New VStar 1100 Owner... Shuts down while riding - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

New VStar 1100 Owner... Shuts down while riding

I have an 03 VStar 1100 Classic, 13200 miles. I took it for a short ride Thursday with no issues. Friday, I took it for a quick ride to the office and on my way home, it cut off on me. I had to pull over and hit start multiple times with throttle help to get it started, then would only make it a couple of miles before pulling in the clutch to start downshifting and slow down for a turn, it cut off. It did this three times before it would not start back up. It would just click really fast. Today, I turned the key, it clicked several times for a couple of seconds and then stopped, I hit the start button and it cranked up like nothing was wrong. I haven't taken it for a ride because I don't feel like pushing it home again. This is my first bike so I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs...

Thoughts?

Yamaha Vstar 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Battery cables. Both ends. It's a good start. Give your battery a full charge while you're at it just to tell it everything's going to be OK.

Many times I have seen similar types of problems and the owner checked the battery cables and didn't bother with the engine ground or positive hookup when they were actually the problem. I don't have a copy of your wiring diagram but you are describing more than one circuit that each connect back to the primary battery circuit (ignition and starter are two separate primary circuits). Annually is a good routine for checking them.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM

From an old thread but the link is still good.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...Wiring-Diag-US
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Garage
Well lets start with a Welcome to the forum Mike. Nice ride you have, wish we could see it. You just got to love those boomatron problems. One day it's there the other it's not, maybe . Definately check the battery connections, the charge and kickstand switch circuit. Let us know what you found.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have been trying to recreate the problem for the last hour and she seems to be running fine. There were a few times where she sounded like she was going to quit or there was an extra loud pop but she kept running. Battery initially was charging between 17-18 v when running but then slowly dropped to the 13-15 area with a few random drops below 10 or even lower. I've shut her off and cranked her back up several times with no issues. I'm going to let the pipes and engine cool down before i start checking the wires. The wires to the battery seem secure, so I dont know.

Oh and here she is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	10969  

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

unplugged the ground, plugged it back and now it wont start. rapid clicking started then that died into a quiet moan.... now absolutely nothing happens when i push start. battery reading about 5.5

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:01 AM

Welcome to the forum. Thats a really nice looking ride.
I wish I could help you out with your issue but Im not the mechanical kind of guy. Hopefully you will get your answers and fix fast so you can start riding again soon.

2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight.

Give blood Play Hockey
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_10 View Post
Well, I have been trying to recreate the problem for the last hour and she seems to be running fine. There were a few times where she sounded like she was going to quit or there was an extra loud pop but she kept running. Battery initially was charging between 17-18 v when running but then slowly dropped to the 13-15 area with a few random drops below 10 or even lower. I've shut her off and cranked her back up several times with no issues. I'm going to let the pipes and engine cool down before i start checking the wires. The wires to the battery seem secure, so I dont know.
iolts and will fry.

Oh and here she is!
if the battery voltage is over 15 i think your regulator is bad.your battery can't take that many volts and will fry
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:36 AM

Check battery both on its own and with a load. My dads trucks often shut off when putting the clutch in and it was a loose ground cable

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Dirt:
Holly - '93 Honda CR250

Street:
Vanessa - '04 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode