09 950 v star smaller rear pulley - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By 950 v star
  • 1 Post By 950 v star
  • 1 Post By bevo1981
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By bevo1981

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

09 950 v star smaller rear pulley

Has anyone swapped out their rear pulley on a 950 v star for a smaller pulley to reduce rpm's at highway speeds? If so, what pulley and how many teeth and did belt need replacement for shorter one?
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. several have swapped out the front pulley with that of a stryker to reduce RPMs. it has 31 teeth. no belt replacement is needed.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
howdy. several have swapped out the front pulley with that of a stryker to reduce RPMs. it has 31 teeth. no belt replacement is needed.
Thanks...but have already made that swap. It certainly helped, but not by much. Still would like to find a smaller rear pulley...
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

been going online in 950 forums for a decade and can't recall ever seeing someone post about swapping out the rear pulley. not sure which would match.
Keith Post likes this.

on a steel horse I ride

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee and a fellow 950 rider. Haven’t read or heard of anyone swapping out the rear pulley, but someone may know about it. Any pics of your 950 you’d like to share with us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
Here's a thread that might help.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...y-tonight.html

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:08 PM
KCW

Garage
this comes up frequently with the smaller engine vstar bikes

If you are use to riding a Harley with its long throw low RPM engine, then vstar bikes will sound and feel like the engine is rev'ing too fast. But the Vstar engines are made with wider pistons with a shorter throw length. Vstar bikes rev higher, and they have more power per CC.

When I got my license I was planning to get a HD Iron 883. Its rated at 45HP. A VStar 650 is 40 hp. For the displacement increase an 883 would be 54HP if they used the vstar engine format.

People do some bad things to Vstar bikes to make them feel and sound more like a HD. For one, they reduce the idle speed. Its suppose to be 1200 rpm. If you slow it down so it putt putt putts like a HD, the oil pump will not build enough pressure at idle to keep the overhead cam bearings pressurized and flowing with oil.

Depending on which bike you have, the lower compression engines will let you ride with the RPMs down pretty low, as long as you dont let it drop below ~1500. On my 650 I can take corners in 3rd gear, and I can ride thru town at 35 in 5th gear. The engine will not shudder or balk. When I get to the edge of town and the speed limit changes to 55, rotate the throttle up and the bike winds right up to 60 all in one smooth climb, picking up HP as it gets to the higher rpms.

Its a surreal feeling, the bike accelerates faster at the higher speed, because the engine is reaching its peak HP rpm.

I get that it sounds like it needs another gear at 75mph, but it doesnt. Its designed to run that way, and it will run at 80mph all day long.

The bigger engines, like the 1300 on the Royal Star V4, and the 1600 and 1700 bikes have a higher compression ratio. Not high enough that you cannot use regular octane gas, but they will shudder if you let the engine rpms drop too far, and then get on the throttle hard.

The Royal Star has a great transmission gearing for cruising. 5th gear is 0.75, and its a V4. At 80mph its just purring along, and sounds great with its quad independent exhaust pipes.

Im really pleased with the two bikes I have now, the 650 is great for commuting, riding around town and the 1300 Royal Star comes out of the garage for longer road trips, and riding at higher speeds.

I paid $3300 for the VS650 6 years ago and have put 25k miles on it, and paid $2500 for the Royal Star last fall. I could easily spend that much total on just one HD bike, and not have the same utility.

Last edited by KCW; 03-14-2019 at 07:25 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post

i THOUGHT he did! but i looked and looked and couldn't find that post so.....
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode