New Member Introduction: tpbeebejr - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Smile New Member Introduction: tpbeebejr

Hello, My name is Tom. I am a new member from Landenberg, PA, 19350, near the extreme SE corner of PA, just a few hundred yards from the border with DE. I have owned a 2001 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic since about 2006. I bought it from a friend in NY who was the first owner I believe. Until about 2010 I have only been performing basic maintenance on it, with no significant modifications from stock. Since then, I have added a sissy bar with a small rack, some saddle bags, some chrome fender accents, and other minor cosmetic changes. There should be a picture uploaded with this post.

While out on a short ride on an unseasonably nice day in February 2013, the bike started to crap out and exhibit low power, and finally stall. Taking this as an omen, I have become very interested in learning more and digging in. I bought a Clymer manual and I have been reading lots of stuff on the internet, some good, some bad.

I completely disassembled my twin carbs and cleaned everything. I changed the oil and filter, added a new fuel filter, new plugs, new stock air filter, etc. After reading about some common modifications to the V-Star, I removed the AIS system and noticed that my backfiring on deceleration immediately stopped.

Bitten by the bug of DIY modifications, I decided to bore out the first and last baffles in my stock mufflers, leaving only the middle baffle, and essentially making each of the mufflers straight-through systems. The sound improvement was fantastic! I also purchased a pair of MaxMix pilot mixture screws from MaxAir and put some nail polish on the thumb wheel of each so I can count the turns easily. I am running at about 3.0 turns out now. I built a DIY dual manometer with 1/4-inch clear Tygon tubes filled with oil and was able to balance the carbs nicely. To help offset the leaning-out effect of opening up the mufflers I added one 0.020-inch-thick spacer (making a total of 0.040-inch spacing below the white donut) on the diaphragm needle.

My next DIY modification will be installation of two pod filters under the gas tank instead of the stock air box. After that I will start to experiment with some more jet changes. I will probably start by changing the stock pilot jets (17.5) to 20.0. I will probably start by changing the stock main jets from 112.5 front and 110.0 rear to 145.0 on both front and rear cylinders, although this seems like a big jump.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic (2001).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	7417  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

that maroon goes really well with cream

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the long intro. Just a word of advice you better post up some kind of picture before the Canadians get cranky..

2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight.

Give blood Play Hockey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM

Oh that's a beautiful bike - Welcome Heebeejeebee!

That intro was so perfect, you would have won the monthly prize for sure! We just gave away a Stratoliner 1900 and I haven't seen a better new member intro. So sorry you didn't post up earlier.

But, I can still offer a consolation prize. Google "Vstar 1100 wiki knowledge base" and you'll find a wealth of information (bookmark that page for sure). You'll learn that once you make the change to PODS and a full exhaust, you'll be best running 150 jets on both mains, and 20 jets on the pilots. I know it sounds like a big jump (b/c it is a big jump) but the stock intake is VERY restrictive and PODS will fix that.

I don't recall the recommended jets for PODS and stock exhaust minus baffles, but you'll find it on the wiki KB.

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 PM

Welcome Tom.. Nice ride you got there.Sounds like your well on your way..

Sonysnek
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Tom. Real nice looking ride you have. Superb intro also. I'm thinking of doing the pods mod also. I keep reading on how it improved the performance of the bike and gave it that extra humph in the throttle. Post often, participate in the discussions and,

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode