Rescued Strat Rider - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Rescued Strat Rider

Hi everyone.

This is my first visit to the forum, but not the first time I've been on the forum . . . confusing I'm sure.

I'm the Stranded (now rescued) Strat Rider that Miescha so generously rescued over a week ago. Sorry for the overdue posting (I promised Miesch I'd do it sooner rather than later). I'm not much of a forums person, but he assured me this group might change that.

I planned to provide the many details of my rescue, but I see Miesch has already done that (btw, thanks for the vote of confidence DCrider . . . smokin hottie ).

I called Miesch yesterday and he thought you all might enjoy the info I shared with him. After the ordeal (fun as it really was), I was nervous and so took my Strat in for a good look-over at my dealer. All was well (in fact, perfect they said). I shared with them what occurre on my trip and, among the many responses, they informed me that the rear belt replacement would be billed out for 2 hours, probably 2.5 given the belt broke and seemed jammed in the front drive gear. The cylinder gasket replacement would have been billed out at 5-8 hours. Parts for both jobs were quoted higher than we (OK, mostly Miesch) found in Branson. Shop rate is $95/hr so it looks like I would have been looking at $1k just in labor that Miesch handled (he did a bunch of other stuff too that I forgot to mention to the dealer, so likely another couple hundred in addition).

You already have all the other details, though I'm happy to answer any questions that come up.

I've been riding about 15 years, all street bikes and mostly cruisers. The Strat is my favorite by far! Never married and no kids, so at 41, I have plenty of time to ride.

I don't have many pics of my bike, but Miesch said it was absolutely imperative that I include at least one, so here is the only one I could find quickly.

Very nice to meet you all, and my very sincere public thanks to Miescha - one of the greatest people I've ever met (regardless of the bike knowledge)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Welcome to the forum.
We need a better quality pic of the bike please.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat Damsel View Post
I don't have many pics of my bike, but Miesch said it was absolutely imperative that I include at least one, so here is the only one I could find quickly.
Good man that Miescha. Never leaves out the important stuff.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Damsel Hottie. That Miescha is one of the great ones for sure. Not everyone would stop to see if a fellow rider is in need of help; but he does . I really like your paint job. The fairing must stand out big time with the flames. I really hope that you decide to join us and post often, share stories, post pics and tell us whats your favorite ice cream flavor .

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. feel free to vote for bike of the month and submit your own for voting

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...isplay.php?f=7

and please take our census

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5655

i'm sure Miesch will give you a discount on that $1K tab.
$95/hr is the highest labor rate i've ever heard of for a bike dealership. that's absurd. for future work on your bike, i would advise you to look around for a local bike shop that can do all the same work as the stealership for a much better rate.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Aide: I'll have to work on the pics. I'm not too into tech in my personal life (according to Miesch my phone not only ISN'T a smart phone, but barely qualifies as a phone at all). Of course, had my phone been better, I likely would have got a signal and a tow truck long before Miesch arrived - so I guess that worked in my favor. . .

Sparkn: Yeah, he was very, VERY clear about the need for a pic . . . made me wonder if I was being setup for something (though that doesn't seem to be his style).

Corsair: Yeah, Miesch is great for sure. But I have to say, I was on the side of the road for at least 30 minutes before he showed up and not one single person stopped. I get that with cagers, but several bikes blew past and I never heard one decel shift note. Really disappointing. It was hotter than heck, so I stripped out of my leather jacket and helmet pretty quick . . . so apparently the 'hottie' factor didn't help. When Miesch pulled over, I was bent down looking at the rear wheel with my back to the road, so he didn't benefit from any possible 'hottie' excuse to stop. And I gotta say, I was a bit nervous when I saw him step off that bike - he's HUGE! But as soon as the helmet came off, his huge smile instantly relaxed me . . . and that nice guy initial impression proved to be spot-on. As for the paint, I can't claim any ownership there . . . that's how I got it, but I really like it! The one pic I posted is from the on-line ad when I bought the bike a year ago.

Favorite ice-cream . . . anything offered by a guy on a bike

Bevo: Miesch told me the same on the phone yesterday, so I'll be looking for an independent shop in the future. Either that, or I'll be cruising to STL to visit Miesch . . . I've rode further for lesser rewards Joking aside, I was really surprised when the dealership gave me the prices for the work Miesch did - even more surprised by the time estimates b/c I'm pretty sure Miesch was as quick or faster (we had a lot of interruptions and even when working I was distracting him a lot - though I'm sure he would never admit it).

When I'm not working, I'm usually riding . . . but I'll give this forum thing a try. Especially when the weather sucks like it does currently. Very nice to meet you all - Miesch was clearly correct about this being the best group of riders (and people generally) I could find. Thanks for the warm welcome!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 PM

I'm gong to start to blush if I get any more compliments (damn I have EVERYONE fooled )

Yeah Damsel, that phone looked like the one I had back in 1987! I didn't want to make you feel too badly, but I'm pretty sure any free phone on craigslist would get you a better signal (though, as you noted, you might have missed me this time around).

And glad to hear you were listening about that pic - I have a reputation to maintain as a preeminent pic-whore

In all the time we spent together wrenching, you never mentioned that you were on the side of the road that long before I stopped - that is really appalling that other bikers shot past you (and thanks for supporting my contention that I didn't know you were a female or a 'hottie' when I stopped - I'll send that $20 right away ). As for the HUGE comment . . . I know I've put on a little weight over the years, but I think my 6'3" frame carries it well - give a guy a break!

The pic actually doesn't look like your bike as I recall it. To be clear, it is definitely your bike, but the colors don't come through as well - looks too much like orange. Also, I notice you've changed the seat (I was eyeing that ultimate seat you have now). I can't tell if the bags are on in that pic, but I know that passenger peg wasn't there . . . so I guess you've decided against ever having a passenger.

Bevo - what do you think you're doing offering to knock down my $1k fee????
My advice is that the dealer rates are too high, but $95 is the rate at the dealers near me, and $75/hr at the independent shop I like. But I do most of my own stuff, I just notice the price when I stop in to window shop and chat. What are the rates in your area?

Back to Damsel, I hope you come to like the forum, you can really learn a lot. If nothing else, Corsair gives away weekly prizes and an annual paid vacation to his royal estate in Banf for an entire month. I'll put in a good word for you . . . .

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miescha View Post
I'm gong to start to blush if I get any more compliments (damn I have EVERYONE fooled )

i think the dealer charges about $80/hr and a local shop charges about $60/hr

on a steel horse I ride

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miescha View Post

i think my dealer charges about $80/hr and a local shop charges about $60/hr

on a steel horse I ride

Last edited by bevo1981; 06-24-2013 at 11:47 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM

One of the sales people at Star City Power Sports in Lincoln, NE told me their shop rate is $125/hour. He also said they charge $100 per carburetor for cleaning, plus any needed parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode