New forum member - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

New forum member

Hello, just joined the forum here. I'm really interested in making the move from Harley to a Yamaha. The Raider has caught my eye and I have been doing research on it. I've found that not only is it loads more stylish and powerful, but much more dependable, affordable, and above all unique than what I'm used to.
I was hoping some folks here would chime in and maybe let me know what to expect from the Yamaha bikes. They really catch my eye every time I see one on the road and the Raider is just beyond my expectations of what I'm hoping to get this next time around.
I currently have a Harley Shovel in my garage that I spent this whole last winter painting, etc only to have put it back together to find it wont run right. I am so sick of werenching and just want to be in the wind.....tired after many years of let-downs and ready for a dependable machine.
Anyhow, it's nice to be here, and look forward to any and all input.
Regards,
Gino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Gino. You came to the best place to get your questions answered. But, after reading your post I think that you have answered all of the important questions . So if you have more questions feel free to ask away.

In the mean time, tell us a bit more about yourself, where you're from, ride and CC info.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Welcome G-man!

Indeed you already seem to know all the answers. But in fairness, any modern bike should give you less trouble than an older Harley Shovelhead.

Even so, I clearly have a preference for the Star bikes and I'm sure you will enjoy the ride!

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. I have been riding for quite a few years....nine Harley's later and I need a switch. I am an auto/cycle painter by trade and have built/rebuilt many twins including a rigid stroked chop. I'm in my 40 now and tired of wrenching in the garage while everyone is out riding (during the three or four decent months the $hitty northeast allows.
Can't wait to sell the heap in my garage and actually get two wheels that doesn't rattle itself to death.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. the raider is awesome. you won't find as many after market parts/accessories for it as you would a harley, and the stock exhaust note might be a little lacking, but it does have a lot of advantages that you've already listed.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the exhaust is my main concern right now, however I understand cobra and a couple other companies make a nice system that sound pretty vicious. I figure if Harley sounds pretty mean with their 1450 and bigger engines the 1900 Raider has the potential to sound absolutely sick! As far as accessories, I usually lay a killer paint job and tool my own solo seats.......very stoked about it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM

If your used to older Harley's that 1900 motor is gonna blow you away. I smile every time I twist the throttle on my roadliner. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay.
I have a friend who is in love with the raider. I'm trying to convince home that he needs it :-). Who cares if he just got his first bike ever 3 weeks ago...

2006 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight.

Give blood Play Hockey
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all. Still hoping my Shovelhead sells soon so I can make my move on a Raider. So pumped.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

just tell me your screen name comes from Die Hard With A Vengeance so i can get on with my life

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode