New TN member here - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

New TN member here

Hey everyone, my name is Hunter. I bought a 2004 vstar 650 and have been putting it through it's paces. I bought this bike a few weeks ago after it had sat for a number of years without any love. It has about 3,400 miles on it. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the carb joints, and replaced all the hoses on the bike as they were cracking due to age. I got it back together and it ran like it ought to. I rode about 400 miles over the weekend and on Monday night after riding approximately 80 miles that day it started starving for fuel a few miles from the house. It ran beautifully and problem free for that first 480 miles. At first I thought I was hitting the reserve but after changing the petcock it still kept starving; eventually to the point that the engine stalled. I stopped and waited a few minutes and it fired back up. I can hear the fuel pump clicking. I probably had to pull over and restart the bike roughly 10 times to get the rest of the way home. Sometimes it would run for a few miles, other times only a tenth of a mile. It seems like the longer I waited between it stalling and restarting it, the farther I could run before it stalled again. In my experience, that points to a fuel filter, but I replaced it earlier in the week so I don't think that's it. The "starving" was not consistent enough to think that it might be a jet clogging up. It was half way through a tank of fuel, so I don't think it was a tank of bad gas either. I've checked the fuel lines and no obstructions or kinks. I'm going to check the fuses tomorrow and then make sure I have 12 volts getting to the fuel pump. I saw on one board that someone suggested checking the TPS. What do you folks think? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 05:19 AM

Any rust, sediment, or other type of sludge built up in the bottom of the tank itself?

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum eh. Fuel starvation is a direct result of not posting a pic in your intro. We are more of a visual bunch here and a pic would help out in us helping to solve this issue . You should post your question in the vstar forum and one of our experts will be along and help out for sure. But I think your rinning on empty; 480 miles on one tank wow talk about great gas mileage .

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 AM

Welcome Hunter!

Pics for sure

What were the weather conditions during the last part of your ride? Any chance you had high winds?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

someone in the V Star forum should have some good advice

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM

sounds like vapor lock to me. check and see if tank vent is clogged. once a vacuum forms inside tank, fuel can't flow to carbs. after it sits for a bit air gets back into tank enough to allow fuel to flow again.

Sonysnek
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Welcome to the forum.. Glad you joined. I would say that's a great looking ride. But since its a invisible one I can't really see the crying Santa Claus you had airbrushed on the tank.. So I can't comment on the look.

My advice best advice is always stop and stops signs and look both ways before crossing..

2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight.

Give blood Play Hockey
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Here's the only pic I have so far. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	970360_10151482182301234_1750981484_n.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	10993  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode