Newbie and potential V-Star 1300LT owner... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Newbie and potential V-Star 1300LT owner...

I'm south of Sarasota, right on the gulf coast - my wife "opened the door" 3 weeks ago when she said..."how 'cum you never talk about motorcycles?"

So...here I am, scrambling to figure out WHICH of 2 great bikes will soon find a "safe harbor" in the garage, and freequent short/mid length cruises around central FLA...??? HELP!

Am 61...haven't riddin since 1990 (Honda 750, preceeded by a Triumph Bonneville)

Want a "2 up" capability, but still reasonable handling around town...

Looking at the V-Star 1300LT and the 1700 Vulcan Nomad...

You input and thoughts are appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Hard choices

Will,

Tough choice, you will not go wrong with either or those two bikes. I don't have a 1300 I have a Liner next step up in engine. They are well designed, reliable, well balanced bikes that handle well. You will have no trouble riding two up.

But you could say the same about the Nomad. I hear good things about both bikes. I guess you should by the one you like best.

Dave

Last edited by linerdave; 07-25-2010 at 09:20 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

OUT with the Nomad! HOORAY!!!

Well...now it's a 2009 Road Star Silverado....or

a 2009 Stratoliner

Buying this weekend...crunching information, stats, reviews....

Only 1 question I can't get an answer to...is the Road Star Silverado a "counter-balanced" engine...? - I'm just not big on vibration, especially at 60-75 mph highway speed.

Most of my riding will be 1 up, around the city and between towns along the coast, with occasional 2 up touring the smaller byways...

your thoughts are appreciated -

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 PM

2009 Road Star owner

I can't speak to the counter balance issue but my recently purchased Road Star is quiet on the highway with little to no vibration. Despite its size this bike is a pleasure to ride around town and its slow speed handling is great. I started riding again this past May after several decades away and feel very good about my decision.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Vibration

Will,

I don't believe the Road star has the double counterbalancing but its not like you feel a bunch of vibration as you ride. I took a demo ride on a Road star a few years back. I liked it, was going to buy one but they put the Liner on sale before I moved.

My V star didn't start to vibrate untill above 75 MPH. The Roadstar should go a little more. To tell you the truth when I get to those speeds I don't notice. Much of what people blame on vibration is actually things like posture and conditioning. Leaning forward for a long time.

My opinion the Liner is a little smoother and has a little more power. The Roadstar is Yamaha's most customized bike. Has more of that traditional V twin look. You won't go wrong either way.

Wonder if your dealer will let you ride one to help you decide? My dealer has a demo Liner. Might have a used Road *.

You might want to look at the specs and features at Star's site.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...1/0/specs.aspx

Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

I did the Stratoliner

Saves me a BOAT-load on trying to accessorize...and has the cu.in.
to roll along at a decent mpg...

The mettalic blue is crazy lokkin' in the sun

Now to find an adequate cover for the garage...a back-of-the-bjke luggage rack...and a reasonable looking pair of engine guards (Cobra's?)

....yeah, baby...20 years and it's back like iot never left
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Congratulations

Will,

Glad to hear you got a bike and glad you got a liner. I love mine. Of course most of us seem to like what we have. Lots of nice bikes out there. But the Liners have power to spare and good handling. There are more accessories now than when I bought mine. Take your time and see what you want as you go. I put lowers, luggage rack, passing lamps, Passenger floor boards, Yamaha's crash bar, and a Mustang seat. Some go with pipes, air box, and fuel controller. Depends what is for you.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode