Hi, my name is Karrie, & I am a bike-aholic... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Hi, my name is Karrie, & I am a bike-aholic...

Hi everyone! I came across this site, & thought it looked really cool, so I wanted to try it out. I love being able to talk to other people who have the same bike, (since I have become a 'bike-aholic') & maybe answer a question I have. I have never rode a bike (aside from being a passenger, of course), until my best friend told me she was selling her beautiful bike.. (she bought it brand new, but was too frightened to ride it) Anyway, it sparked something in me, & a week later, I was enrolled in MSF class. I enjoyed it immensly, & passed with flying colors.. I HIGHLY recommend that class to anyone & everyone who hasnt been. The things they teach are absolutly priceless! Anyway.. after I got my endorsement, my friend delivered my bike, a beautiful 06 Vstar classic 650.. with ALL the goodies. There is literally nothing for me to add to it except chrome neck covers, which are on the way. it even had the engine guards on it already.. My friend really went all out on the accesories! &, It only had 200 miles on it when I got it, a month ago, & I am now 45 miles away from a thousand. I am in love with my bike! The only 'problem' I am having is I havent been over 65 mph yet, because it feels like it needs to go up another gear.. like it is winding out or something... I cant really explain it, it just feels like it needs a 6th gear. As soon as I hit 65, I start backing off of the throttle because Im afraid its too 'much', it sounds really 'stressed'... is that normal?? I know there is nothing mechanically wrong with the bike, she is in perfect shape.. showroom new... & she runs beautifully.. as long as I stay between 45, & 55. I have never been the driver on a bike before, so I dont know if this is normal. The bike does not 'hesitate' when I get up to speed, its just the sound, & the feel of really needing to shift up one more gear, makes me start to back off. I dont know if I am explaining this right, but I dont know how else to say it. Does anyone out there have any ideas? I sure appreciate it!!
I am absolutly having the best time of my life with my bike, & was extremely fortunate to have found the perfect bike for me without even looking.. it fits me to a tee, & I have no problems handeling it. (I am 5'3, 105 lbs), This bike feels like it was built just for me!
Thanx in advance for any advice, info, or just a hello! (oh.. & yes, Ive already had the engine oil, filter, & gear oil changed at 600 miles, (& learned how to do it myself), & I use nothing but the best fuel available) thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM

Welcome, sounds like you got a very nice ride there. Many folks join the forum and then never hear from them again, hope you are different, be active, involved. There are a lot of good folks on here, with a lot of knowledge and years of experience willing to share. I am not tech at all, just old school guy. Others, I'm sure can give you good advise.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 PM

Welcome

Hi kerrie,

Sounds great on the 650 V Star. We had one for a while. Bought it for the wife, she never got her license so we sold it to a Lady down the road. She loves it. I rode it a few times. Is a nice bike you will like it I'm sure. I think you mostly just need to get used to it. Work up to that 65 MPH thing.

I think the motor does turn a few more RPM's than a bigger bike. No big deal. It is just geared different. The smaller motor is geared down more to give power at lower speed. But still you can run 75 MPH all day if you want.

Good luck
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for your welcomes, & for your inputs... I know I am gonna LOVE this site! Linerdave, thanx for the story.. I know exactly how your neighbor feels! I just fell in love with my bike, & ride it every single chance I get. I got really excited when you said its just a matter of getting used to, because I can deal with that! & if thats all it is, then Im all set, I dont think I'll ever want or need anything other than what I have, I am perfectly content with my bike. Maybe I will work on that tomorrow, (I planned on going for a ride anyway) I would really love to get past this... I know I would enjoy my ride so much more. But everytime I try it, I always back off.. worried that something is wrong. Its actually kind of irratating... it hinders that 'freedom' feeling... but this time I'll force myself to get her up to at least 70, & see how it feels.. keeping in mind that I just need to get used to it, Maybe that will help. (I always use very open, no-traffic, back roads when attempting any speed), Thank you again... any advice I can get is very greatly appreciated!!
Ride Safe!!!
Karrie
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Garage
Karrie,
This is not meant to be mean, but 2 days of riding classes and a thousand miles is a long way from being a safe driver. I would not be in such a big hurry to max the bike out or see what she will do. I would get more experience because at higher speeds things can go wrong in a heart beat. Just be safe and ease into it. With experience higher speeds become safer but not safe. Having said that, I know the incredible urge to open up a new bike and see what it will do. My wife has a 650 with 24,000 plus miles. These bikes will not let you over rev them. So you are safe at those high rpm's as far as the motor goes. I agree that the MSF classes are good and even us old time riders can benefit from it. My wife and I both took it when she wanted to start riding on her own and now has about 25,000 safe miles. Welcome to the world of biking, most of all be safe and ride for a long time on a very nice bike.

Last edited by farmalldanzil; 02-17-2010 at 09:42 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
Karrie,
This is not meant to be mean, but 2 days of riding classes and a thousand miles is a long way from being a safe driver. I would not be in such a big hurry to max the bike out or see what she will do. I would get more experience because at higher speeds things can go wrong in a heart beat. Just be safe and ease into it. With experience higher speeds become safer but not safe. Having said that, I know the incredible urge to open up a new bike and see what it will do. My wife has a 650 with 24,000 plus miles. These bikes will not let you over rev them. So you are safe at those high rpm's as far as the motor goes. I agree that the MSF classes are good and even us old time riders can benefit from it. My wife and I both took it when she wanted to start riding on her own and now has about 25,000 safe miles. Welcome to the world of biking, most of all be safe and ride for a long time on a very nice bike.
It wasnt 2 days, it was 4.. & why did you write to me? did you think this was going to help me? I am not trying to pull an Evil Knieval, nor am I trying to perform any SuperStunts... I am simply trying to keep up with the flow of TRAFFIC. & if the sound of my bike is something I need to get used to, & not something wrong with my bike, then I need to know that. I was under the impression that this site was somewhere I could go to ask these questions, & not have to be reminded that I am not an aged professional. So, if you dont really have anything helpful, please just move on to the next post, & give your much needed advice there. I am here to enjoy my bike, & enjoy the company of other people who enjoy their bikes, I am not here to listen to 'old time riders' tell me I am inexperienced, & my question is out of my degree of skill. I am going at my own pace, & I am learning as I go, I feel I AM a safe rider, regardless of how many miles are under my belt, You dont have to be a veteran of bikes to be a safe rider. So, in closing, I am comfortable with my opinion that getting to know my bike & keeping up with traffic is an extreme far cry from 'seeing what she will do', on the contrary, I am not at that point yet. & I ask that anyone who reads my post to please read it for what it is, I love to talk bikes, not skill degree. Thanx
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to steve1953
yammy girl, i have a vstar1100 classic, same thing, i feel it needs a 6th gear
my friends tell me(h-d & metric guys) metric engine are built for the higher rpm's
so i aint gonna sweat it
enjoy your bike, be safe, watch out the 4 wheelers that dont see ya
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM

hey yammie girl, you go girl! some of us women are natural born riders and get it from day one. i've been consistently riding almost 37 years, since age 15. weren't many guys riding back then, much less women. you are right about the 650, it's not a highway / freeway bike. when you are ready to move up, test ride a roadstar and a 950 or 1300. i also rode the raider and loved it!--it has g-force, the stratoliner was too top heavy for me. the roadstar silverado was the most practical as a commuter bike. the speed limit is 70 here, and if you are only doing 70, you are eating everyone's dust. there's also the new 1300 stryker that i can't wait to test ride.

Last edited by roadstarrider; 01-17-2011 at 04:31 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Congrats on the bike Yammy!
Pics, Pics, Pics!
I picked up a 650 Classic late last Summer & love it.
Very comfortable cruiser at that 0-65 mph.
But you're right, at that 55+ it's feeling pretty wound up.
From what everyone tells me though, they're just about bullet-proof, so just get use to the sound/feel and you should be fine.
Ride safe!

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late"
2002 V-Star 650 Classic - Pics & Mods: http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...nannmc/V-Star/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode