New Guy - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 AM

Garage
Welcome from Columbus, OH! The best thing I can suggest would be to keep practicing what you learned in your safety classes. Empty parking lots, some business parks on weekends are nice also. Try not to rush it. Listen to the other voice in your head that is telling you to slow down and relax. Tension leads to mistakes. Ride safe and Enjoy!

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:05 AM

Garage
Welcome to the website. You have already learned that the people here are friendly helpful and knowledgeable. There isn't a heck of a lot more that i can add. They seem to have covered the bases. Ride a lot have fun and be safe.
Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

So I took her out to make friends today. 230 miles round trip going from gentle rolling hills, stop and go urban, and hugging the Chesapeake Bay coast. Coming from a Ninja 250, this was an experience!

She has the mid placement controls. I love that! Such a relaxed position for me. But the ride was easy. I mean, the bike wanted to cruise down the roads. Wanted to lean in the sweeping curves. She made it easy to trust her. I hope somebody gets that because that's about the best way I can describe it.

Because I'm me and it's a cruiser, there's a couple things that'll get tweaked sometime between now and eventually. I love the shape of the seat. But it needs to scoot back just a touch, and make friends with some sort of padding. However, I was riding for about an hour and a half at a time. Honestly, it was that short because after that long, I needed a cigarette. And highway bars with pegs. Not needed at all, but would be nice to move my feet around.

Sitting here looking at my windshield, my stupidly big cop looking windshield, I can't stand the sight of it. But from behind it, I love it. Blocks the right amount of wind letting enough in to be pleasant. So sometime closer to eventually I'll see if anything can do s good a job but doesn't look, well, yeah.

The stock exhaust sucks monkey butt. Let's say a bit more refined and polite than one would expect. On the other hand, when I start commuting on her, it'll be 5:45am. So, in the name of neighborly consideration, I'll find a way to make peace with it.

So, in the end it might be that I'm still new, but none of these nits need immediate picking. This seems like it'll do anything I want a motorcycle to do. And she seems to be a good fit for my riding style. I'm sure as I get to know her and what she is capable of, and possibly a little help here, we'll both get better with each other.

Oh. As an aside, I'll never ride another bike without saddle bags. A couple bottles from Mrs. Rookie's favorite vineyard (if you ever get the chance, Virginia wine country offers some gorgeous rides) goes a long way in stealing Saturday afternoon rides here and there. Oh, and a handy place to hold rain gear and the gallon of milk on the way home.
Keith Post, KCW and Yamaha Pat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
Welcome from NC!

When I rode with cops they taught me to keep my right foot up and on the rear brake at stops. That way it makes it easier to start uphill as you don't have to release front brake and twist the throttle same time. Plus, with your foot on rear brake you can execute sharp turns right from the dead stop (that requires feathering clutch in friction zone and light pressure on the rear brake).
Keith Post likes this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:55 PM

"She made it easy to trust her" Very well put I think every one on forum the understands that.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I do apologize for making everyone wait for pics. But here's the White Devil in all her glory! The first pic really shows off the "cop bike" look. I guess it's not bad enough that my cage is a Charger. The second is from the winery.

I've been thumbing through the mods section here. But aside from the seat (I really want to reshape it to push me back just a scooch) and the stealth mode exhaust (which won't get fixed until I stop having to leave for work at quarter of six), I can't really find anything that NEEDS to be done. Except highway bars (which are totally different from crash bars if Mrs. Rookie happens to ask).

Oh, while you're reading this and looking at the pretty pictures, let me ask you all this. Whitewall tires, would it be too much white on this? I'm torn. I love whitewalls but I've never seen them on a white bike. Thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Well, keep the rubber down and wind in your hair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_091629_1565743177751.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	85018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_152155_1565743225018.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	85020  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
I personally am not a fan of whitewalls on anything, shows dirt too much and just something more to clean, but thatís just me. Great looking bike whichever way you go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:29 PM

Garage
I had whitewalls on my 1100 when I got it and they looked great with the two tone burgundy and cream paint, but Keith is right - they were a pain to clean. Personally I think they would be too much on a white bike. You need some contrast. But that's just my opinion.
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:05 PM

Garage
I want white walls and as you guys know i can clean! I actually photoshoped a pic and made the walls white to see how it looks but the file was too large to post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Star clean.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	85050  
Keith Post likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!

Last edited by Deeksvstarclassic; 08-18-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode