New guy with no bike (yet) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

New guy with no bike (yet)

I am 45 and I guess getting a late start in all this motorcycle stuff. Just got my license a month ago after finishing the PAMSP. I live in PA.

I am mostly looking for a cruiser type since I am pretty short. I used to like sport bikes but I just have no desire to go fast anymore. Maybe now is a good time to start to ride.....

I test rode a Virago 250, liked it pretty much except the pull back bars felt like I was in a postition of weakness, not really able to make evasive manuevers if I would need to. I rode a 650 Star a few days later and liked the upright position more. I want to spend this summer test riding and figuring out just what I want and to save up more money.

See ya,
Happy Hunter
btw I like hunting and the outdoors...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 PM

Welcome to the forum. Glad your here and willing to ask some question. There is nothing wrong with taking your time. I would say ride or go to as many demo days as possible. Ride all sorts of bikes. You will find what you like and want to be on.

2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight.

Give blood Play Hockey
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum HH. I hope your not trying to get around not posting a pic or two by saying that you don't have a ride yet . I'll let you in on a little secret, get a 1100 . Well balanced with lots of power and modability beyond belief.

Let us know what you decided on.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Happy,
You're gonna get lots of ideas on which bike to buy. The best answer has already been given. Spend as much time as you can test riding the bikes you're interested in. When you find the right one, you'll know it.
As to your late start in motorcycling...I didn't get back into the two wheel scene again until I was in my late fifties. I'm now pushing 70 and still riding (cruisers, of course).
Good luck in your hunt, AND...when you get the bike, be sure to post pictures. We all love pictures.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM

Welcome Happy Ending!

I can definitely vouch for the 1100 - and prices are fantastic too.

As you already know, ride everything you can and don't feel rushed. The right bike will find you, and you'll know when its right

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

howdy. if you plan on getting on the highway any, i would suggest at least a 650. the 250 isn't really made for highway speeds

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 AM

Welcome aboard, livin' and ridin' in PA is crazy this year. Had 30 Degrees temp this morning and scrape-able frost on the windshield.

Agree with Bevo. 250cc is a bit smallish for a cruiser. I traded out of my Honda Shadow 750 for the VStar 1300 after just a season and a half with it. The 750 was a nice bike and it got me back into riding after a 33 year hiatus. Went up in cc's and bike to get better on the slab riding as well as it handles 2 up better.

Do what is comfortable for you.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 AM

I started riding 4years ago. I wanted to get a 250 , my friends said I was making a mistake, I bought one anyway. It was a nice little bike to get use to riding BUT within 2 months I upgraded to a 1100 custom. The bigger bike actually felt more stable on the road.
Good luck , ride safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Getting started

I did not get into biking until I was in my late 50's.
My wife said that with active sports starting to come to an end ... both knees fully replaced .. I needed a new outlet.
We talked boating and muscle cars and fell upon a bike test ride at a local shop one Saturday when out for a drive.
Did not ride of course but looked at bikes and was taken by a 750 Shadow.
I made the purchase that same day on the encouragement/push of my wife but could not ride it home as unlicenced and no riding experience.
Left the bike in storage at the dealers as it was fall anyway and thought it might be spring before it would make it some how to our residence some 75 miles away.
That Thanksgiving ... October for us Canadians ... my son and son in law were chatting at the dinner table and mentioned their desire to ride motorcycles to which I stated I had bought one but did not have it home.
They could not believe I would do such a thing so offered to take the truck and pick it up for me thinking I would have to retrack my having a bike.
Instead I said good idea how about next week end.
Off we went ... brought it home ... my wife purchased one as well ... both took the training became licenced .. been riding since.
The 750 was traded on my Vstar 1100 which is the greatest.
And further a friend of mine at the age of 71 who had always dreamed of owning a bike just purchase and has gained his licence to ride .... only mistake which I have forgiven him for is he bought a used Harley.
Sorry for being so lengthy but had to share my story.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Welcome... I'm moving from a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 to a new-to-me 2002 V Star 1100. I couldn't be happier right now. Just having a tough time finding a reasonably priced front fender for it. Good luck on finding what you want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode