Fairly New Rider, Bigger Bikes! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Fairly New Rider, Bigger Bikes!

I am a fairly new rider, having gotten my endorsement in May 2017 (at the ripe young age of 59!), my skills keep improving, and the miles are ticking by!

I started out with a 2001 V-Star 650 which I rode for about 9 months before realizing I wanted something bigger. I wanted to be more comfortable at highway speeds and do some longer distance touring.

In October 2017 I got a 2015 950 Tourer, which has been a reliable, comfortable steed. When it arrived, the odometer read about 700 miles! I quickly remedied that as I am doing tours of increasingly longer distances.

My brother and I went to Moab from Colorado in June 2018 and I did a solo tour to Santa Fe that September. In July 2019 we went from Colorado up to Yellowstone! My brother now rides an Indian Chieftain, and it was on that long trip that I started wishing for more power.

I have been reading a lot of positive things about the Roadliner and Stratoliner and hope to find one in good condition in the next year. I will have to stop with that bike as it's the biggest Star in the galaxy! I would appreciate any comments, pro and con, that current riders of these bikes could share.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:02 PM

"biggest Star in the galaxy!" I'm agreeing with that. I also own a 650 Classic along with The Strat. Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:16 AM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. It's addictive, isn't it? lol I'm also older (like many members on here) and recently got back into riding. I had bikes when I was younger but took a 20 year break to raise kids and stuff. A few years ago I got back into it on an 1100, which was a great bike, but like you I wanted more power for highway cruising. I looked around for a Road Star but they were all grossly over priced around here. I ended up getting a Vulcan Nomad 1600 and it has satisfied my need for more power, plus my wife likes the cushy passenger seat.

Love to see a pic of your ride when you get a chance.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:19 AM
KCW

Garage
you have discovered the problem with Vstar bikes: there are several models and options and its really hard to pick one over the other.

For touring Vstar made the Royal Star V4 1300 with 4 carbs, water cooling, shaft drive, which was available from a naked base model (like my Ursa over in the garage page on the left side of this post) up to a fully loaded touring version, with bigger carbs and more HP. It has been the rock solid, easy to maintain Vstar touring standard for decades.

If you want fuel injection the Vstar 1300 is a Vtwin water cooled bike with a belt drive, which also is available in a touring package model

The 1600 or 1700 road star is a single carb V twin, air cooled, belt drive, push rods instead of overhead cams. Mechanically its a very simple bike, and its engine is used in the Strat and Road liner.

You can find or upgrade any of these bikes into long distance touring machines.

Get your hands on as many as you can and ride them for a day. It really is hard to choose one over the other.

The only new bike Yamaha still makes is the new Venture, instead of the V4 its a fuel injected Vtwin - their transcontinental touring bike. If you want a new one (or a used bike only 1 or 2 years old) that may be what you want.
Keith Post, Boots and Cityclucks like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Welcome from Columbus, OH! You landed at the right spot. There are many here who can offer advice to keep you on the road or point you in the right direction. Snoop around and enjoy!
Keith Post and JonMaz2112 like this.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 AM

I am new on here also, I have been riding 53 years. When I retired the wife and I got rid the the car to save money and have a motorcycle only. I have had 15 different motorcycles, right now I am riding a V Star 650 Classic. Next week we are going to Daytona and I am picking up a 2006 Stratoliner. I love to ride all over, we took a trip on the V Star from Pensacola to Milwaukee,Cedar Rapids, St.Louis, Biloxi and back to the house in 7 days. Next summer we will take the Strat to Kansas City. It is a bad addiction that there is no cure for.
Keith Post, lesblank, KCW and 5 others like this.

US Navy, ' 75- '85
'03 VStar 650 Classic
'06 Stratoliner
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...on-garage.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Good solid approach to learning to bike, starting from a smaller displacement & shorter trips to longer trips on a bigger bike. I recently got back into cycling after a 25 yr break, bought a 07 Roadliner. Had to get used to the riding again, and how the bike handled. Started out on short local trips to longer runs. Last bike I had was a 95 750 Vulcan.

I ride a lot with my wife, and will be upgrading the suspension to something more sporting. Other than that, the bike is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elronda View Post
In July 2019 we went from Colorado up to Yellowstone!
Beautiful country. 15 yrs ago, I traveled in a rented convertible from Denver to Laramie WY, to Rock Springs, then to Pinedale Wy. Crossed over to the Idaho border to catch a glimpse of the Grand Tetons, up rt 20 & east to West Yellowstone MT. From there, traveled all through the park, exiting Cody & back to catch the return flight in Denver. Wish I had a go pro & my bike.
Keith Post likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:21 PM

Garage
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Yes its an addiction for sure, so many choices! Were talking about possibly upgrading to a 1300tourer sometime next year, but our 950s are paid for, so were content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonMaz2112 likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Garage
Welcome, i have found bigger isn't necessarily better. At our age i found myself going down to an 1100 classic.
Keith Post and JonMaz2112 like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode