Greetings from Cleveland Ohio USA - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Greetings from Cleveland Ohio USA

Good morning from Cleveland Ohio, USA. Purchased my 2004 Road Star the other day. Bought it from the original owner who only had 7k miles on it. Consider myself VERY lucky as this is my 3rd Road Star as I just wasn't perfectly satisfied with the others due to treatment from prior owners and/or colors/etc.

In my humble opinion we're riding the most over-engineered motorcycle out there. By that I mean Yamaha outdid themselves as to the reliability of the Road Star. You just can't kill them.

Additionally they are THE best geared motorcycle I've ever had the pleasure to ride and I've owned 35 bikes. Of course that's personal preference but still... A lot of that is due to that crazy tall 5th gear. It is such a joy to ride these on the freeway and not feel like you need another gear as so many other bikes feel.

I'll post pictures once site allows me to. :-) Just have to make a few more posts/replies and such.

Safe riding and remember, watch out for the cell phone users!!

Live For Today For Tomorrow May Never Come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Garage
Welcome. Too funny you are on your third one, i always say buy what you want not what others think you should. I had a 1800VTX ten years ago and was looking for and 1100 classic. Finally after hardly riding it the last 2 years sold it. I didn't think i would miss it. The following weekend i found the 01 1100 classic and we have been inseparable.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Garage
Welcome from Columbus, OH! Sounds like you have a wealth of experience with bikes. There are many good people on this site that are always willing to share with us newbies their experience and knowledge. Thanks for joining! It is always nice to have another Buckeye on board!

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Still playing with the pictures as some have suggested using ImgBB site. I try the direct drag and drop and it always "flips" my pictures upside down, if anyone knows a fix for that would be appreciated. The picture here is HUGE on the preview which I can't seem to figure out how to adjust either. Wish I could put my bike experience into web experience!!

http://
Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ahhhh, all good, re-sized it automatically, now if I can fix the upside down flip I'm in business!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The bluing on the pipes is gone, buffed all that out already. Was running rough last year so prior owner got it tuned up. I imagine they opened up a jet or two on the carb to richen it up. They also unplugged the AIS system and even removed the plug for it completely. I removed all the AIS junk as it wasn't doing anything anyways. Does have me scratching my head a bit as to how they removed the plug for the AIS but doesn't worry me any, just a curiosity.

As I just recently removed the bluing I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if it comes back which would show it's still running too hot. I'm hoping the shop he took it to did it right and actually richened it vs. just unplugging the AIS and "hoping" that would fix it running rough.

Runs superbly now with zero issues.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Garage
Welcome from East Tennessee Ted!
Great intro, and a beautiful bike. Wife and I each are considering an upgrade to the Road Star after our recent annual rally in Waynesville NC. One of our Canadian friends in attendance rode his recently purchased Road Star. Wife and we’re each drooling over it, very impressive bike! Glad you joined us and with all of your rides over the years you’ll fit in perfectly! Maybe even consider attending our 2020 Rally next September? Never to early to plan ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I had a super nice VStar 1300 that I had ZERO issues with but fell in love with the white/black combo of the current Road Star being a retired police officer and all. Reminds me of a police bike every time I swing a leg over it.

The VStar 1300's are geared almost exactly the same as the Road Star and sit even LOWER, I'm totally flat-footed with a 28" inseam on the 1300 but on the Road Star one heel is a titch off the ground, but I have the custom Ultimate seat as well which splays my legs out a bit vs the 1300.

Both bikes would do you just fine if you happen to get a deal on one vs the other.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Garage
She sure is a beauty! How did you polish off the bluing?
Keith Post and Ted Turner like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Beautiful bike you got there. You found the best place to share tips and stories with other enthusiasts. Even though I no longer have a Yammie, I still hang out here because of the people. Other than a short test drive I've never been on a Roadie but that ride and the fact that they are pretty much bulletproof convinced me that it was the kind of bike I wanted. I was looking to trade up from my 1100 to a Road Star but none were available at the time and a good deal came along on a Vulcan so I snatched it up. The Kawi is a little different but has the same big bore type of power and reliability, plus a little plusher ride (which my wife really appreciates).
Keith Post and Ted Turner like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode