Newest Old Geezer on the block - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Newest Old Geezer on the block

Thought I'd start out proper and introduce myself.
I'm an old geezer just getting back into bike riding.
Rode trail bikes a lot when i was kid and when got drivers license rode the streets for a couple years. Got away from riding for over 40 years.
Now that I'm older and can't play sports and be as active as I used to be, I decided riding bikes would be some fun and a hobby I could enjoy.
Been away from riding for a long time and have a lot to learn.
Recently purchased a 2012 V Star 950 tourer. Iíll be looking for some help from all you experienced riders.
Keith Post, KCW, graybeard and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:45 AM
KCW

Garage
I got my license when I was 56, 6 years ago, and have been loving every minute on two wheels ever since.

A lot has changed over the years. If you presently do no have your MC license I recommend you sign up for the MSF beginners course - its 3 days, you get to learn on their nice honda 250s, and on the last day you get your MC license stamp - and about 10% off your MC insurance for the rest of your life.

If you have your license then taking the beginners course is still worth the couple hundred dollars - most people develop bad riding habits on their own, learning from experienced riding instructions is the best way to improve your riding and not-falling-over skills. (the first thing they teach you is how to get on a MC and get back off without dropping it... because it happens to riders more than we want to admit).

Things have changed, now more than ever you need to ride as if you are invisible, and have a plan and the skills to avoid accidents.
If you stay off 4 lane roads, stay off the interstates, and ride on secondary roads thru the country, its much safer and more enjoyable.

Welcome back to the 2 wheel community.

Last edited by KCW; 07-12-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Garage
Welcome you are in the same boat as a lot of us, safety course is paramount! I took one after getting my license over 30 years ago. Learned 2 important things from my instructor. #1 keep eyes up where you are going not where you are. Like KCW said is a lot has changed. The biggest is cell phones and people not paying attention. I ride like everyone is trying to kill me. Always keep an out in your mind. I almost for got the #2 thing they taught me is always wear something under your assless chaps.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
Welcome from Columbus, OH! Glad to have you back on the road. Your situation sounds a lot like mine. Got my license at 59. Highly recommend the rider safety course! You will find this is a nice site for information sharing, knowledge, a few barbs thrown out to keep you honest...There are some nice threads about all kinds of subjects...Snoop around there is good stuff everywhere!
Keith Post likes this.

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Cobra Exhaust and Floorboards
Recent Mods: Added OEM passing lamps
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit
Custom Dynamics Rear Red Turn lenses

Looking for new seat and taller windshield

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
Welcome you are in the same boat as a lot of us, safety course is paramount! I took one after getting my license over 30 years ago. Learned 2 important things from my instructor. #1 keep eyes up where you are going not where you are. Like KCW said is a lot has changed. The biggest is cell phones and people not paying attention. I ride like everyone is trying to kill me. Always keep an out in your mind. I almost for got the #2 thing they taught me is always wear something under your assless chaps.
Dude I was gonna give you a like but the ass less chaps comment threw me a little....

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit

Enjoy the ride
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
Dude I was gonna give you a like but the ass less chaps comment threw me a little....
I am surprised. I does that mean you want me not to wear some thing underneath?
Redbird58 likes this.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
I am surprised. I does that mean you want me not to wear some thing underneath?
HaHaHa...No I am good with never seeing another guy is ass less chaps...I went on a ride along with a LEO friend of mine one night....He took me to some areas in his precinct that I avoided whenever possible . He of course got a big laugh out of it...me?? Yeh something I never want to see again...So I will consider your second piece of advice that you received as great advice...
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit

Enjoy the ride
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:01 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the well wishes.

KCW- great advice. I started just riding around my neighbor. I've graduated to the country roads with less traffic on them and just getting used to the feel of the bike. Man is this fun!

Deeksvstarclassic- Just in the last few years I've practiced defensive driving even in my car. Way too many people on cell phones not paying attention! My eyes are moving at light speed when on the bike. Don't Mind saying I'm scared about what other people may do. I realize it's sometimes hard to see a motorcycle and so I slow down at every intersection even if I have a green light and don't see anybody at the intersection.

I do plan to take the safety course soon at my local community college.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Poser View Post
Thanks to all for the well wishes.

KCW- great advice. I started just riding around my neighbor. I've graduated to the country roads with less traffic on them and just getting used to the feel of the bike. Man is this fun!

Deeksvstarclassic- Just in the last few years I've practiced defensive driving even in my car. Way too many people on cell phones not paying attention! My eyes are moving at light speed when on the bike. Don't Mind saying I'm scared about what other people may do. I realize it's sometimes hard to see a motorcycle and so I slow down at every intersection even if I have a green light and don't see anybody at the intersection.

I do plan to take the safety course soon at my local community college.
Awesome community college is where i took mine. To save your self some emBAREASSment you might not want to ask about #2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode