Newbie.. "Potential" Star owner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Newbie.. "Potential" Star owner

Greetings,
I'm in between bikes, after owning two H-D's.. I'm a regular on hdforums for some years now. Previous bikes were a '90 Heritage and '04 Fatboy. Loved both.. Granted both were extremely similar, or rather essentially the same.. FL softails.

I've been intrigued by the Star bikes after researching and reading up about the engines.. Very similar single-pin crank pushrod style with "that" cadence and sound, granted there's much difference in the overall drivetrain, but essentially a belt final traditional V-twin.

Took a demo ride not long ago late spring I guess on a Roadliner.. Had to know what she was all about. If I were buying that day, I'd have one in the garage now. Was completely absolutely sold on the bike. Torque for days, handled nice, especially for a loooooong bike.. Felt much like a stock fatboy, maybe a bit higher in the seat, which I'd definitely have to fix. My preferred posture is low with medium apes, about like a lowered Heritage with stock bars which is how I had the fatboy also setup.

Anyway, I'm here to learn and hopefully share who knows what info I can and get some insight into the models of Star's I'd be interested in, 1900's and R*'s as I've seen them referred to in here.

First question.. Anyone know if they're going to do a refresh on the roadstars anytime soon? Aluminum frame or other body-work changes etc like in the Raider/Roadliner/Strat line-up?

Love the concept of the Roadstar as is, but just have trouble looking at them.. Especially the tank profile. I do drool a bit at what some guys have done with R*'s on Bad Dad's site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

My last bike:

First bike:

Next bike:
? .....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Decisions

Babs,

If you do decide to buy a Star bike welcome. Well welcome anyway. Two good looking bikes there.

I have a 06 Stratoliner, a Liner with bags and a windshield. Have 43,000 miles on it and it has been very good to me. No repairs, other than normal stuff. I have traveled some, try to get in one long trip a year. At first there was not much custom stuff for the bike and even tires were at a premium. There is getting to be enough of them around now that tires have come down and more custom stuff is available. Patric Racing even has the equivalant of a stage three rebuild. Making it 120 Cubic inch. Better have lots of money. Stock is 103 HP and 124 Ft Lbs at the crank, 86 and just over a hundred at the wheel.

The aluminum frame helps keep the wieght low and seem strong enough to have good handling. Exhaust is a much deeper tone than Harley and many others. My exhaust is still stock.

I have only riden a Road Star once. I liked it and would have probably bought one but the Liner was on sale when I went I to get one.

Road Star is I understand the most customized Star bike. They seem to be the loudest also. You won't go wrong either way, but some of your Harley buddys may disown you.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.
You bring up a lot of things about these bikes.

Tire Availability:
I read about the not-so-common tire size and choice limitations. Hopefully as you say is not so much an issue now that there's more on the road. Anyone ever find white-walls?

Already pulls like a Freight-train:
With 107 or so I think I read lb-ft at the wheel, I'd be thrilled I bet with a stage 1, just intake, D&D or Roadhouse slip-on's (I been readin' up, hehe) and a PC with a good tune. From all the youtube's I've scanned, I'd say these Yamaha's have THE sound pretty much nailed. I was even slightly impressed with the stock exhaust once you give it the gas. The simple slip-on route with a modest intake upgrade and good tune at least with a standard map I bet would be awesome.

Being that I was thrilled with my old 80" Evo Heritage with some modest cam/head/piston work, I'd probably be ecstatic just with the RL as is with all that pull. First cruiser I've ridden that made me literally hang on tight when I got on the throttle. Even a friends VN2000 I'd bet this bike would hang with easily, given the weight and chassis differences.

Low-center of gravity and good balance:
Absolutely the first thing I noticed when I sat on one, how easy she came off the kick-stand. Almost "agile" for such a long bike.

Pricing and Roadstars:
Given the differences in price, I'd definitely spring for a little bit more and step up I think.. Although I've been told I'd like the geometry/seat ergonomics of the R* probably more so, coming from a lowered fatboy. Haven't had the chance to sit on one to determine for myself. I certainly dig the looks of the RL much much more though. A super deal on a Roadstar with a game plan for a nice custom-job could sway me though.

Ergonomics vs R*'s and what might be possible:
That "ape star" project in motorcyclecruiser last month or so. That would be my ideal R*. Thought they did an awesome job on that bike. Tasteful but with the right functional rider-position mods.. Basically gave it an aped-bobber look. Given my 6'1" 255lb (weight-lifter), 32" inseam build, I bet I'd love the low-seat and apes.

I would actually try that on a Roadliner if it's possible, granted the stock seat looks like it's already a pretty low profile. A rear-end lowering kit, then with the looks of the RL, possibly spring for Carlini's (I think the look on a RL would justify the cost of the swept-curved bars). Hopefully I'll get to see some great pics from you guys in here as to what you've been able to accomplish to your RL's and Strats. The Raider sits nice to me but I'd like the "fatter" cruiser feel and looks of the RL line better I think.

Thanks again for the welcome. Glad to be here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode