New Owner/Rider in Austin, TX! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

New Owner/Rider in Austin, TX!

So this past Sunday I traded in my Honda 250 learner that I've been riding the last few months for an '04 1100 Classic... SO MUCH BETTER! Even though I loved the 70mpg I was getting on the Honda as a commuter, I figured out that I really wanted to get out on the roads here in the hill country for some longer trips. The 250 just didn't cut it, engine-wise and the fact that my 6'2" 240lb. butt just didn't like that seat for more than 30 minutes at a time. So as soon as I bought the bike I took it out for a 150 mile "become one with the new bike" ride and I love it! There's a few little things here and there that need to be done to get her back to 100%, but I'm sure I'll be able to get all that figured out around here. Anyway, good to be here and hopefully I'll be around for awhile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Welcome Big K!

Great intro post - with pics and all I'd say you're the top contender for the weekly prize drawing!

That's. a very nice color 1100. I see you also have a windshield and passing lamps, along with luggage rack and engine bar - heck of a nice start mod-wise.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

once you get some experience under you, you should take that thing out on Lime Creek road. i've got over 30K miles under me and that road is still very challenging, but one of the most fun roads in Austin on a bike.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Census taken and vote has been placed! I love my bike but she doesn't belong up there with those beauties. Not yet, at least!
I know Lime Creek very well... I love that area! But yeah, not quite comfortable enough on the 1100 to make it out there, yet.
Hey bevo, you got a local mechanic you recommend? I currently use Napalm, and they've been pretty fair with me so far, just wondering what else is out there...

And thanks for the welcome, Meischa! Good luck on the BOTM contest!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM

Welcome to the 4m Texas! Great group of peeps. Nice upgrade!! Now keep the shiny side up my friend.

Annie
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Welcome. Great looking ride you got there. I'm sure you will love it but I may be a little bit biased. Looks just like mine but for the color and intake.

Sonysnek
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Welcome to the forum.. I really hope you can find the answers to all your questions here.

I'm really jealous about your riding season.. I wish Could ride 11 months a year..

This road bevo talks about makes me want to ride down and try it out

2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight.

Give blood Play Hockey
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

I don't blame you, kayak! I've done Michigan just in the fall and I couldn't imagine riding a bike even then! Just remember, though, our summers get REALLY FREAKIN' HOT! My plan is to use her as a daily driver as I don't really have much traffic, but I've still never ridden in 100+ weather, so that may change and my trucks AC may win me over. As for the road, it is pretty awesome. I used to run it in my turbo'd Celica when I was a kid... I seem to have lost that need for speed, though. Now I just enjoy the view!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:45 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum eh. I'm just a bit north of you and really liked Texas when I was there few yeas ago . You'll get to love that 1100 more and more and the smile will be hard to remove.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

i haven't tried Napalm. i've had work done on my bike at Woods Fun Center, Southern Metal Choppers, and Zabor's Motorcycle Repair. i've had various disappointing issues with all 3, though i would definitely recommend SMC or Zabor's over the dealership. main problem i've had with SMC and Zabor's is they never call me when they're finished and have terrible time management skills. but they both do good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykayak75 View Post
I'm really jealous about your riding season.. I wish Could ride 11 months a year..
yeah........uh, it's actually 12 months. i do take a day off from riding when the roads are iced over or if the temp drops to freezing.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode