Give me your .02˘ on my setup - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Give me your .02˘ on my setup

Hey guys, I wanted to put my bike out here to have some people look over and give their two cents. I bought this from my girlfriend's father last season after selling my 1200 Sportster to my friend. I always thought of my Vstar as a dad bike considering where j bought it haha.

So I put on a Kuryakyn Velociraptor air cleaner, V&H 2-2 pipes and the Cobra PowrPro Blk FMS. I just had the 5k mile maintenance done at the Triumph and Yamaha Dealership/Shop here in Fredrick (the bike just hit 6 or 7k miles). I asked them to look over the mods I put on and they said it was all working good except I didn't tighten the fuel tank bolts completely after installing the FMS on the injectors.

The bike has been running great. I take it to work maybe 1-3 times a week and that's a good 70mile roundtrip. My gf and I also take it on some trips to farms and small towns and covered bridges around western MD on the weekends. I noticed I slouch, in my whole daily routine, and it doesn't help that I love to ride my Vstar and other Mud toys. I also love ape hangers and wanted to get a set for the Star. Today I tilted up the stock bars and adjusted the clutch and brake levers as well as the control switches and mirrors. It looks a bit awkward but I still love the more apeish feel to them. I wanted to know if anyone else has done the same.

I do plan on getting a set of 10 or 12inch apes/miniapes. I don't want to replace the stock cables but want as much height as I can get. (After looking on the forum I actually did see someone with 12inch apes and the stock cables, jhick or someone like that) I could really use a replacement riser that draws the bars farther back So I do not have to reach forward for them. The riser couldn't give much more height than the stock risers due to the handlebar height I want to achieve and the length of the stock cables. If anyone can give advice on a handlebar set up that would be great!

I would also love a simple blinker and tailight replacement kit with some smaller blinkers, mayb. I also would love to relocate the license plate where maybe it's a good bit hidden for when I don't want to slow down for speed cameras. Let me know what y'all have!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190601_164323_1559437998626.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	84290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190601_164341_1559438015039.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	84292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190601_164413_1559438030317.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	84294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190601_164359_1559438048417.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	84296  
Keith Post and Cliffieg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:19 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Good looking bike. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...on-garage.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:49 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Garage
Welcome from NW Arkansas!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Keith Post likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

not bad, but it will run even quicker once you take the warning sticker off the gas tank
Keith Post, lesblank, KCW and 1 others like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Hahah Bevo yes the drag would decrease if I took the stickers off. I wanted to do that as well, I want to take the Vstar logo off the tank but noticed it is under the clear coat. Can I just use a razor with care and then clear coat the tank again? The caution sticker is just a sticker and yes I'm going to take that off haha
Keith Post and lesblank like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

not sure about the tank logo as i had mine painted.
if you want smaller blinkers, consider getting LED strips. Low & Mean have some for the rear and custom dynamics is a good place to look for the front. and you can relocate your license plate to the axle bolt with a kuryakyn mount and plate holder. this is what i have on mine:

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:10 PM
KCW

Garage
ok...

.02˘ is 1/50th of a penny so dont expect much value here

( I tried to explain to the guy behind the counter at an ice cream shop that their .99˘ milkshake special is less than 1˘ last summer. All I got back was a blank stare).

The bike does look odd with the handlebars angled forward more than the line coming up off the forks, kinda like you got the front wheel spun around backwards. It looks like the grips are at an odd angle now, pointed up, making you twist your wrists to hold the grips?

If you have no problem riding with your hands that high then putting ape's on it should be no issue, and should put the grips level again. I tried putting the handlebars on my Royal Star

<= Ursa in the garage photos

so they were in line with the fork angle, and it was too high for me - my hands were completely numb 3 miles down the road. Maybe you have higher blood pressure than me, but I cant ride like that... but it looks great.

I recommend you go online and find the MSF riding course text, and read the section on loading luggage and stuff on your motorcycle. That bag back behind the passenger seat is the worse possible place to put anything. Its like giving someone a lever 10 feet long they can use to jerk your bike around while you are riding it. The best place for carrying stuff on a motorcycle is a tank bag, and then traditional saddle bags. I cant say this strongly enough: put that suitcase thing in that Blue Herby Curby in your neighbors driveway - that thing will get you killed.

I de-badged my VS650 right after I got it, the logo on my gas tank was the plastic emblem held on with sticky foam tape. Getting the "Classic" decals off the front fender was a real pain. they were not under the paint, but the glue was very difficult to remove. The original owner of Ursa took all the badges off before I got it.

I drive thru Fredrick all the time on the way to visit family in Raliegh, on 15 from upstate NY, to Leesburg, and then 17 to Fredricksburg VA (by passing the DC I95 nightmare). Planning to make the trip on Ursa when I can... maybe this summer. Been thru western Maryland on 219 before - great motorcycle roads.

You got a great bike, they are the most reliable MC you can get these days. Welcome to the forum.

You dont have to be crazy to hang out here, we will train you.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 06-02-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Bevo thanks for the ideas, I will definitely add those on.

KCW, I believe you about the loading and that bag. If I were to have bought it I would have gone with saddlebags as well, but it was from my GF's dad and I'm still trying to de-dad it. But there's usually never anything in that bag so it doesn't do much except add some nice drag to the ride, but seems useful for those times that my girlfriend really wants some little doodad from an antique store. I've been riding around Fredrick and there's a bunch of good roads, my neighbors father even stopped by twice trying to ride, but caught me just after a nice cruise and in the middle of a nap.
Keith Post likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
not sure about the tank logo as i had mine painted.
if you want smaller blinkers, consider getting LED strips. Low & Mean have some for the rear and custom dynamics is a good place to look for the front. and you can relocate your license plate to the axle bolt with a kuryakyn mount and plate holder. this is what i have on mine:

So why do you recommend different sellers for the front and back light strips? I looked a bit at both, there are the cheap a** led strips on Amazon but I'm assuming those are not pshhh and will break or mess up with he electronics
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode