New to the star...help appreciated. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

New to the star...help appreciated.

Hey guys,

I started riding last July - got an 883 Sportster for my first bike. It was a great bike to learn on, but wasn't long before I felt like I was on a girl's bike (no offense, ladies). So, just sold the Sporty, looking to upgrade to a real cruiser in the next couple of weeks.

I've been looking at Vulcans and VTX's. Then today I went to the local Yamaha dealer and sat on a "new" '07 Vstar 1300 and a "new" '08 Roadliner. The weight distribution is sooo much better in the Yamahas. Both bikes felt as light as my little old Sporty despite being 2-300 lbs heavier. Whereas the VTX and the Vulcan required some muscle just to pull them off the kickstand.

So, point of the story is, I think I've decided on a roadliner or a 1300, any tips-advice? My primary use of the bike is going to be touring. My old man rides a honda st1300 and we've got big plans to go all over the country once I get a real bike. The bikes seemed really similar to me in person. Thanks, Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Just me, but if you plan on makin the long runs, go the Liner route, I run an 1100 and run long runs, but a lots of folks ain't comphy that small. The Liners are a class act for sure. Yamaha is a great choise. Good luck with what you decide, have fun, ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 PM

Liner / 1300

My opinion you will be happy with either bike. Lots of happy owners of V Star 1300's out there.

I have a Stratoliner. Glad I went that way. As you pointed out the aluminum frame helps keep weight low and to a minimum. Although the bike does weigh 750 lbs. The low center of balance and stiff frame make for a good handling. You won't realize it is that heavy. The big motor makes more power than you will ever need. Long wheel base and big tires give a good ride. Double counter balancing makes the V twin as smooth as any. Is a very reliable bike. I have 42,000 miles no repairs, just maintenance and brakes. Gas mileage is good, I get 40 to 45 MPG. Some ride harder and get less.

On the negative side, lots of heat and lots of noise. Tires are expensive. Some buffeting behind stock windshield but lowers solve that. Stock passenger seat stinks like most cruisers.

For long halls you may want risers or touring handlebars. The "Easy Rider" handlebars have you leaning forward slightly, like most cruisers.

So if you go with the bigger bike to start you will not need to worry about going to a bigger bike later. If you want more noise and power ther are lots of mods and accessories.
Some get the basic model and buy aftermarket bags and fairing.

Good luck
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Try the Road Star Silverado. A lot of bike with the same quality characteristics as the others but may fit you better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode