New+first bike fuel issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New+first bike fuel issues

So I'm getting my pops old bike up and running (trying to anyway), he lost the one key we had for it years ago, and never did anything with it because he wanted/wants to take it to someone to fix it for him, but it's a 1100 v star and the forks were locked. We got it to the shed and it's still there. I have gotten the key switch off and a blank ready so that's nearly delt with.
What I'm running into is questions of fuel. I took the tank off and it feels about half full. I took the petcock apart and the fuel was so old it looks like mud. I Order a new petcock, and I'm going to try to get new fuel lines and filter at work, but I don't want to replace the pump if I can help it, so question time.
Is it possible to clean any of the sludge out of the pump without ruining it and preferably with out digging it out of the bike? I'm considering opening the lines on either side and pumping a mixture of clean fuel and seafoam deep clean, I also may spray/pump brake cleaner first to help it out.
Any help is appreciated and I thank you for your time.
KCW and CanadianMohawk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM
KCW

Garage
its easy to pull the fuel line off the tank petcock and the line that goes to the carbs, put an external fuel bottle on the pump and run fuel and carb cleaner thru it.

I would ditch the fuel filter before you do this too, and get a new one.

If the tank is not full of rust and you run the pump till the fuel comes out clear, you hit the worst parts.

BTW, the fuel pump runs when you turn the key on with the kill switch = Live. I think it only runs for a few seconds, or maybe it runs till it builds back pressure - either way you might have to cycle the key a few times to run it repeatedly.

The real question is what was done to the carbs when the bike was last used? If the petcock was turned off and the engine run till the float bowls ran dry, you wont have any of that goop from the tank in the carbs... but things could be dried out in there, possibly corroded and green, and the floats might stick till you flush some carb cleaner thru them.

If the gas was left in the float bowls it might have all evaporated out and left goo in your jets.

If it were me, either way, clean fuel tank, lines, filter, fuel pump... then with carb cleaner / seafoam in fresh gas (follow the directions, dont put half a can in 2 gallons of gas)... turn the key on, let the pump fill the carbs and see if it starts.

IF the bike will start up and run at all, you have a 50:50 chance that carb cleaner will flush out the jets and passage. It might take a good 200 miles of riding hard to get it running well, but if its running at all then fuel and cleaner is flushing thru the jets, and they might do the job,

If it simple wont start, or it only starts on one cylinder (make sure both exhaust pipes are getting hot...) or if the floats stick and fuel comes out the over flow tube and it wont stop after a few minutes... then you will have to take the carbs apart and have at it with the infamous craigslist wording "Needs TLC"
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:47 AM
KCW

Garage
BTE there is a recent new thread about cleaning the carbs on a VS650 - its very similar to an 1100 - videos will give you an idea of what you are looking at:

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...eo-series.html
Keith Post and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm planning on/in the process of removing the carbs to clean, because Dad never turned off the fuel, and replacing the filter. I want to avoid the running rough stage. Could I just jump the pump straight from the battery I'm buying today?
Also the newest inspection report I found is from 2007 and that is about right for how long it has been sitting. Other than the fuel systems, the oil, and tires is there anything else I need to be concerned about not working after sitting for so long?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:11 AM
KCW

Garage
nothing to worry about... the shocks on the front you are already dealing with. the rear monoshock might be ok

You will want to lube the throttle and clutch cables, and make sure they are not sticking, adjust the clutch freeplay while you are at it.

You dont have to flush the brake fluid right away, but do make sure the front brake engages and releases without hanging up, and the rear brake (forget if yours is a pull bar or hydraulic disk).

the brake fluid absorbs water from the air over time, so you will want to replace it eventually. If you are not sure how to do this get the service manual (should be able to find it online in PDF format for free) - just make sure you dont pump the brakes when the reservoir is empty, if you get air in the master cylinders it goes from a 10 minute job to hell.
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Garage
Welcome from East Tennessee. You will get the best advice from the best members here.
Be sure to share some pics with us as you continue to get er running again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonMaz2112 likes this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I haven't messed with the shocks or forks ( I'm hoping to not need to rebuild them until I can afford to replace them they are horribly corroded) the clutch and front brake seem to be fine (master sight glass is hard to read). The throttle is stuck and rear brake needs help.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Looks like KCW is heading you in the right direction. Getting it going is great but don't forget the brakes, I like being able to stop. Here's a must read for new 1100 owners.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list

Also a link to free owners and repair manuals.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...ibrary/manuals

Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic, Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting bit of a update just took the bowl off the right side carb to find this (if the images fails to work the bowl look clean and new almost) the Jets look nearly as clean, I am about to check the other carb but if it's just as clean then I just need to free up the butterflies and put it back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15537380094251016830027_1553738039718.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	83670  
Yamaha Pat and JonMaz2112 like this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Would it be possible to use felt gasket maker to replace the oring for these bowls cause they are fragile and the second one broke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15537380094251016830027_1553738050994.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	83672  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode