Introduction - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Austin_diesel98
  • 1 Post By Austin_diesel98
  • 1 Post By Redbird58

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Introduction

Nice to meet everyone! I have a 2000 Yamaha Vstar 650, Vance & Hines pipes, Vance & Hines dyno jet kit, k&n oil and air filters. Here to ask questions which i definitely have some. For starters, I cant seem to find a good Led headlight kit for my year. All the ones i see are universals and they dont appear to have the mounts mine has. I recently bought the bike and I am in the process of "rebuilding" it. Carb re build, top end work, plus the headlight is missing. So no mounts just the can and harness. Thank you in advance for any tips or advice you give!
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:45 PM
KCW

Garage
interesting

how many miles are on the engine?

I dont think I remember anyone having to work on the valves, bearings, rings... except one guy who was getting blow-by past the rings and his bike was blowing oil out the crankcase breather hose into the air intake

and I think he got another engine from a parts bike.

A couple guys have put wilder cams in their bikes, but in general these machine run for a good 100k miles before you need to tear into them.

Last edited by KCW; 06-26-2019 at 02:48 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:50 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. As you can see, our members will step up and help you in any way we can. Post your questions in the proper forum for best visibility. Love to see some pics too.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
interesting

how many miles are on the engine?

I dont think I remember anyone having to work on the valves, bearings, rings... except one guy who was getting blow-by past the rings and his bike was blowing oil out the crankcase breather hose into the air intake

and I think he got another engine from a parts bike.

A couple guys have put wilder cams in their bikes, but in general these machine run for a good 100k miles before you need to tear into them.

(12k miles)I rebuilt the top end because the guy I bought the bike from said he has his buddy replace the valves so he can sell it running ( i assume he floated a valve or something of the sort and smashed the vlave) I had heard a ping and immediately just decided to rebuild it. His buddy forgot a keeper. And im surprised it didn't drop or float a valve. Im a diesel guy and pretty new to bike engines. Runs fine now. But the headlight situation is my concern at the moment.
KCW likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Post your headlight question here:
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/
You will get better exposure and responses, not every one reads the introductions.
Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...on-garage.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Garage
Welcome from Columbus, OH! You will find many tips and helpful people on this forum. Since you have the 650 you may want to check out the for sale thread at towards the bottom of the home page. There is a post by @robbz28 that has all kinds of 650 parts for free. He turned his into a bobber. All he asks is that you pay for shipping from Louisiana.
lesblank likes this.

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Cobra Exhaust and Floorboards
Recent Mods: Added OEM passing lamps
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit
Custom Dynamics Rear Red Turn lenses

Looking for new seat and taller windshield

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 AM
KCW

Garage
No one has jumped on your LED headlight question.

If you post it in the forum for your bike more people will notice it, and put the words LED HEADLIGHT right up front in the subject line, so it shows up in the recent discussion list on the right side of the page.

The subject comes up frequently. I put Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in my bikes, they are noticeably brighter than stock bulbs, but they have two drawbacks - they only last for about 5000 miles of riding (about once a year for me) and they are expensive. But the advantage is the filament is in the same place as the stock lamps, so the reflector works the way it should.

which brings us to the primary issue with LED replacement lamps: the LED element is not in the same spot as the lamp filament, and does not emit light in the same pattern, so if you use the stock headlight lens and reflector you will not get the correct focus of the light. Several people have done this "cheap" version of LED upgrade and were disappointed.

If you are going to get an LED headlight you really want the entire assembly: Bucket, reflector, lens... and then you can get some really impressive improvement over the stock headlight ... but... its going to cost you.

Since you need the lamp reflector assembly anyway it will be a better tradeoff for you.

another option is to use the stock headlight and bulb and add focused driving/passing lights, and tie them to your highbeams. There are small bullet lights for this that work very well.

If you start a thread in the general section for your bike you will get more answers to your question. The new rider intro page gets ignored by a lot of members.

Last edited by KCW; 06-27-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
No one has jumped on your LED headlight question.

If you post it in the forum for your bike more people will notice it, and put the words LED HEADLIGHT right up front in the subject line, so it shows up in the recent discussion list on the right side of the page.

The subject comes up frequently. I put Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in my bikes, they are noticeably brighter than stock bulbs, but they have two drawbacks - they only last for about 5000 miles of riding (about once a year for me) and they are expensive. But the advantage is the filament is in the same place as the stock lamps, so the reflector works the way it should.

which brings us to the primary issue with LED replacement lamps: the LED element is not in the same spot as the lamp filament, and does not emit light in the same pattern, so if you use the stock headlight lens and reflector you will not get the correct focus of the light. Several people have done this "cheap" version of LED upgrade and were disappointed.

If you are going to get an LED headlight you really want the entire assembly: Bucket, reflector, lens... and then you can get some really impressive improvement over the stock headlight ... but... its going to cost you.

Since you need the lamp reflector assembly anyway it will be a better tradeoff for you.

another option is to use the stock headlight and bulb and add focused driving/passing lights, and tie them to your highbeams. There are small bullet lights for this that work very well.

If you start a thread in the general section for your bike you will get more answers to your question. The new rider intro page gets ignored by a lot of members.

Thank you for the information. I started the thread over there. Really appreciate the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode