Hello, from Utah! - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
Welcome I have a 2001 my self and absolutely love the thing. There are a lot of things to do to it depending on your preferences. I have a friend with a suzuki volusia and one of these days i will give him a treat and let him ride the star. Then i will get to try his. Fender to fender they look about the same size. You can see i have more motor tucked inside. They are all special in their own ways.
That was the cool part about the Volusia, it sits on a long frame and has the appearance of a much bigger bike. I have a friend who rode a Honda VTX 1800 and my Volusia was only about 2 inches shorter wheel-to-wheel. 'Course, each one of the jugs on the VTX 1800 was bigger than the whole engine on the Volusia, but that's a different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
That was the cool part about the Volusia, it sits on a long frame and has the appearance of a much bigger bike. I have a friend who rode a Honda VTX 1800 and my Volusia was only about 2 inches shorter wheel-to-wheel. 'Course, each one of the jugs on the VTX 1800 was bigger than the whole engine on the Volusia, but that's a different story.
I had said VTX 1800 for 10 years. It was a nice bike but a "SOW" I still have the hernia it gave me. When i sold it early spring i thought i was done riding......til the next weekend. It was a toss up between a 1100 sabre and the classic. The saber only had 11000 miles the star had 33000. The bags on the classic sold me on it. I don't regret my decision 1 bit.
Keith Post likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
Welcome from Northern Cal. Good looking bike and very similar to mine. One thought I'll throw out is if you still have a stock seat, you should consider getting an upgrade. Most of us recognize that more than two hours on the stock seat is painful. I changed to an Ultimate and have ridden many days in a row, all day long and never had a hurting butt. Mustang seats are also supposed to be good, I don't have personal experience there but I'll definitely vouch for my Ultimate. Pricey but worth it if you're going to put some miles on it.
Dang it @Boots...Now I am thinking once again about upgrading my seat! HAHA...It will not happen for awhile yet..momma won't let me spend the money! BTW are you back in the saddle again? I hope you were able to resolve your situation!

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
Quote:
Welcome from Northern Cal. Good looking bike and very similar to mine. One thought I'll throw out is if you still have a stock seat, you should consider getting an upgrade. Most of us recognize that more than two hours on the stock seat is painful. I changed to an Ultimate and have ridden many days in a row, all day long and never had a hurting butt. Mustang seats are also supposed to be good, I don't have personal experience there but I'll definitely vouch for my Ultimate. Pricey but worth it if you're going to put some miles on it.
Dang it @Boots...Now I am thinking once again about upgrading my seat! HAHA...It will not happen for awhile yet..momma won't let me spend the money! BTW are you back in the saddle again? I hope you were able to resolve your situation!

Haha, yeah I will have to look up that seat. I got the V-Star to do my long rides on with the wife. Originally I was going to ride the C50t around town and the V-Star only for long rides but I find myself riding the V-Star pretty much all the time.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Good luck with the seat and thanks for the question. No, not back in the saddle yet. For those that were not seeing previous messages, my wife asked me to get some life insurance before I continue to ride. That became a challenge as a 65 year old guy with a history of cancer (beaten!) but the insurance companies are wuss'es. I am blessed to be extremely healthy, great chemistry values, BP and all the other stuff and am pretty active also. But, I understand Susy's request so I'm being cool but am really missing my wind therapy so consequently I've been not real active on this forum lately as it's kinda depressing to hear about great rides, see great pics, hear about interesting issues folks are dealing with or what oils best for our bikes and I'm sitting back thinking I probably should put some seafoam in the tank.... Sucks! But, there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I found a decent company (AIG) that so far is looking to offer a policy with enough $$ to keep my wife satisfied if she has to deal with me dead some day and the monthly premium is OK. I went through the medical exam, all was good and now they are waiting for my medical records to get to them from my heath provider - Kaiser. I'm hearing that word should come to me by the end of this month.

I had to cancel out on the West Coast get together with YamahaPat and possibly RonK. The group I go on regular rides with is keeping me in the loop and I'm still going to the monthly meetings (in the cage) but I have to have some exposure.

So, fingers are crossed, prayers have been said and continue to go out there that this will be resolved soon.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Garage
Good luck thinking of ya Boots!
Keith Post, Boots and Redbird58 like this.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tergazzi View Post
Haha, yeah I will have to look up that seat. I got the V-Star to do my long rides on with the wife. Originally I was going to ride the C50t around town and the V-Star only for long rides but I find myself riding the V-Star pretty much all the time.
That is the way it starts.
Keith Post, Boots and Redbird58 like this.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Good luck with the seat and thanks for the question. No, not back in the saddle yet. For those that were not seeing previous messages, my wife asked me to get some life insurance before I continue to ride. That became a challenge as a 65 year old guy with a history of cancer (beaten!) but the insurance companies are wuss'es. I am blessed to be extremely healthy, great chemistry values, BP and all the other stuff and am pretty active also. But, I understand Susy's request so I'm being cool but am really missing my wind therapy so consequently I've been not real active on this forum lately as it's kinda depressing to hear about great rides, see great pics, hear about interesting issues folks are dealing with or what oils best for our bikes and I'm sitting back thinking I probably should put some seafoam in the tank.... Sucks! But, there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I found a decent company (AIG) that so far is looking to offer a policy with enough $$ to keep my wife satisfied if she has to deal with me dead some day and the monthly premium is OK. I went through the medical exam, all was good and now they are waiting for my medical records to get to them from my heath provider - Kaiser. I'm hearing that word should come to me by the end of this month.

I had to cancel out on the West Coast get together with Yamaha Pat and possibly RonK. The group I go on regular rides with is keeping me in the loop and I'm still going to the monthly meetings (in the cage) but I have to have some exposure.

So, fingers are crossed, prayers have been said and continue to go out there that this will be resolved soon.
@Boots I really hope you are able to get back in the saddle. The west coast ride looks like it would be amazing but I am sure once your situation is resolved @yamaha Pat would make the sacrifice to have another west coast ride later this year. Hang in there dude! Know that there are many people praying for you. Please make sure you keep a positive thought and make sure you continue to check in and contribute to the forum.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride

Last edited by Redbird58; 08-07-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee! Great looking bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:03 AM

Garage
Quote:

I'm throwing in props for Mustang wide touring seats. I didn't really dislike the stock seats but the Mustangs are definitely a big improvement. I got crazy deals on them by haunting Craigslist and Ebay. Under $200 for the pair - shipped to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode