Hello From Oklahoma - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello From Oklahoma

Hello everyone! I joined the forum today because I'm looking at purchasing my first brand new motorcycle. I've been riding for 13 years and learned on a 1988 Honda Hurricane. I bought a 2007 Kawasaki ZZR600 used in 07, and taught my wife how to ride as well. After taking an 800 mile road trip on the ZZR, I'm come to the conclusion that it's time to get a cruiser. I'm 28 years old and had plenty of fun on the crotch rockets, but I'd rather be comfortable than go fast. I ride year round and have roughly 19,000 miles on the 2007 sportbike. After going to the HD dealer in Joplin Missouri, I found I could get a much better deal on a metric bike (roughly half the price) with a lot more extras on it. So after reading tons of reviews and sitting on well over a dozen bikes I came across this 2012 V Star 950 Tourer. I got the dealer to throw in free passenger boards, and cut the price of the best mustang seat you can buy. I found out that insurance is a lot easier to come by now that I'm over 25 and married With the approval of my S.O. and with the promise that the Kawasaki would stay in the driveway, I now have the option of buying the V Star brand spanking new. Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments would be much appreciated. You have less than 24 hours to speak your mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. the 950 is the best bike you can choose. just ask me

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM

Hello from St. Louis!

Glad to hear Joplin is recovering nicely from last year's tornado. You certainly can't go wrong with the 950 (though I'm a fan of used over new for even more savings).

What other Yamaha cruisers have you considered?

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Garage
Welcome from north of the border. The 950 is one sweet bike for sure but if you plan on doing lots of two up riding you may want to consider a bit bigger. Mind you, you didn't say if you were going to ride two up or single. Not that the 950 won't be able to handle it; just that a bit bigger bike may give you a smoother ride and have more power if you need it. On the other hand, you seem to have secured one heck of a good deal, so I say go for it. Can't go wrong with a Star

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2-up

I do plan on riding two up quite a bit, but I'm also planning some solo trips. Between the wife and I, we don't exceed 300lbs. "Miescha" I was looking at the Roadliner after I met a guy in Severy Kansas that had one. I originally thought it would be way too much bike, but after actually sitting on one and getting the feel for it I found that it is incredibly balanced for the size. My main reason for going new over used is the interest rate. Instead of buying a used 1300cc+ engine I could pick up the 950 tourer brand new. I'm going to test ride the 950 later today so that's when I'll make the final decision.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:37 PM

Hello from Tulsa. 950 owner here as well. Love it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM

Garage
Welcome to the 4M!

I looked a while at a few used bikes of different sizes but like you, found a great deal on a new one. I like my 2012 950 a lot. It's my first bike ever. No problems with power, done plenty of highway and up and down mountain road riding solo and 2-up. Me and the better half top 400 and the 950 has no problems pushing 70-80+ mph up a hill. Also, my bike is still stock in the performance department. Looking at an intake, Powrpro, and maybe a slip-on or a not-too-too loud full exhaust. If its too loud, I was informed I would be doing a lot more solo riding.

Good luck deciding and ride safe!

2012 V-Star 950 - Liquid Silver

Rubber down - shiny up!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The new and the old

Waiting for the mustang seat for the front and back including the new sissy bar pad, a bigger windshield, and passenger floorboards coming in just a few days

200 miles on day one = one happy guy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 PM

I guess you bought the bike - congrats!

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Certainly

"Miescha" I most certainly did buy the bike. At first I was worried if I made the right decision but after logging a few miles and getting relaxed it's the best purchase I've ever made. The wife was happy too, but I think she'll be even more impressed after those Mustang seats come in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode