Newbie here - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Cool Newbie here

Hi! I'm from Houston area and have a Yamaha '03 V-Star 1100 classic. Had about 6 mos, did my courses, passed my DPS and ride ok, EXCEPT: I keep stalling out when I need to turn, after a full stop. I ride through my neighborhood, and it just chaps my hide (better than the bike chapping my hide) but can I get some advice on how to start out from a dead stop without stalling? especially while turning? Thanks

Lou, yep, im a newbie 'Lady Rider'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Congradulations

Lou,

Congratulations on the course and the bike. After a while you will not even think about the stalling thing. In the mean time maybe give it just a little more gas and let the engine rev just a little more before you start letting the clutch out. When you feel the clutch starting to take hold slow the rate you release it. At really low RPM the two cylinder V twin engine can stall easy. At first you may tend to over do that also but you will find a happy medium.

I saw a vidio where the instructor backed his bike againsed the curb in a spot where there was just a slight slope toward the curb. He then practiced letting the clutch out, finding the "friction point" When the bike moved just a little he let it drift back against the curb and started over. Getting a feel for the clutch and gas. Some things we are not born with we learn as we go.

Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:05 PM

yep . I had the same problem but practice will work through it. You dont have to pull the clutch in but about half of a inch . Slowly release it till it starts to just pull .Then back it off a hair to disengage it. Then slowly release her and at the same slowly feed her some gas. you just have to get a feel for that clutch. I was pulling it in all the way at first. But you dont need to do that.

JaBo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Welcome to the site, and to the world of motorcycling.
Dave is right. You just need to get used to the clutch.
Once you do, you will be fine. Very important to have confidence.
Visualize yourself thru the turn and once the bike is rolling,
you have total control over it. Have fun, and enjoy.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 PM

The guys are tellin you straight, basically ain't nothin beats plain ol time in the saddle and practice, practice, practice, won't be very long before you got it, we all went through it at one time in our early riding career. Ride Safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode