v star not firing on the forward cylinder - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

v star not firing on the forward cylinder

I just purchased a 2001 V star 650. The bike has 2,850 miles on it and has not been ran since 2008. Friend stored it inside and it looks like new. Once started on choke, it would idle but die when throttled. I drained the tank added stabilizer and cleaned the plugged jets. Engine cranks like it has even compression and starts and will now take throttle but, running somewhat rough. Noted that the forward cylinder is cool to the touch and exhaust gases are also cold. Rear cylinder warms up normally. Pulled front plug which was gas fouled. Replace plug and no change in the condition. just checked coil ignition systems resistance with a fluke 87 III. on the 400 ohm setting both coils are at 4.30 ohms resistance. secondary coil resistance at 400 ohms settings: Rear 21.87 Front 21.57.

I have ran out of ideals. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Roger

Last edited by Roger Lepin; 04-09-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: submitted prior to finishing text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM

I'm not sure if this will help but I had the same problem, bike sitting and running on one cylinder. It turned out the carb was gumeded up. Can you tell if you are getting spark to Forward cylinder? I know you cleaned the jets, did you pull the carbs and soak or spray cleaner while on the bike. I'm sure other here can be more help but this was excatly my issue (except rear cylinder wasn't running). My problem was fixed by removing, cleaning, and syncing the carbs. Anyway good luck and hopefully someone else may have better info on the coil resistances.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a million. I just hooked up a automotive spark plug ignition tester to the plug wire and will see if there is visible spark (was previously unsure if it would work with the bikes long spark plug boot ). Looks like it should work. If spark is present, I will definitely pull the carbs.
Back to the garage and thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

The node tester worked. I have spark. Should have used it prior to thinking past the basics. Been out of the game for too long :-).

Will re-visit the carbs
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

you may want to ask in the V Star thread to get more answers

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Welcome to the forum. I would love to help you out but I have ZERO knowledge if anything mechanical. Now you are going to get a handful of people that are going to beg and plead for pictures. They will also tell you about contest and prizes if you post pictures so start posting.

2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight.

Give blood Play Hockey
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Kayak is correct, you need to post pics and fast. The more pics, the more likely you will get help. In fact, most people find that once they post pics, the problems all fix themselves. Just a thought.

Oh, I almost forgot the prizes! For every pic you post you get an entry in the monthly new member prize contest. Last month they gave away a Stratoliner 1900. Of course, that pretty much blew the prize budget for the decade, but still - post up those pics.

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Roger. lots of great folks on here that are willing to help; but you already noticed that. I think that if you post a nice pic or two, a nice barn strat might be made available for the monthly prize . Post to get a chance on it

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Welcome aboard and +1 on re-visiting the carbs. Might also be worth while to check the fuel lines for blockage/restrictions. Good luck

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode