Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

A shout out from Nahunta, Ga.

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  lesblank 
#1 ·
My last bike was a Suzuki 1500 intruder VL
Had it for ten years. Put many miles on her.
Not a terrible bike, but not a great bike.
I’ve ridden a road star 1600 with an aftermarket fairing and liked it a lot. Never ridden a Stratoliner but tend to think that I’d like it better. Although...aftermarket for the roadstar is much stronger.
I’ll be purchasing a used bike soon. Which of these two bikes should I get? I must admit, though, I’m also thinking about a VTX 1800 with added batwing. I’ve ridden one of those too.
Nice. Probably not as nice as a Stratoliner,
But y’all would know better than me, so let me hear from you. Thanks.
ps, money is a factor, but I see on the internet where I can buy these bikes in great shape for less than five G’s.

#4 ·
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I've got a friend with a VTX that I ride with often. We have swapped bikes many times. The VTX 1800 is very peppy performance wise. But compared to all the different Yamaha cruisers I've ridden it's a different feel. The VTX is an inch longer with more rake with slightly stiffer suspension. I've even adjusted the rear shocks on the VTX to get a smoother ride as my buddy wanted me to help him achieve a better ride. Guess I'm getting older and the stiffer ride and the slower turn in due to longer chassis is not for me. The VTX is a nice bike, just not my cup of tea. If you can, set up a test drive on the same day of the two for direct comparison. No matter which you buy, ride safe and often.

#5 ·
Welcome from Wisconsin
As far as which bike to buy i don't really have much of an opinion. Haven't ridden the big Yamis. I can tell you that i had an 1800 VTX for 10 years. I never had any problems with it. Put in oil did brakes and rubber that was it.I didn't ride it much the last 2 years it became more of a chore than pleasure. Thought i was done riding when sold it and i bought my 1100 classic the next weekend and ride the crap out of it.Good luck with what ever you decide to buy and let us know how you did. Stop by often

#6 ·
I really like the looks of the Honda VTX series.
I'm with Les, They seem to have stiffer suspension & don;t seem as well balanced to me as the the Yamaha bikes do.
To me there was a big difference in the ride and handling. The Yamaha's just felt like a more comfortable, more refined ride.

#7 ·
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I can't add much to what's been said other than I was looking to upgrade to a Road Star from my 1100 and I did a lot of research on them. What I found is that, true to Yamaha's form, they are pretty much bulletproof if properly maintained and will easily go 100,000 miles with no major issues. My budget is tight too so I decided on an 04 or 05 model, which were within said budget. The 1700 engine is a little more refined and they did some minor improvements to the suspension as well over the 1600, plus they came with cast wheels and I was tired of having to deal with tubes.

But there was nothing available for a good price at the time so I ended up getting a deal on Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad. They are also known for reliability and offered a little softer ride than the Road Star (air suspension) along with pretty nice factory seats. And everyone here will tell you that OEM Yamaha seats leave a lot to be desired. I've never ridden a Strat but I love the look of them. The VTX is also a nice looking bike, but again, no experience on one.

Good luck on your search, and please keep us updated on whatever you end up with. It doesn't matter what you ride, you're always welcome here and you'll find a family of fellow bikers ready and willing to help out one another with any problems or questions you may have.

#8 ·
Thank you all for your reply’s and advice.
This place is Awesome! I’ll let you know how my purchase turns out. With what I’ve heard so far it seems I will HAVE to test ride one of each. Anyone got a Stratoliner that I can flog? [emoji16]
I have also owned a Honda Sabre 1100, so I know a little about the reliability of that brand. It was twice the bike that my intruder was and that’s the reason I’m considering a VTX.
But I LOVE the looks of a Strat. When they first came out with the Roadliner I knew one day I’d probably own one... then...out came the bat winged version. The only reason I would not buy one is if y’all warned me not to because of maintenance or mechanical issues, but I doubt Star has overwhelming problems with any of their bikes.
However, if there are problems I’d like to know about them. The only thing I see wrong with that bike is the comparably weak aftermarket choices. But it’s not a big issue for me. Again, thanks for y’all ‘s reply’s.
Let me know if there’s any gremlins lurking in my dream bike. I also love the roadstar, so my thirst can be slaked with either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
How do you want to ride?

If you are thinking of long distance touring or cruising you should also look at the Royal Star base model, or the Royal Star Venture (touring fairing and bags)

its a V4 1300, water cooled, shaft drive. Im pretty sure they all have carbs, but the later ones might be fuel injected?

it holds 4 quarts of oil, has an 8000 mile maintenance schedule, an external spin on oil filter and only one drain plug

Its a 100,000 mile bullet proof rock of a bike.

It was just replaced two years ago by the New Venture SVTC, which is a completely different Vtwin.

Reactions: Keith Post
#10 ·
Thanks for your helpful reply,KCW. You’re right about the royal star. But for me it just looks obese. May not be, but appears fat.
Like you said, how one wants to ride makes the difference. I fit somewhere between long legged touring and medium long day trips.
Although, if I find one at a great price, my new Star ⭐ could be Royal.

#11 ·
Hi Randall!
Welcome from East Tennessee. Sounds like you have picked the best of the best to choose from. I like the VTX series as well, yet the cornering is a chore, but it has good performance. The Strat is the Cadillac of Yamaha, awesome looking bike, personally my wife and I like the the Road Star. Wife and I each ride a 950, and after checking out Digger’s Road Star at our recent rally in Waynesville,NC, we’re considering getting one. They’re nearly the same in seat height and only 81 pounds heavier than the 950. Read a bunch of reviews and the aftermarket is strong. 102 ci, and tons of torque, and reasonably priced used , we think they’re a good choice.

#12 ·
Thanks for your reply, Keith. I have an uncle that lives in Waynesville.
Yeah, I like the Roadstar, too. used Prices are very reasonable and usually already decked out with loads of aftermarket extras.
It’ll probably be the bike I end up with if I can’t find a super great deal on a Strat.
The biggest factor for me in making up my mind on these three bikes is: which one is the most reliable and does the Stratoliner
Have any issues? I already know that both the VTX and Roadstar are bulletproof.
The unknown is the Strat.

#18 ·
Daily Rides? What is the daily rides? Y’all get together to have rides daily up in Waynesville, do ya? I live on the very bottom of Ga. It would be a heck of a ride to get to uncle Alva’s place for a daily ride. But who knows, that does sound like a great idea! Gotta get that Strat first. [emoji14]
You guys have assured me that a Strat is where it’s at!!

#16 ·
someone correct me if Im wrong: isnt the engine in the stratoliner and roadliner the same engine that is in the RoadStar?

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.