New Guy... Vstar 1100 Starter Clutch Issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Rockin Rick
  • 1 Post By Yamaha Pat
  • 1 Post By AlphaOmega
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Deeksvstarclassic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Cool New Guy... Vstar 1100 Starter Clutch Issues

Hello Everyone! Thanks for letting me post....

I have a 2003 1100 Vstar and I blew the starter clutch myself by giving it throttle and trying to start it. My Bad...
Didn't know until reading threads you NEVER give it gas when starting.

So... purchased new genuine Yamaha starter clutch kit from Ebay, and took bike to an authorized Yamaha dealership, got the bike back after 33 days.
(Promised 7 - 10) Went for a happy ride 70 miles North... turned it off... went to start it again, and same exact symptom.

Got it back to the Yamaha dealer again, they are claiming defective part and told me I need to go to Seller of kit to start a warranty claim with genuine Yamaha parts.. So I called the selling dealership that sold me the kit from Ebay, and they want the defective part(s) before they will file a claim.

Dang... I just want to ride....

Selling dealership for the kit says that the shop that worked on it just needs a copy of receipt to start their own claim.
Said they sold hundreds of these kits and never had a bad part.. thinks that shop that worked on it did something wrong??

Could there be other issues that caused the brand new start clutch kit to blow??

Stuck now waiting for someone to do something...
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:38 PM

Can't help with your problem but welcome from Sacramento, Ca.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Garage
A highly recommended thing to do when replacing the starter clutch is to replace the starter as well. If yours is a true 03, then you have the updated/upgraded starter already. One thing to look at is the long bolts on the starter housing to ensure that they haven't been twisted. More so, the body of the starter is twisted compared to the head of the starter. Happens from the torque from starting over time. Replacing the bolts may gain a little bit of time. As for one or two starts and blowing the sprag gear out, I'm not sure that could happen that quickly. I hate to know the price tag associated with going with genuine parts and dealership pricing. I swapped my 02 out in an afternoon with an "upgraded" kit off of eBay and thankfully haven't had any issues with it. There are a few springs that wanted to fall out, but it just took a little attention to make sure they went back in place. Other than that, there are concerns over getting the timing out of whack while you have everything off, but don't imagine it would have started and ran without a racket if the timing was off.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:07 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Can't help much with starter clutch issue, except on customer provided parts the installer is only going to cover labor and part seller will cover the part provided installer can document 100% correct installation. I'm in the business and have seen these situations many times, odds are 50/50. Hope it works out for you. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...on-garage.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Garage
Good luck dealing with the dealers.
Keith Post likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Garage
Welcome from East Tennessee. Hope you get the situation resolved and in a timely matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:17 PM
KCW

Garage
point the dealership that sold the genuine new yamaha parts on ebay at the dealership that installed it

and let them slug it out between themselves

it is not unusual for one dealership to get factory parts from another, you just got caught in between
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode