Hello, looking for some help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Hello, looking for some help

Hello to all. Name is Aaron from still freezing Gaylord Michigan, current temp is a lovely 38f.... Great spring so far bleck.. anyway, long story short I am a big guy 6'2'' and well a big guy haha. Im looking at buying a 2007 vstar 1300 tourer. Heres my worry though. The bike is over 2 hours away, and my local dealership has none in stock so I cant really test it. Its pretty much drive to get the bike or go 4 hours for nothing. I only worry because I have a really bad back. Multiple herniated disc and arthritic disc's to boot, so although I still have good strength I worry about the weight of the 1300. I have been riding my little kawasaki 500 for many years now, but it is atleast 200 pounds lighter. I have no problems at all manuvering that bike around and would have no issue if it tipped. My concern is the extra 200 pounds. As far as the bike is concerned those out there that have them that are maybe smaller guys or any others out there with thoughts about this to help settle my mind would be much appreciated. I just worry if I should go with a smaller version of the v star. But like i said Im a big guy, which basically am the size of people goin two up you know. My 500 kaw has no problem moving my fat butt, but I cant get a backrest for drivers seat on my 500 so thats kinda my main reason for going for a bigger v star, I can hopefully extend trips from 20-30 miles to hour or two long trips if I do highway pegs, drivers backrest and oh.., I guess if I havent aggrevated you enough, I have heard there is a great debate on seats on here, but whats the big gripe about the stock 1300 seat? lastly, what is the best/most adjustable/most affordable drivers backrest for the 1300? To all that read this, thanks so much for your time and consideration in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM

Since no one else has piped in - I will. The vstars are extremely well balanced and have a low center of gravity. I'm only 5'4" and have some back issues too. I bought a roadstar which is 770 pounds wet - I think the 1300 is a bit lighter, not sure. At 6'2" I don't see you having any trouble with a 1300 but ymmv of course. You didn't say WHAT Kawi 500 - so no idea if you have a kawi cruiser or sport bike style now. My back does not like the sport bike ride for longer than an hour. My back likes the big comfy couch feel of a cruiser. The star's are great bikes. I say its worth going to look at...not that big a deal if you decide to walk away...have a nice meal in the middle.

Annie
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Hi Annie! Thanks for your reply. Right now I ride my 1997 kaw vulcan 500en. Little cruiser. I need the comfy cushion feel and laid back which is what is drawing me to the vstar 1300. I did all I could to my bike to make it more comfy, but it doesnt have a drivers backrest available to buy and I never can get a pack to feel right, so I am opting for the more comfy bike with backrest available. hoping the 1300 will be a good choice. I LOVE the look to it and the guys asking not much at all so here goes.... thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

from what i've heard, it's really well balanced and will only feel like a heavier bike when lifting it off its kickstand and going at slower speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. you should ask your question in the V Star thread to get some 1300 owners to see it and respond.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply bevo. It wouldnt let me post in vstar thread to start, but it did finally later today so I have done so, just waitin on replys now. Thanks again have a great day!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Garage
Well no one said thisyet so here it goes.

Welcome to the forum. You have found the best forum to satisfy your Vstar thirst for knowledge. Lots of great folks on here always willing to help out, even Kawi guyss . All of the answers you've got so far are leading you in the right direction. Go see it, try it out and come home with it . Once you get home with it, take a pic or two and post them here.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Well no one said thisyet so here it goes.

Welcome to the forum. You have found the best forum to satisfy your Vstar thirst for knowledge. Lots of great folks on here always willing to help out, even Kawi guyss . All of the answers you've got so far are leading you in the right direction. Go see it, try it out and come home with it . Once you get home with it, take a pic or two and post them here.

finally came home with it! rode once and fell in love... that can be applied to many things in my life ahhahah, but yeah awesome bike, cant wait to do all i want to it. Thats my biggest issue now. Fall in love and poof there goes all your spendin money
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Garage
Congrats on getting that nice chartreuse and pink 1300. You just got to love the special editions. Post some pics of it to show the others the fantastic colour combo you got.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode