Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Just Gifted an Old Bike

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  KCW 
#1 ·
2006 Yamaha VStar - I am not sure how to even go about seeing if it runs. Never ridden a motorcycle before.

#2 ·
I am not sure how to even go about seeing if it runs. Never ridden a motorcycle before.
That's difficult to answer not knowing your automotive repair aptitude. Someone who does most of their automotive repairs can easily work on a bike. Have you completed tune-ups, complete brake jobs, changed shocks, replaced starter, etc? Is your Vstar a 650? Google and download the owner's manual and repair manual, they are free online. After you have read them and have a specific question post it here for best exposure and feedback.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/

Good luck and keep us informed.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#4 · (Edited)
IF you have never been on a motorcycle before go online and see when the next Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) beginners riders course is where you live.

Its about $250 to $300 now, a three day course. First you need to get your motorcycle permit (easy test). You dont need to bring a motorcycle for the course, you get to ride one of theirs. All you need is a jacket, gloves, boots.. and a helmet if you can get one (some courses have helmets available).

The course is half class room training on riding, rules, and safety, and the other half of the 3 days is learning to ride, usually in a big fenced in parking lot.

Even if you have never been on a motorcycle before, and you have never used a vehicle with a manual transmission before, they WILL teach you how to ride in those 3 afternoons. Unless you really have no aptitude for it you will pass the course, and at the end of the 3 days you will have your motorcycle license.

You will also save 10% on your motorcycle insurance for the rest of your life.

The first time you do not crash your bike because of the things you learned in the course, it will more than pay for the fee.

There is a lot you need to check on the bike before you try to start it.

Check the oil level. If the oil is more than a few years old you will want to replace the oil and filter, because oil breaks down just sitting in a bike for a few years. You can run it for a little bit on the old oil, just to see if the bike will start, and to make sure there are no serious issues with the engine before you start buying new oil, filters, plugs...

If it has not been run for a long time you need to drain the fuel tank, and dispose of the old gas. Then look inside with a flash light and see if the tank is full of rust - if it is you have some work to do.

If not you can fill it with fresh gas and some carb cleaner, like Seafoam from Walmart auto section, and maybe you will get lucky and it will start for you... might need a new battery too.

Dont just jump on the bike and think you can ride it like a bicycle. There are a couple things you must learn first because your life depends on it.

1. motorcycles steer backwards - its called counter steering. You need to google this, watch videos, and learn all you can BEFORE you try to even ride around the block because if you try to steer it like a car it will go the opposite direction from where you wanted to go, and that never ends well.

2. motorcycles are self balancing, but only if the wheels are spinning. If you apply the front and/or rear brake hard enough to skid the tire the bike is going to fall over, just as if you stopped the bike and got off without the kickstand, and let it go: BAM!

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#6 ·
I appreciate all the help, but I do not know if I have the time for all of that. I dont have any experience with working on automotive. How should I go about selling it? Its a 650 Silverado. Sat for 3-5 years maybe? Not really sure. Im worried I do not have the time to fix nor the time or want to ride after attempting to get into riding condition.

Thanks for all the replies.

#8 ·
that's unfortunate. I'm almost 68 and just started riding this summer. I brought 2007 V Star 650 as starter bike. it's a great bike and everything I have read says Yamaha's are a solid reliable machine. Selling a non running bike will be a challenge... just too many unknowns so dont expect to get anywhere near its worth. It also means the bike has to be trailered or shipped to its new home. So expect lots of questions:
- is there any maintenance history
- when did it last run
- what does the bike need- tires, battery, fluds and filters, etc
- has the bike ever been laid down or wrecked
- do you have a clear. transferable title
- are you willing to provide any warranties, guarantees
license/registration, insurance, tires, battery, oil/filter, plugs will easily set a new owner back $600-$700.
That's a lot when you dont know if there are engine or power train problems to boot. you will likely have to sell as a handyman special. I wish you well.

#7 · (Edited)
where do you live?

if you sell the bike when its not running you will get several hundred dollars for it, because a buyer will have to assume the worse and only pay you what its worth as spare parts

You also run the risk a buyer might come over, put gas in the tank and a new battery, attempt to start it, and suck a bunch of goop into the carbs and really make an expensive mess to repair.

if you can find someone in your area to either help you get it running, or to spend a few hours on it for a reasonable price.

If the bike runs well, depending on the mileage on the odo, it would be worth $1500 to $3000 (US dollars).

#9 ·
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. As others have said, it's hard to say what you're going to run into with it. If it was parked and the fuel system was properly drained or treated you may just need to swap out the gas and add some Sea Foam. VStars are well known for being dependable, strong bikes and unless it was run dry of oil or something else that would cause catastrophic failure it's probably nothing anyone with a little mechanical ability can't straighten out. If you know someone who could help you get it running you could certainly get more for it, even if it's not running 100%. But as KCW mentioned, don't even try to start it without draining all the old gas out and making sure there's no rust in the tank. That could turn a relatively minor problem into a much bigger one very quickly.

#12 ·
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I say give it a go with getting the bike running! If you have the time and resources to get it on the road you will really enjoy it. There are many here who are really familiar with the 650. Since I have been a member on this forum there have been many who presented what they thought was a basket case and were able to get the bike on the road safely and quickly. The advice will be presented in easy to understand language. Basic repair skills will be needed so if you know the business end of a screwdriver you are ahead of the game. Good Luck with your project! As for giving where you live there are many here who have done the small road trip and helped out a fellow rider.

#13 · (Edited)
when you drain the tank look inside with a flash light, if its all rusted in there you will have to deal with that before you put more gas in

when you drain the old gas out if you dont know how to dispose of it put in in something like an oil-change pan and leave it outside some place where it wont get filled with rain, and children and pets cant get to it

it will evaporate away in a day or two

DO NOT try to burn it - even old gas is extremely dangerous when ignited

if there is no rust in the tank then put at least a gallon of fresh gas in and one ounce of sea foam per gallon

then you might need to jump or get get a new battery, and see if it starts:

choke pulled all the way out
petcock set to run (lever handle down)
ignition and kill switch set to run
transmission in neutral (between 1st and second) - green light on, or it wont crank with the kickstand down

hit the starter and dont give it any throttle

when it fires let go of the starter, burp the gas a bit, and push the choke in about half way.

after a few minutes push the choke in all the way.

you dont have your permit and you dont know how to ride, so DONT be temped to ride it until you get some basic concepts down, like using the friction zone on the clutch, grabbing the throttle with your hand level, counter steering and proper braking (without locking up the front brake).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.