Yet another new member.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Yet another new member....

Hey all. Just wanted to pop in as a new member to the forums. I normally only lurk but since I have found that a lot of good info can be found by just introducing yourself and asking, I thought that might be better.

Right now I ride a 2011 Harley Sportster xl1200c with a few upgrades including stage 1 full. It is my starter bike since my first ended up going under a car that the driver decided he wanted me as a hood ornament (I was at a stop sign at the time, fully stopped). That said, I have put a pot of miles onto the sporty in the past year, but it's not very comfy in the long hauls (rides past 45 minute marker).

Since it's coming into my second season, I was thinking of trading into a Yamaha raider for the size of frame and motor, since the wife would like to go for a spin sometimes too. I am 6' even at about 190 pounds. Long legs take up most of my body, so as the Sporty is FUN, I get cramped up even with forward controls on her.

So with all that in my intro, could anyone give suggestions on what to expect if and when I decide to throw down for a raider?

Thanks and keep the rubber side down!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM

welcome to the forums... Raider's are nice rides and that's about all i know about them. but, others should be able to help you out.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
BOBBER CLUB

05 Vstar 650 bobber

13 Harley Street Glide
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. The Raider is a nice ride for sure and should put a smile on your face in no time.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Re: Yet another new member....

Thanks all. Just got word from my local shop that they can get me on a raven raider for a buck under 12k. With trade I'd only have to part ways with 6k out the door. Does this seem to be pretty much spot on, and would it really be worth the trade? For some reason the Stealers around here won't let you test ride the bikes. Should I be a bit worried? Vice and HD always allow test rides, but metric places won't?

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM

Yet another new member....

The place I bought my 950 was that way, but they had a clause that after I had insurance on it I had 24hrs to change my mind. That way if I crashed the liability was mine...haha. In the end I was very happy with my new bike. Best choice I've made in awhile. Have you sat on the different models to see what your butt and legs like? I was pretty bent on a raider before I sat on the 950. I really liked the sportier look, but in the end, I went for comfort.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I haven had a chance to go down to the shop just yet but will find time to do so tomorrow. I did however test ride a couple Vic bikes. Unfortunately nothing came straight out and said "take me home!"

I'll let you know what goes on tomorrow if I can slip the boss long enough for a quick jaunt to the Stealer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. what year is the raider? how many miles? any extras?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

It's a 2012 should be low mileage since it's unregistered. No extras, bone stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

So today I rode the raider for the first time. Had 0 miles before initial fill-up and test ride by the dealer. 5 miles later they threw me the keys. The only stipulation was that someone had to go with me (which is fine since I didn't know too many roads around the area anyway). All I can say is WOW! The thing is supposed to be this 700 pound beast, but it felt as agile as a sport bike! By the time we returned, the bike now has 42 miles on it. Dre, the guy that took me out on the road, too me from regular roads to up and down twistiest to highways and back. Gave me enough time in the saddle to really get a good feel for it. The manager wasn't too happy when we returned though.

Post ride analysis says its going to be a hell of a hard time to not break out the check book! I'll post more in the raider forums after I get off of work today and to my computer, where I can type decently.

Cheers and have a wonderful night!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

brand new leftover '12 raider with no miles and priced $2500 below sticker. i'd say that's a good deal

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode