New Member... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

New Member...

Good morning all!!

Just joined the group this snowy morning. I'm not a VStar owner just yet, but I will be this afternoon. I'm off to a dealer to purchase a leftover red '09 VStar 1300 Tourer.

I just sold my other two bikes ... an '06 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec scooter that I used mainly for commuting back and forth to work, and my first cruiser; an '03 Honda Shadow ACE 750. Although I'm really REALLY sorry to see the Burgman go (so much fun to ride), my new job has a terrible commute and there was a comfort issue for me on long rides. Plus, I didn't want my ONLY bike to be a scooter anymore. BTW ... I'd recommend that scooter anytime - yes, it was that awesome. The Shadow? ... well, I just plain outgrew it.

So ... after much research I narrowed the purchase down to two bikes the VStar and the VTX. I chose the VStar for several reasons... more HP, lighter, larger fuel tank, better fuel economy, fuel injection over carb., better luggage, and belt drive over shaft (probably the same reasons you picked this bike as well, if you were considering the same two side-by-side).

Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to getting into this forum further. IMHO it's the best way to gather intel.

Later!

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Welcome from another noob to this forum. I just joined a few days ago. I found this forum because of a link from the Yamaha Motorcycle Forum.

Post up some pics of the new bike when you get it home. You must be in an area where you don't have 2 ft of snow in your yard like I do. It's only been high 20s around here so my bikes have been parked.

Dave in Iowa
2009 Star 950T Raven
- Cobra Speedster Longs
- Barons BAK (smooth)
- Cobra Fi2000
- Lindby Linbar

Future Additions
- LED Lighting
- Batwing Fairing
- Mustang Seat
- Black out some chrome
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Dave.

Well I'm back from the dealer. Purchased the '09 VStar Tour in Galaxy Blue for $9875 including everything except tax and mv fees. I think I did rather well.

Also ordered the RSTD handlebar and it will be installed by the dealer by the time I pickup the bike. Total cost for that - $190. Not sure, but I think I got a fair deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Your first post said you were getting a red bike??? I take it the blue one called your name a little louder?

Don't forget pics when you get it home!

Dave in Iowa
2009 Star 950T Raven
- Cobra Speedster Longs
- Barons BAK (smooth)
- Cobra Fi2000
- Lindby Linbar

Future Additions
- LED Lighting
- Batwing Fairing
- Mustang Seat
- Black out some chrome
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengnnj View Post
Good morning all!!

Just joined the group this snowy morning. I'm not a VStar owner just yet, but I will be this afternoon. I'm off to a dealer to purchase a leftover red '09 VStar 1300 Tourer.

I just sold my other two bikes ... an '06 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec scooter that I used mainly for commuting back and forth to work, and my first cruiser; an '03 Honda Shadow ACE 750. Although I'm really REALLY sorry to see the Burgman go (so much fun to ride), my new job has a terrible commute and there was a comfort issue for me on long rides. Plus, I didn't want my ONLY bike to be a scooter anymore. BTW ... I'd recommend that scooter anytime - yes, it was that awesome. The Shadow? ... well, I just plain outgrew it.

So ... after much research I narrowed the purchase down to two bikes the VStar and the VTX. I chose the VStar for several reasons... more HP, lighter, larger fuel tank, better fuel economy, fuel injection over carb., better luggage, and belt drive over shaft (probably the same reasons you picked this bike as well, if you were considering the same two side-by-side).

Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to getting into this forum further. IMHO it's the best way to gather intel.

Later!

D
Welcome from another newbie to this site!

Your story sounds a little familiar. I've been riding a 750 Shadow Spirit for the last couple of years and just considering moving up. I'm torn between two bikes ... the 950 V-Star or the 1300 V-Star. Believe it or not, the cost for the 950 is higher because my dealer has two crated and unassembled 2007 1300 models they are willing to sell at a discounted price that is $1,500 less than the 950 Tourer. I've read quite a few reviews for both bikes and so far the only negative about the 1300 is the low speed performance (lugs and surges) and clutch (noise). Have you heard anything like this?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiquer View Post
I've read quite a few reviews for both bikes and so far the only negative about the 1300 is the low speed performance (lugs and surges) and clutch (noise). Have you heard anything like this?
I did read a couple of things about low speed performance but only regarding issues with a lack of low-end torque. Mostly every review, professional and not were positive.

Also, I was thinking about getting a 900 Vulcan or a 950 Vstar as well. But, moving up from a 750 to a 950 didn't make much sense for me as it wasn't long before I outgrew my Shadow.

I think it's a matter of personal taste and what you're going to be happy and comfortable with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode