Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Sayin Hi

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  NeTexas 
#1 ·
Hello from Texas. I recently got a 2005 vstar 650, and I love it. I have been out of motorcycles for about 25 years, and I was looking for a cruiser and the first bike I test drove was a Suzuki Lc 1500. Wow the bike was massive. I'm a big guy 6'3" 300 lbs and the bike was not what I expected. Too many years out of the saddle. I figured after the test drive to start with a little lighter scoot. People on different Forums say the 650 too small for a big guy, but they're wrong. Unless you want to cruise 80 or faster it's got plenty of power. for me anyhow. Thanks, and ride safe! Steve

#2 ·
650 is one of the most dependable motorcycles you can find.

If you have not already done so, look in the little storage compartment on the left side below the seat (opposite from the battery compartment) you open it with your key, and see if the factory tool set is snapped in the bottom (impossible to see, its all black, have to feel for it).

If you have it get the spanner out, take the seat off, and you will probably want to set the monoshock preload towards its max setting ( i think 6 or 7).

If you dont have the owners manual you can download it for free from the yamaha website, and there is a section on setting the shock preload.

It comes default to 3 from the factory, which is good for a 180 lb rider - and most people never touch it.

#3 ·
Nice intro. I always wondered about the 650 having enough power i am 6'2" 260#. 10 years ago i bought a VTX 1800. After a while it got to be a bit much as i am not getting younger. Sold it expecting to never ride again until the following weekend when i bought my 2001 1100 classic.
Haven't looked back since. Riding my star in the last 2 month more than the last 3 years with the 1800. I think you will enjoy this site. There is a lot of info, nice people and laughs here.

#4 ·
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad to have another Lone Star rider here. By the way, Deeksvstarclassic was hinting towards how we poke at each other. It's all in fun as many of us have been here for a while. I probably have the biggest problem when it comes to immature postings. The 650 is a great bike for one up at your size. Checking the shock pre-load is a great suggestion. What part of our great state are you from? Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/6-new-member-introductions/116742-location-garage.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/5655-yammy-ya-got.html?highlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/110258-where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/25113-how-experienced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

Reactions: Keith Post
#8 ·
Thanks, Guys, I took KCW's advise and cranked up the tension on the monoshock and it rides much better. I'm from Clarksville, in Red River Co. 15 miles from the Oklahoma border. About an hour from the mountains in So Okla. and. Ark. The FM roads in my county are twisty, shaded pretty much unoccupied. Except for critters. I really didn't know I missed riding so much, glad to be back in the saddle. And it's good to find a bunch of down to earth folks. Ride safe!

#25 ·
My wife's folks are from Chicota near Pat Mayse Lake. You're right, the roads out there are excellent rides. We rode from Bonham up 273 to 100 to 79 to 197 through Chicota, all FMs. Had a great time. Then up US271 to Antlers. That was a good day on the bike. That part of OK from Antlers up to the northeast is a great ride, too.

I did the same thing you did: picked the 650 to get re-acquainted with riding. That is a wise choice. It's a well designed bike. Very maneuverable. Put many happy miles on it.

#9 ·
was there a tool kit still in the storage compartment?

a lot of people buying the bikes used dont know its in there, it locks in so well, and you cant see it

but the factory spanner works perfectly for the monoshock - the rest of the tools are not very useful

#11 · (Edited)
Something else to check with you being tall is the handlebar position. If you need a little more arm room you can rotate the bars forward. Might need to move them back and forth a few times to find the best position. I'm short and have to rotate them back for a more comfortable ride. Oh, don't forget to tighten them up good after you adjust, they will rotate on you, especially on the first hard stop. Don't ask how I know that. ����

#14 ·
...don't forget to tighten them up good after you adjust, they will rotate on you, especially on the first hard stop. ..
and by good Les means:

Handlebar clamp bolts: 16.5 ft-lbs

#20 ·
Just be careful, some touque values are inch pounds and not foot pounds.

#22 ·
no no no

inch pounds means as you tighten it up, just inch the wrench tighter and tighter

do not pound it with your foot

16 foot pounds is a lot of stomping on the wrench....

#24 ·
^ any lube you spray on the threads before loosening will reduce the strain on the bolt as you take it back off.

was looking up websites on the effect of using lube on bolts when you torque them

now I know how I ruined the lug nuts on my last 4 cars

after several years the lug nuts would all get tight, I could not spin them off without the wrench all the way

always use anti-seize on my lugs nuts

websites I looked at today says anti-seize increases the tension force on a bolt by 70%

so when I torqued them to 90ft-lbs, it had the tension of being torqued to 153 ft-lbs, deformed the threads on the lug nuts and the studs

Torque set to 53 ft-lbs on a bolt with anti-seize = 90 ft-lbs (dry fastener) tension on the threads.

Dang!

Other lubes have less of a tension-gain, most oils increase the tension by 25% - so torque wrench must be turned down accordingly, unless the torque spec is called out as wet, or lubed fastener torque.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#26 ·
NeTexas

you have not mentioned yet what is on your bike

If your bike has a windshield and you are riding on secondary roads up to maybe 60...65mph I strongly recommend you take the WS off the bike for a while

the 650 is a very different bike naked from fully dressed with WS and saddle bags

to put it another way, the WS sucks a lot of life out of it, and cuts you off from the wind in your face feedback feeling of riding a motorcycle.

#28 ·
Seafoam would be good for cleaning the anti-seize off the lug nuts and studs on the wheels

actually thinking of doing that with my Fusion - I know the wheels are over-torqued on that car too, because I put anti-seize on them.

the problem is, if its on there and I only torque it to 60 ft lbs, when I take the car to get it inspected, or to get the tires changed, they will torque it to spec: 90 ft-lbs, which will be 70% over.

Its best to just not use it.

Fortunately I have never put the stuff on my motorbikes.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#30 ·
Hey Guys, When I got my 650 classic, it had a silverado wind screen, passenger rest and luggage rack. When I rode the bike home the bars were pulled back and low,and tight. Later that night I moved bars as far forward as the wind screen would let me, and removed the pillion and BR. and now after advise from you guys, I took off the wind screen and then It enabled me to move the bars way forward. now it fits me a whole lot more gooder. no really opened it up. Thanks, Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.