questions and help for new member - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

questions and help for new member

Hello all,
I have just joined this site after reading over the post for a couple of days. I have been on the hunt for a motorcycle to fit me and my needs and wallet.
I have been to the Harley shop ,and the Honda shop. Of course I liked what I saw but, Then I came across the Star line. Fit and finish on the Star bikes is GREAT. And the looks are great. I like these Star Motorcycles. I was looking at a 2009 1100 Silverado at my local shop for a out the door price of about 8,800.Then I read a poste here about a 650 vs. a 1100 and was mentioned that to change the oil filter that you have to drop one of the pipes.
So I am looking for maintenance issues on the bikes.Any problems?? I want a low maint. bike. So now my thought is the 950 tourer or the 1300 tourer. And the fuel injection is a plus. I am not a fan of the 2 into one exhaust but oh well that will get changed.
Now I would like to buy a used one with a few thousand miles on one. Its hard to find a used 950 here cause they havent been out long. So I have been rideing a 250cc motor scooter, is there really that much difference between a 950 and a 1300? I am sure after I got comfortable I could ride just fine.

Regards,
JaBo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM

I really think it is hard to go wrong with the Star Bikes, Yamaha does put out a great bike. The price is very fair and you do get a quality product, I believe. It is true they screwed up a little on the 1100 oil change problem, if it is a problem, if you plan on keeping an 1100 for awhile the ork is the way to go, I believe. That's what I did, and for 230(on sale), it has paid for it's self for me. Any way you go, you are getting a real fine ride with Star. Have a great time.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBo View Post
Hello all,
I have just joined this site after reading over the post for a couple of days. I have been on the hunt for a motorcycle to fit me and my needs and wallet.
I have been to the Harley shop ,and the Honda shop. Of course I liked what I saw but, Then I came across the Star line. Fit and finish on the Star bikes is GREAT. And the looks are great. I like these Star Motorcycles. I was looking at a 2009 1100 Silverado at my local shop for a out the door price of about 8,800.Then I read a poste here about a 650 vs. a 1100 and was mentioned that to change the oil filter that you have to drop one of the pipes.
So I am looking for maintenance issues on the bikes.Any problems?? I want a low maint. bike. So now my thought is the 950 tourer or the 1300 tourer. And the fuel injection is a plus. I am not a fan of the 2 into one exhaust but oh well that will get changed.
Now I would like to buy a used one with a few thousand miles on one. Its hard to find a used 950 here cause they havent been out long. So I have been rideing a 250cc motor scooter, is there really that much difference between a 950 and a 1300? I am sure after I got comfortable I could ride just fine.

Regards,
JaBo
Jabo
Welcome,good luck finding a second hand 950,most blokes don't really want to part with once they've got one.
If your chasing a second hand ride,you may have to choose another model
Good luck & safe riding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 PM

1100-950

JaBo,

I would buy based on which bike you want. The 1100 and 950 are in the same price range. Horse power and torque are not much different. While the oil filter thing is a problem it is one of the few flaws of an 1100. The bike is a proven bike, looks good with that traditional look, and is very reliable. Been out longer and so lots of accessories are out there for it. 950 is smoother, better balance and injected. Still looks good. 950 is taking the place of the 1100 which is being phased out.

The two into one is not as cool looking as duel exhaust but two into on actually gives a little power boost. The stock pipes sound good but if you want louder then there are aftermarket.

1300, a little more bike, and is water cooled, injected, good balance, More money. Has been out for a wile, you might find a used one.

Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 PM

i have 2000 vstar 1100 had 5100 miles when I bought in may last year for $3900. I have had no issues yet, i have put 2000 miles on it during about 5 months of riding. I hadnt ridden so this is all new to me . the 1100 is a good bike, looks good, low to ground. i have added a few inexpensive items. i did add linby engine guard that are nice that cost a bit. i am looking into having seats repacked for comfort and i may drill out the discharge baffle of my stock exhaust and maybe do an air box mod.

drive safely and hope you find a really nice bike , cant go wrong with vstar, be safe and have fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode