Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

A mechanically inclined pretty gurl!

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Deeksvstarclassic 
#1 ·
Lol i am a very very mechanically inclined woman. I have never worked on a motorcycle. I work on cars as trucks primarily. I just purchased a life long dream. I respect the ride. I bought a 2005 Yamaha V Star 1100. However my starter bike is the smaller 650.

#2 ·
#6 ·
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. I got an 1100 a few years ago and like you, I didn't have much experience working on bikes. But if you;re at all mechanically inclined you're going to find it a pleasure to work on. Around here with the salt in winter almost every job on a car involves a lot of cursing and swearing over seized and rusty bolts, but not so on my bikes. It's actually fun to work on and if you need any advice or have any questions, this is the place to ask. Love to see a pic of your ride!

#7 ·
Welcome from Columbus, OH! If you get stuck on something or are not quite sure what to do next...the worst thing you can do is not ask a question! There are many helpful people on this forum that have a tremendous amount of experience that will freely share that information. What I like most is that they can put in terms that are easy to understand and follow. This really is a nice forum with things to talk about other than motorcycles. Snoop around and enjoy!

#8 ·
I have to say this to every new bike owner: even though you have mechanical experience on cars, to work on a motorcycle you must have a torque wrench

simply because nearly every bolt is steel into aluminum, and if you have experience working on steel into steel, you will strip out the case of your engine before you know what happened.

welcome to the forum

You dont have to be crazy to be a member... we will train you.

PS: seriously, get a torque wrench and use it for every bolt on your bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.