New Vstar owner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

New Vstar owner

I'm a 73 year old guy and just bought an old 2009 Vstar 950 T and trying to get riding again. Had a golf ball sized tumor removed from my brain last June and gave up riding and sold my old bike. So far I'm just getting on and off and trying to orient myself again but I hope I can ride in a few weeks. Never had Yamaha but my brother has a Vstar 1300 and loves it. I'm sure I'll need a lot of help but will try not to bug everyone too much.
Keith Post, KCW, graybeard and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:23 AM

Garage
Welcome from Columbus, OH! The 950 is a nice bike. I bought one last year and I love it. Do not worry about bugging people. There are some great people here with tons of knowledge and are willing to assist. Good luck and happy riding!

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Cobra Exhaust and Floorboards
Recent Mods: Added OEM passing lamps
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit
Custom Dynamics Rear Red Turn lenses

Looking for new seat and taller windshield

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Garage
Udawg, keep us posted with your progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=Redbird58;1010348 Do not worry about bugging people. There are some great people here with tons of knowledge and are willing to assist. Good luck and happy riding![/QUOTE]

Don't worry about bugging us that is what we are here for. Hope you continue to improve and get that bike on the road, I am sure you will like it.
Welcome and good riding!
Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 AM
KCW

Garage
if you are feeling a bit insecure on the bike and getting back into riding, I recommend you put an engine guard / crash bar on the front of the bike

a few weeks after I got Ursa (my Royal Star, photos in garage page on left of screen) I was making a slow U turn and went over on its side. The crash bar the previous owner had put on the bike made it a minor annoyance to pick the bike up, no damage to me or the bike, instead of a costly and painful stupid mistake.

whatever you spend on a crash bar will pay for itself the first time that you drop it, it falls off the kickstand, or someone else bumps it over. I plan on putting one on my VS650, which I use mostly for commuting now.

and it goes without saying (but worth typing) wear all your gear, even when practicing slow riding.

Last edited by KCW; 07-11-2019 at 12:23 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and KCW, thanks for the tip. That's a good idea.
Keith Post, KCW, Redbird58 and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udawg View Post
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and KCW, thanks for the tip. That's a good idea.
In time you will see KCW has a lot of good ideas

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Garage
Welcome from a 72 year old 950T rider. Had mine since 2015 (purchased new) and love it more with every ride.

Is yours pure stock or "tweaked"? I opted for some minor tweaking (FI2000, opened the muffler just a bit and a K&N air filter). Also added the factory "passing lamps" for some added visibility (both directions) and the factory crash bar. Both are worth considering (IMHO).

Again welcome!! Take it slow, but you know what they say: "it's like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget" - even in our 70's!

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 2lane, Mine is totally stock. Been sitting since 2015. Has 7500 miles on it and all I've done is change the oil to Rotella T6 and a K&N oil filter. I probably will just be using it on the southern Utah canyons at least for a while so the crash bar sounds like a good idea.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. When you ask questions do so in the Vstar forum for best visible and responses. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...on-garage.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post and JonMaz2112 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode