Greetings from New Brunswick Canada! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Greetings from New Brunswick Canada!

Hi all! New to this forum, don't have a Yamaha yet, thinking of purchasing a V-Star, either a 950 or a 1300.

I presently ride a Kawasaki Versys 650, and have had 5 previous bikes including a ZX14, a M109r and a Marauder 1600, so I've had my share of powerful bikes.

As I get older, I find that power is not something that I look for anymore. It's fun, can't deny that, but after riding a nimble Versys, I must admit that it is way more fun using all the power of the bike and not just occasionally punching the gas for a quick 0 to 100.

Which now brings me to the following question: which one do you recommend, 950 or 1300? I like the look of the 950 more, but is it adequate for long rides, or would the 1300 be better suited for this sort of task? Im riding alone, btw. From all the videos I've viewed on youtube, seems either bike is great.

I am going to try both as soon as the friggin weather permits up here in Canada...

Thanks for any advice!
Keith Post, JonMaz2112 and bpounds like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 PM

Garage
Welcome from just down the road in Riverview. I haven't ridden either the 950 or the 1300 so I can't speak for those, but I know some of our other members have them and will chime in.

When I returned to biking a couple of years ago I looked at a few different bikes. I almost bought a 900 Vulcan but my wife expressed an interest in riding with me and I wasn't sure it would be big enough for two up on the highway. So I got a VStar 1100, and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. It's light and nimble enough to maneuver around town and still had adequate power on the highway. We discovered we want to do more touring so I upgraded to a bigger bike this year but I still have my VStar and wish I could keep it too.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted. Maybe start a new thread once you find your new ride as not everyone reads the introduction forum.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Welcome from just down the road in Riverview. I haven't ridden either the 950 or the 1300 so I can't speak for those, but I know some of our other members have them and will chime in.

When I returned to biking a couple of years ago I looked at a few different bikes. I almost bought a 900 Vulcan but my wife expressed an interest in riding with me and I wasn't sure it would be big enough for two up on the highway. So I got a VStar 1100, and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. It's light and nimble enough to maneuver around town and still had adequate power on the highway. We discovered we want to do more touring so I upgraded to a bigger bike this year but I still have my VStar and wish I could keep it too.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted. Maybe start a new thread once you find your new ride as not everyone reads the introduction forum.
Small world... my mother lives in Riverview!

Waiting for a nice day to ride to Toys for big boys and try out a few used v-stars. They actually have the 950, 1300 as well as the Stratoliner so I will try all 3 and decide after. I'm over needing the biggest bike (ZX14 and M109R) and aiming for a balance between power, comfort and handling while being fun.
Keith Post and JonMaz2112 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I'm sure many will give their options on the 950 Vs 1300. Unfortunately I've owned neither one. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
I was at Toys for the bless the bikes event on Saturday and I looked at the 1300. Beautiful bike and looks to be in good shape.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 PM
KCW

Garage
which bike to get depends on your preferences

Yamaha started out the Vstar Cruiser line with two well proven engines, and put them in the Vstar 650 and 1100

Vtwins, overhead cams with rocker arms and timing chains, clearance adjustable with an allen wrench , twin carbs, mono shock, electronic ignition.

They took the 1300 V4 proven engine from the Vmax / venture touring bikes and made everything from a base model Crusier (Royal Star) to a royal star touring bike with classic windshield and saddle bags, and continued the Royal Star Venture with a fairing, hard bags, and full passenger seat. The V4 is water cooled with overhead cams, started with 4 carbs, and at some point Im pretty sure it switched over to fuel injection. The Royal Star V4 bikes are the closest thing to a Goldwing, but without the horizontal 4 or 6 engine, it does have some vibration at highway speeds, esp when you get on the throttle.

Going up in size they made the Vtwin Road star bikes, 1600 then 1700, with push rods, air cooled, one carb fuels both cylinders. This is the simplist Vtwin big engine bike you can get: no timing chains, no fuel injection (until later years), no coolant or radiators. The Stratoliner and Road Liner are upgraded bikes with versions of the same engine.

In between they made the water cooled fuel injection 950 and Vstar 1300 Vtwins.

If you know what you prefer in engine design, there is a Vstar bike out there for you.

I feel obliged to point out: Yamaha stopped making all these great, highly reliable bikes. The only Vtwin they sell now is the New Venture transcontinental touring bike, which is in a class all by itself.

Last edited by KCW; 05-13-2019 at 07:15 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I'm sure many will give their options on the 950 Vs 1300. Unfortunately I've owned neither one. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Thanks for the links!
Keith Post and lesblank like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:24 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Pat View Post
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Thanks! Lucky you, year round riding. It's still too cold up here for any long ride...freezing your keister after 30min...
Yamaha Pat likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:18 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee.
My wife and I both ride the 950. We love them, however for 2up riding and for long trips, the 1300 is a better choice in my opinion. The 1300 is what we’re looking at upgrading to, but I encourage you to go test ride each one and see how they feel to you. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonMaz2112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode