2013.....Year of The Mothership - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

2013.....Year of The Mothership

Hello......

My 2000 Vstar 1100 classic is my second big bike and first twin.

I got it in mostly stock condition and have been building it up using advice I've found on forums like this. The forums were iinstrumental in my first build.....a 1976 Gold Wing that I have put nearly 10,000 miles on since bringing it back to life.

I've done a few things that have improved performance and sound and am about to begin road testing in the next few weeks. it's a big loud fast mover now.......a bit of a pooch at first, but now she roars some.

I don't think I'll be ready for a cam any time soon.....gonna get used to it as is.

Thanks for the knowledge and experience and happy riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mothership.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	11305  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 PM

Welcome Hippy Offspring!

Very unusual to get a new member intro from someone who already has the bike where they want it

Even better when the first post come with a pic. We're always happy to help spend your money on mods, so just post up your credit card info and we'll get going

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply....

LOL!!!!!

I spent two years wrenching on that wing before I got to take a ride on it. I'm only waiting a few more weeks to get this new ship off the docks.

I'm already very impressed with the layout of the design and the engineering Yamaha put into these bikes. I think the next thing I want to do is figure out the oil sending unit and why these early Stars show red lights.......it's disconcerting to see the oil light staring back at me............

I hear the placement of the sending unit has something to do with it all.....I might try to find and install a simple gauge for my peace of mind.......otherwise, I am super stoked and excited to run her through the paces. I'm hoping for a good riding season and a safe journey for us all. See you on a Texas highway soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 PM

I'm riding an 06 1100 classic and love it. I've had no issue with the oil light being on and haven't heard of that problem on this forum, so maybe the '06 is a 'late star' from that point.

I've also been wrenching on the '07 Strat 1900 since I got it in March and it has yet to see the road (though I hope to change all that THIS month). I have seen a nifty oil gauge for the strats, so maybe there is something similar for the 1100 out there.

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Mods so far.......

I installed a .115 jet for my front jug and moved the .112 to the rear......The intake has been opened up some, but not at the airbox yet........that's gonna be on the list soon........

When I got it, it was "cold blooded" and didn't like starting. I noticed the pilots had been upgraded, but the mains were still stock.....Adding the larger main jets made a HUGE improvement in performance.....backfire disappeared and the power comes in a steady progression....she just didn't do that before......it felt like the midrange lug my old wing used to give me when I hit the coals at 3,000 RPM.......chug....then roar...

Deceleration no longer pops and farts backfire.....

Most recently, I added a pair of Screaming Eagle slip ons and now enjoy awesome sound and much less restricted flow. The baffles have this little scoop configuration that create backflow.....most impressed with the sound and right away noticed a significant improvement in throttle response......or maybe I'm just hitting it harder now that it sounds so good.....The only pinch seems to be in the stock manifold right off the jugs and the stock pipe coming down to where I expanded the tubes for the slip ons seems kinda narrow IMHO.......I want it fatter if possible.......so I'm looking for a manifold-pipe setup someday too.

I also tore the rusting and useless air system off as soon as I saw it.....built plugs from brass fittings I had in the shop.

The packs and fairing are Harley and Harley aftermarket. I've soldered every wire connection that wasn't stock and insulated with mastic tape covered with Super 33 electrical tape.....I added a tach send for tuning and maybe the possible addition of a small dial tach down the road.....depends on if I can find one I like for the spot I want it.....and it's just good to know what your motor is doing sometimes.....

So far the hardest part is getting used to the fat front tire on these bikes, as well as my new seating position.....the Wing sat higher and had a skinny front tire....totally different feel......but they're remarkably nimble for so long a ride. I'm really looking forward to opening it up some. I really like how it's responded.

Last edited by Starchild; 06-04-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: clarity
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Here's my idea.....

http://www.sscustomcycle.com/product...star1100.shtml

Someone already did all the work. According to my notes, the 2000 V star oil sending unit works on volume.....not pressure. I think Pressure is probably what I want to monitor most......from my seat, if you lose pressure, it doesn't matter if your reservoir is full or not. Your engine's still burning up. Now, I gotta find a hundie I ain't spending....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 PM

You're well on your way to a great 1100 for sure!

The AIS had to go once you had the aftermarket exhaust. You already resolved the plug issue, but many have discovered that a used .45 ACP shell casing fits perfectly and gives your bike one more 'special' touch.

For more jetting info than you probably want (and more general 1100 info than you can finish in one night) google 'wiki vstar 1100 knowledge base' and then bookmark the page. You can thank the SloanServices site for the original KB, and then our own member Slick Mick for making the updated change over to the wiki KB. Of course, many of the original contributors like FullTilt can still be found answering questions here (and I send out my thanks whenever I see the chance).

If you want to open up the intake, POD filters are the only answer and also the cheapest option. With PODs and a full aftermarket exhaust, I'm running 150 mains and 21.5 pilots. Although everyone seems to agree that 20 pilots are the better option (and I'll probably back it down to 20 next time I'm in the carbs).

Enjoy the bike and the forum, there is a world of info here!

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Capt Kirk. Super looking bike you have and great build. You're giving me the taste to do some more mods on mine but I think the finance minister might put a hold on that .

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 AM

Oh great, now see what you've gone and done. ......
Last time Corsair got in this mood he planned a Canadian invasion of the states, so we gotta get this under control quick.

Maybe we can just get him a double-double from Horton's and call it a day.......

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. It really sounds like you are very advanced when it comes t working on it. If I can figure out how to start mine I do a dance.. I'm not the mechanic type at all. You have a great looking ride..

2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight.

Give blood Play Hockey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode