Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

My 2000 V-Star 1100 Custom

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Deeksvstarclassic 
#1 ·
Stretched and slightly raked frame. Lowered. New motor. Full restoration just completed after 9 months of sweat- which I loved- and I painted it myself. House of Kolors Wild Cherry over Meteor Maroon Metallic paint. One off exhaust and I also hand polished the powder coated lower fork legs and final drive (took days). Love to hear what you guys think.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: Keith Post
#4 ·
Very well done i wish i was capable of that. It is nice to see someone so passionate about their bike. Most guys love doing the stuff but i think you took it to the next level. The good news is my 01 classic is in pretty good shape. There is a lot of nice people here that love to help out others and it sounds like you have the knowledge to be another. Stop by often.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the kind words about my bike!

For the record, I bought the bike last Christmas with the frame stretch already done by the previous owner. The bike was rusty, all dented and the motor was blown. Got it for $1000. Spent $650 on a motor (eBay) that had 8300 miles on it and managed to purchase the speedo from the bike the motor came from, so it actually reflects the motor mileage. Bought a nice bike lift and started watching YouTube videos... I’ve touched every nut and bolt on this thing. Degreased everything and repainted the frame. Polished the motor fins, final drive, lower fork legs and triple trees all by hand using sandpaper ranging from 80 to 5000 grit. Looks like chrome, but it’s high-maintenance to keep it that way. I swapped out the standard 180 rear tire to a new 200 tire I found on eBay for $60. Repacked every bearing. The paint was pretty easy, but most of the work was after it was painted. Lots of cutting, buffing and polishing to get that mirror gloss. Rechromed the pipes. Those were one-offs bought by the same guy who stretched the frame (his $ not mine). I happen to think the V-Star 1100 Custom is one of the most beautifully designed bikes I’ve seen with crazy potential for customization. Pacific Coast Star was VERY helpful with lots of tips and cool products, such as the front fender, which I modified slightly. I put in a few cool custom lighting details not seen in my pictures, such as little red cat-eye lights in the rear lower frame tips... a skull carb cover where the eyes light up red and Kuryakyn bullets down low on the front frame. The headlight is an Arlen Ness (prior owner) and is awesome. I may swap out the rear fender to a Pacific Coast Star Tomcat fender this winter, only I’d have to refigure the tail light to a side mounted one.

Seems many of you were wondering how I did it all, so I figured I’ll share my story here. All said and done, I’ve got about $3000 into the project and at least 1000 hours of labor (loved every one of them). Please ask any questions anytime. I will be happy to answer them.

Now I need a name for her... was thinking Wild Child cuz it’s Wild Cherry candy paint. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using

#10 · (Edited)
...Now I need a name for her....
be patient and the bike will tell you its name

when I got my Royal Star the previous owner pointed to it and said "there she is, she's a bear"

about a month after I got it I was making a slow U turn behind a blind hill, and was not looking where I wanted the bike to go, and before I knew what was happening the bike was over on its crash bars, with my feet still on the running boards

now Im in the middle of the remote road behind the blind hill, and it was pure adrenaline that picked the bike up by the handlebars, without flopping it over on the other side, got it started and then off in a drive way to calm down.

The name came to me while I was sitting there catching my breath: Ursa (latin for She-bear, like the constellation). No damage to the bike or me, big, heavy, strong, fast, robust...

Give it time, the bike will tell you its name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.