Howdy! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Howdy!

Hi all.
I'm new to the forum and to bikes (I'm 24 and don't have one yet :-).

I've completed the MSF new rider course (and loved it) and I've been looking for just the right bike for a while now.

I was referred to this forum after seeing a GORGEOUS bike at a gas station last week, and the great guy riding gave me this group as a resource (and if you are reading this, you left so quick I didn't get your name, but I'd recognize that purple bike anywhere!).

I'm leaning toward a 650cc bike, but I'm open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum SG. Would that purple machine have woodland nymphs on it by chance. The 650 is a nice starter bike but you'll soon catch a case of CCitiss. So my suggestion to you would be to buy used and then go for the gusto . If you have any other questions about different Star bikes, ask away. you'll get tons of answers for sure.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I started out on a 650 vstar and gradually moved up to bigger bikes. I think it's a good bike to start out on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2010 Raider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM

Springfield, Missouri? Last week? You might be looking for Miescha. Did the bike have...nymphs on it?

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:07 PM

Welcome aboard You can't go wrong with a Yamaha, oops! I mean a Star

I know a couple of ladies that ride the 650's and they say it is plenty big enough for them, of course they both stand about 5' 2" and 80lbs soaking wet

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Welcome to the forum from a southern neighbor!

2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Corsair & Sparkn: It was in Springfield, MO last week! Not sure if they are nymphs (woodland or otherwise), I called them fairies or pixies. I tried to get a pic, but he either didn't care much for me (which is unusual if I do say so myself :-) or he was in one heck of a hurry (which did seem to be the case). He was super cool and nice and seemed genuinely happy to talk all day about bikes, just in a rush. I will have to look up the 'Miescha' you mention. Any chance he is from Springfield, MO? I've been driving by that same gas station for the past week!

b00p: I've ridden a few HD 1200 sportster bikes. They didn't seem too big (though I didn't care for them for other reasons). I found the Star line recently and really like the lines and looks (and this was really confirmed when I saw the purple star bike last week which I believe was an 1100). I'm not opposed to a larger bike, I just figured I would start on something smaller until I felt super confident. The bikes at the MSF course were 250cc and they felt really small and nimble (too small even for my small size). My plan (as much as I have one right now) was to start with a used 650-ish bike and ride this summer with the expectation of moving to something larger by next year if not sooner. Of course, if I found the right bike, I'd be more than willing to start a bit bigger right now (any chance this Miescha guy is in the market to sell???).
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. purple V Star bike near Springfield, MO with fairies on it? that could be ANYONE!!
good money is on Miescha. he should be along here shortly.

the 650 is a great entry bike to the V Star line. i think you're smart to want to start on this and get some experience before moving up to something bigger, but if you feel confident enough you can handle a bigger bike right away, then go for it. if you haven't already, go to a dealership and sit on some bikes and see which feels more comfortable and fits you best. move it side to side and get a feel for the weight.

and ask us lots of questions!

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 PM

Hello.;-) new to the forum myself . I just upgraded a 200 650classic to a 950 now with windshield,seat,sissy bar & bags. loved both of them the 650 is a nice bike for cruises around 60mph all day. I bought mine for short day trips with the wife & comutes. I hated the stk seat & found a mustang wide tour cheap ($300) & loved it (so did the wife). The only reason I traded up was the 650 is past its tourque peak @65 & starts to loose mpg. plus me & the wife tip the scale @ 400lbs. If I could add a gear of 20% to the finnal drive I'd still have it. has plenty of TQ just needs another gear after 65. sorry for being long winded :-D
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Bevo. I see that you are a 'super moderator' so perhaps you can tell me how to find this elusive "Miescha" as I seem to be finding a lot of thread posts but no pics that can help me identify his bike.

As for the recommendations for me, I have been leaning toward the Star bikes for a while. I've sat on the 1300 and it seemed too big for my frame (I'm 5'3" and 105lbs). I also sat on a 950 that looked very sexy, but it also seemed big (it was setup for 'touring' according to the dealer and that may have caused it to feel heavier).

I have not seen an 1100 until I saw the purple bike last week. I'm sure the paint and artwork had a lot to do with it, but that bike looked *really* curvy and sexy. When the owner let me sit on it I thought it seemed really low (I could flat-foot very easily) and it seemed very light and balanced. And when he fired it up and shot out of the gas station while I was back at my car getting my phone for a pic, it sounded GREAT and must be fairly powerful b/c he was down the road and had it open wide on the on-ramp before I even had my camera open :-(.

Based on what I've seen locally and on line, I've planned to spend about $4000 now for a used bike and then spend that much again, plus whatever I get from selling the first bike, to buy a larger bike late this summer or over the winter. I certainly wouldn't mind saving a bit of money by just skipping the smaller bike, but only if I felt really comfortable on the bigger bike from the outset.

Any other Star bikes I should be looking at right now? The purple bike rider mentioned a new mid size bike, but I was so enamored with his bike that I've forgotten the name (not sure I ever heard it to be honest).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode