New here - V-Star 950 - and pics of my first "improvement" (rear fender) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

New here - V-Star 950 - and pics of my first "improvement" (rear fender)

Awesome forum. Figured I'd throw some pics in my first post.

Improvement in quotes because I know that looks and mods are very subjective to personal taste.

Seen tons of amazing bikes here, so here's mine!

Spent this afternoon working on the rear fender for a much cleaner look - with some more touch ups to go.

(before and after) (sorry if pics are huge ill try to edit!, or upload another way - trying to figure it out!)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_174923.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	83752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20190406_162339_LI.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	83754  

Last edited by VistaChris; 04-06-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: fix pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:25 PM
KCW

Garage
nice clean naked 950

my bike photos are in the garage page
<= over there - click on the thumbnails in the garage page to see the larger photos

I left the passenger seat on my 650 for a couple years, no one ever rode with me, so I took it off for a while, then replaced it with the trunk

took the passenger seat off the Royal Star the day I got it home.

I have windshields for both bikes, but they stay in the garage unless its very cold, or I have to ride on the thruway

I like motorcycles that are as simple as possible.
Keith Post and VistaChris like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
nice clean naked 950

my bike photos are in the garage page
<= over there - click on the thumbnails in the garage page to see the larger photos

I left the passenger seat on my 650 for a couple years, no one ever rode with me, so I took it off for a while, then replaced it with the trunk

took the passenger seat off the Royal Star the day I got it home.

I have windshields for both bikes, but they stay in the garage unless its very cold, or I have to ride on the thruway

I like motorcycles that are as simple as possible.
I took off the passenger seat because no one to ride as well. My fiance has her own bike.

I also prefer the really clean look and I have more work to do to get it where I want it. That chrome trim around the Ursa fender - very nice, custom?

I plugged the fender holes from seat removal with... believe it or not... "hole plugs" - from home depot. Buck a piece. I might paint em.

This is my daily driver and my commute doesn't involve the highway so no windshield, but I'd like to get something simple and easy to put on/take off if I needed to.

Any suggestions?
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Very nice, clean bike.

I use IMGG to upload pics. It's easy to use and they show up full sized. Just go to the IMGG website, upload your pic, in the embed code choose BBCode Full Linked, then copy and paste the link in your post. Works great and it's free.
Keith Post and VistaChris like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:42 PM

Garage
I agree with the clean simple look and I think you achieved that. Nice color too!
Welcome to the forum, my better half and I each ride a 950, neither one of ours are bone stock, but we tried to keep each bike simple. Mostly we did performance enhancements and added LED lighting for night riding. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VistaChris likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:51 PM

Looking good!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:45 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaChris View Post
... That chrome trim around the Ursa fender - very nice, custom? .....
Ursa (the she-bear) is a 2000 Royal Star Boulevard. It was a factory upgrade from the base model that had a windshield, passing lights, saddle bags, and the rhine stones in the seat and a strap down the center of the gas tank.

The original owner added a chrome trim aftermarket set. You can see the Venetian blind looking cover glued over the beautiful chrome domed clutch cover on the right side of the bike, and the crankshaft cover, plates over the carbs, covers over the brake calipers, the webbed cover over the tail light, there are eye lids on the turn signals, running lights and headlight....

Im in the process of taking all that "crap" off the bike. I had to google some photos, the chrome trim on the leading and trailing edges of the fenders appears to be aftermarket - I like those and plan to keep them.

I finally pulled the glued on plate over the clutch housing. There were some gaps in the glue, some water and maybe salt had gotten in there, and there are a couple spots the size of a dime where the chrome was damaged and flaked off. Going to clean those off with a dremil tool and put some paint on the exposed metal, maybe I will put a sticker or bandaid over the spots, or a Yamaha badge or something.

Im keeping a few of the trim bits: the covers over the brake and clutch reservoirs look nice, the covers over the tops of the front fork nuts... In general anything that is not functional just bugs me, I would never go out and buy stuff and stick it on the bike if it has no functional purpose. And most of these chrome add-ons are covering things like the engine mount bolts, that I would like to be able to see, in case they are backing off, or rusting.

For a windshield a good place to start looking is Bikebandit.com or revzilla. There are a couple websites that have tutorials or buyers guides, will give you an ideal of whats out there. I held off 4 years before I decided to get the one on my 650, thinking I could get on the thruway and ride 100 miles between cities quickly. I also had to add fork deflectors to stop the helmet "buffeting" at 70mph. I spent about $500 total, and installed them myself.

If you get a windshield look into it a bit before you jump. I recommend a quick release mount so you can put it on or take it off in seconds. I got a Memphis Shades "fats" (wide) windshield with their "trigger" locks, and I got their fork deflectors too. Good quality stuff.

Last edited by KCW; 04-07-2019 at 06:08 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 AM
KCW

Garage
... I realized I was not logged in after typing all that ^ so I <cntl> C copied and logged in before I lost it all :^)

OK... here's the thing with windshields - they kinda suck. If you get a traditional HD motorcycle cop shape windshield that looks like it belongs on a cruiser bike, you can get it tweaked in so its tolerable on the interstate at 65 to 85mph. It will keep you from feeling like you will be blown off the bike if you let go of the grips, but it will be noisy still, it will pull a lot of power out of the engine, esp on a smaller bike (need more throttle to hold the same speed) and if you get one that is slightly too short or you cant get it adjusted just right, the laminar wind that comes off the top edge of the windshield is thrown up and over your helmet, and at some distance it goes turbulent and chaotic. If that happens right where your helmet it, it feels like someone is holding an orbital sander on your skull. Your eyes vibrate so much you cannot read road signs, everything is a blur. Your brain is literally hitting the inside of your skull, and you will get a headache in a manner of minutes, because you are getting a mild concussion.

You can not ride like this: its called head buffeting. Its far worse than riding with no windshield. With no windshield you get a lot of wind blast, but its nice lamiar smooth flow hitting your helmet.

You cant see it, so its hard to adjust it out. Its like water flowing thru rapids - when the water flows over a big smooth rock its a nice laminar flow - right after the rock the water goes turbulant and becomes white foam. That is the stuff that makes you feel like your head is in a paint can shaker.

If you really want a highway 85mph bike the best route is to get a fairing, like a bat wing, or the things that are on Goldwings and the New Venture. I dont think they look right on a cruiser bike.

The other thing I have found: I put the windshield on my bike and ride 90 miles from Rochester to Buffalo or Niagara Falls on the thruway at 75mph, and its ok... When I get there and slow down to 40 to 50mph, there is zero airflow over me behind the windshield. On a sunny day I am now stewing in my own juices. I took the thruway to Buffalo once, and decided to take a secondary road back to Rochester, and I was absolutely miserable all the way back. I was seriously considering taking the WS off the bike halfway home and leaving it in a cemetery on the side of the road.

A windshield does have one good use: if you are going to ride when its cold, like 40 to 60F cold, then at commuting speeds it will keep the wind blast off you, there is no head buffeting below 60mph, and when you stop you are not baking in the sun if its cold out. I use the WS on my 650 for commuting late in the fall and this time of year in the spring - but as soon as it warms up they mostly stay in the garage.

Half of the experience of riding a motorcycle is the feeling that you are floating down the road, almost like the sensation of flying. The experience of being out "in" the world, not being in a vehicle watching the world go by. Take away the wind and most of that feeling is gone.

BTW, the best thing Ive added to my bikes that really improves the quality of the ride and the feeling of being secure is a drivers backrest. Having just a little bit of something to lean back into lets you relax a lot of muscles in your lower back, and you dont feel like you are sitting on a bar stool for hours.

I know a drivers back rest looks odd on a MC when you are not riding, but I dont sit and look at my bike when Im not riding it.
Dabluz and Boots like this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-07-2019 at 06:31 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:14 AM

Garage
Nice 950, I have an 09 in blue. Well, now my wife has an 09 in blue. She upgraded to it after learning on a 650 last year, and I got to upgrade to a 12 model Road Star. A company called Rush makes a very nice slip on exhaust for the 950. I have it on mine and it sounds great. I went with the 1.75 inch baffle. Also, you wont have to use any kind of power commander or anything with a slip on. Just slap it on and go ride. 950's are very fun, surprisingly quick little bikes. Have fun, and welcome!
Keith Post likes this.

I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:04 AM

I completely agree with the windshield topic. I have a 2012 950 Tourer and had the windshield removed for a while. I commute to work on the highway everyday and the wind was pretty brutal over 60 mph. Plus I felt having a tourer with no windshield looked kind of funny. So windshield back on for now. I do get the head buffeting from time to time. Usually I just slow it down some. I’m thinking about some fork deflectors. I’m about 6’1 so if I was shorter it might not be a problem. I also considered a batwing fairing but might just wait until I upgrade to a bigger bike. I also think a better quality helmet would help with the loudness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode