Long time lurker taking voice. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Long time lurker taking voice.

Greetings to one and all,
I'm a renounced harley rider after having tired of the moco's prices and severe dissatisfaction with the way I've been treated at three dealerships. I'm studying up on star and the vulcans simply because they seem to have a good price point and these bikes seem to have much better quality. My wife and I ride together whenever we can and with living here in texas, the speed limits here are right around the 70+ mph zone.

We're trying to find what would be a good bike for us, Initially I was wanting the royal star tour deluxe until I found out that only the venture royale is still being made in royal star trim. By and large, I think that a silverado trim liter plus class would do the job for us, but there's always the question of whether or not anything short of a roadstar would work for us at the speeds we're riding at. Passenger comfort is a must since if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to doing my research and hopefully making some riends in the austin area. Thanks very much for your consideration and advice. I'll try to post in more detail later on in the appropriate thread. Take care and thanks much for your time and patience while I learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 PM

As much as I love the 1100, I truly think the Roadstar or the Strat is going to be your answer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 AM

Yes stay away from the 1100 if you do a lot of 2 up riding. Nothing against the 1100 but its just not in the same league as the bigger/larger rides. My dad has a 900 Vulcan and I love the comfort of it and ease of riding it ,but it also is too light and small for 2 up riding. Best wishes on your purchase..Sounds like fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I have to agree with the others. The 1100 altough a great bike might be a bit on the shy side for lots of 2 up riding. Your best bets would be the Roaddstar, Roadliner and or the Stratoliner. All of them very nice machines with lots of power.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Star View Post
As much as I love the 1100, I truly think the Roadstar or the Strat is going to be your answer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I love my Strat and we ride 2 up a lot but, in an effort to be as informative as possible, I think the suspension is poor, front and rear. I would LOVE to have air in the back and intend on getting emulators up front some day.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. i'm also in Austin so i'm guessing you've been to Central Texas Harley and Cowboy Harley. i'm interested to know how they specifically mistreated you.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:38 AM

I found a way to make the 950 Star seem big enough for 2 up....I started on the 650 Star. When I upgraded I was delighted with the increased power (still am). More than the power, I was really impressed with how well I could place it exactly where I wanted it in corners! I immediately bought a Mustang pillion pad for the back so that the missus is comfortable, she loves the new bike! Before the upgrade I'd have to stop every 45 minutes for her to stretch the legs, now we can ride for twice that time and she's still feeling good, just a little more leg room makes a big difference.
As far as high speed riding, the Star 950 is very well geared for high speed, on the 650 I was always looking for another gear, but on the 950 I'm often riding with a gear to spare!

Cruza
2008 Star 950
Mustang rider seat (Vintage Wide)
Mustang pillion pad (Vintage Wide) with wide back rest
Mini Cobra sissy bar (square)
Custom brushed stainless sissy-bar brackets to move sissy bar further back and match Mustang pillion seat.
Cobra luggage rack
Previous:
2007 Star 650 Classic, Candy Apple Red
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-2zeY-ueE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode