New Guy - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

New Guy

Hey everyone. I'm Rookie. I live in Maryland (United States) but have traveled all over when I was in the Army. That's where I fell in love with little klr650, goofing off on the prairie. Currently settled down, doing the wife and kids and job and mortgage thing. Comfortably middle aged I guess.

So last fall I took the MSF course and got my license. Along with a friend's '03 Ninja 250. I was looking at the 800-950 class of cruisers but he really needed the money. I couldn't argue the price and to help a good guy out. So I rode that until recently when I low sided the foolish bike. Fallen tree in the middle of a curve so I panicked and dumped it.

You know, I loved that little bike for what it was. Uber responsive, flickable a scoot as you could want. And it weighed half of nothing so it was pretty decent in traffic. But she wasn't without problems. Like I could do 85 on the highway but passing a truck was as long as you'd want to to that. And my biggest gripe was I'm 6'1" in boots. I looked like a bear riding a tricycle.

So anyways, tomorrow I pick up my brand new to me 09 v star 1300 classic (white) that the previous owner converted into a touring. I'm pretty stoked to be getting a big boy bike! But a little nervous. Turning and breaking and backing up. There's some quality time in my future; me, the bike, and an empty parking lot. But that's just an excuse to ride.

So now here I am! I look forward to getting to know some cool people. And trying your patience with stupid new guy questions. If there's anything else not covered, ask away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:17 PM

Garage
Welcome from up the coast in Atlantic Canada, and thanks for joining our little group. I also went from a sport bike to a cruiser (well, 20 years later). You got yourself a great bike and you are most definitely going to find out how different it is. It won't be as easy to throw around as the baby Ninja, but you're going to enjoy the comfortable ride. It'll take longer to stop, but you'll get used to that. The weight? I doubt that'll be a problem. I'm a 5'9, 185 pound old fart and I ride an 860 pound 1600 Nomad without any issues at all. Like you said, practice and get to know it and you'll quickly fall in love with it.

If you have any questions about your bike, feel free to ask. There's a wealth of knowledge here and we have a lot of friendly, helpful members. Love to see a pic of it when you get a chance.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...on-garage.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:00 PM
KCW

Garage
VS1300 is a great bike

take your time and ride like a cop is following you everywhere you go: stop clean and put both feet down, outside inside outside on the curves, practice your panic stopping gradually stopping harder and shorter every time you ride

and most of all respect the increased weight of the bigger bike - the muscle memory you have from your last bike will get you in trouble if you start riding on auto-pilot.

one thing I figured out when I got my Royal Star, I subconsciously had been doing this little twist on the handlebars when I stop on my 650, didnt not really notice it till I got the 1300 V4 and was a little sketchy stopping. Sometimes the bike would lean to the right instead of the left, and I had to throw both feet out - to fix that, when you stop, just as you come to a halt turn the handlebars just a bit to the right, that makes the bike lean to the left - always - very repeatable. Now I can calmly put my left foot down when I stop, straighten that slight twist out, take my right foot off the brake and plant it - like I have been riding Ursa The She-Bear my whole life.

The other thing that got me, when you stop a big bike on the slightest incline, as soon as you release the brake the bike will start to roll forward or back - you cant let go of the front brake at a light and push your visor up, or scratch your nose, and hold the bike with your feet - you want to have one brake or the other on all the time when you are stopped. If you know your visor is going to fog up when you stop for a red light, push it up before you stop, pull it back down after you get going...

its those little things that make you feel insecure on a big machine - once you get a handle on that, your confidence goes back up

once the bike gets up over 10mph - its as stable and solid as a rock.

Last edited by KCW; 07-22-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
KCW, I really like that explanation. I always thought it was because I'm such a little guy that the bike rolled on me.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. Take it to an empty parking lot for a couple of hours and you will be a lot more comfortable afterwards. Tight turns, Fast stops Try anything that you think might happen in traffic.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Love the 1300! Itís smooth handling and has great brakes, I think KCW, NorthernRider, and Les said it best. We definitely want to see a pic of it, and donít feel like to learn it all in a day, youíll eventually become one with the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Pat View Post
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. Take it to an empty parking lot for a couple of hours and you will be a lot more comfortable afterwards. Tight turns, Fast stops Try anything that you think might happen in traffic.
If you can have someone video you. Learn from your hiccups. 😀

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:17 AM
KCW

Garage
Having the bike start to roll on your when you are stopped and release the brake is mostly unsettling when you are slightly pointed uphill. On a steep uphill stop its easy to slip the clutch while still holding the front brake till the nose starts to pull down, release the brake and take off. You expect it to roll backwards.

but on a slight hill your old small bike would not have started to roll backwards, the heavy bike will, and you have no leverage because you normally plant your feet in front of your body, not behind you.

The other thing about a big bike, dont park it pointed even slightly downhill if its not a pull-thru parking space, it will be much harder to push backwards than your old bike. Its not just that its harder to push, if you are on wet pavement or anything else that could make your foot slide out, it will.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. And the wonderful advice.

I have a few people anxiously waiting for me to finish my parking lot getting to know you time so we can go on rides. I'm looking forward to getting advice from people who've been riding for as long as I've been walking.

My driveway is on a stupid steep slope so I'm not overly worried about hills. I figure I'll get pretty good at starting and stopping on inclines.

Ride like a cop is following me, I like that a lot. That tends to sum up my driving style in general. Grumbling quietly about aging and maturity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode