Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Non-Biker . . . for now

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Krazykayak75 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I work with Miescha (he's my boss :). I've been pestering him all summer to let me ride his bike (I actually only wanted him to give me a ride, but he keeps pointing out the solo seat, so . . . . ).

I signed up for the MSF course, but I couldn't get a spot until the begining of August (yikes) . . . so it may be a while.

I don't have a bike (yet) but Miescha has been suggesting several and recently suggested I join up here (I think I got tired of my pestering:) )

So . . . I've ridden before but only dirt bikes (mostly 250cc but I have ridden my dad's 750cc a fair amount - but offroad only). I'm 5'5" 115lbs so I can handle the lighter dirt bikes just fine, but I'm not as certain about a cruiser. I've sat on Miescha's 1100 plenty and rolled it around a bit - it seems manageable and I'm sure it is balanced well so it will be even easier once moving. I'm leaning toward the 950-1300cc bikes, and have really liked a lot of the Yamaha bikes Miescha has shown me on this site.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Christine. You shouldn't have any probs with the power range you're looking at. We have lots of female riders on this forum and they mostly all ride in that same power range some even bigger :). So tell us more about .... your boss. Well ok how about which bike your looking at and don't be shy to ask questions on them.

Enjoy the course, ride safe and keep it shiny side up

#3 ·
Ha!

I also work with Miescha and Christine . . . and we all talk about that dang bike all day long (and our desire to ride in general)! What Christine didn't mention is that Miescha offered this coming Friday off with pay to any of us that actually signed up for the MSF course AND found this site and joined (I've seen it lots of times but always when Miescha was showing us . . . so didn't actually know the name of the site). I'm signed up with Christine in August (and now I found the site) but I've never ridden a motorcycle before. I've always had a desire, but never was motivated enough until Miescha started riding that dang purple fairy bike (errrr.....sorry....blue woodland nymph bike :) all the time!

I guess I have plenty of time while I wait for the MSF course, but I suspect I'll lean toward the smaller size bikes until I have a solid comfort riding. I'm another female (future) rider of Christine's same height and weight, but lacking in the experience and comfort level needed to confidently handle the bigger bikes at the outset.

As for Miescha . . . . he also signs my check :) So I think he is the most intelligent, handsome, funny, likable guy around and very generous with the bonus, raises, and vacation time! :D:D:D

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure third prize is 'your fired' so . . . here I am Miescha!

Yeah, I'm Carlyn and I work for Miescha also, but I"m pretty sure I'll be the last as none of the other girls have enough interest to actually sign up for the MSF course - but I'm also on the list for the August date!

I used to ride a fair amount (BMW K series and a short stint with a Yamaha FJ1300). But I've been away for a few years and eager to get back on the bike since watching Miescha ride so much!

I'm with all the other girls but at 5'9" and 130lbs I've got a bit more strength to handle the heavier bikes. I've ridden larger bikes, but really liked the 1200-1300 cc bikes in the past. However, I've been shopping a LOT and all the bikes seem really well balanced so I think I could handle just about anything after some appropriate time getting back into the swing of riding and getting my comfort and skill level where it needs to be.

Looking forward to being involved with the forum and, eventually, getting my MSF course and a great scoot before the summer is out!

#8 ·
Welcome ladies! Miescha seems to be bringing in lots of women lately... is there something you aren't telling us Miescha?

Anyway, I am 5' 0.5" and my weight is more than I want it to be but reasonable for my height (or lack thereof) and I have NO problems with my 1100 (unless I need to push it up a hill).

And Christine, Miesha is supposedly pretty close on the Stratoliner being ready so bug him to get a ride on the back of that beauty before he rips the pillion pad off of that bike also!!!:D

#9 ·
It's great to hear of so many women joining the biking family. My wife used to ride before the arthritis in her neck became too bad for her to stand a helmet.

Cruisers make great first bikes as due to their low seat height and centre of gravity they are easy to handle and inspire confidence. I'm 5'10" but have short legs so I am very comfortable on my 950.

What is the MSF course? Is it similar to our CBT (compulsory basic training) which is a one day course for new riders before they go on the road.

#10 ·
What is the MSF course? Is it similar to our CBT (compulsory basic training) which is a one day course for new riders before they go on the road.
MSF= Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It's a nationwide organization that runs classes on how to ride (among other things).

Depending on what state you live in you can do a 3 day BRC (Beginners Riders Course) that will teach a person who has never ridden before how to ride using their bikes (usually 250cc). The course includes classroom so you can pass the written test at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and the last day is a ride test that gives you a waiver (if you pass) to take to the DMV so you don't have to do the obnoxious riding skills test in order to get the motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license.

#11 ·
Easy there Wart . . . I still need them to work the first three days of this week.

M'Lady . . ." Is there something I'm not telling you?" Definitely :D

Regarding the MSF course, here in MO it is usually a two-day beginner course (7am - 5pm Saturday and Sunday) and those who pass the written and riding skills tests get the license endorsement without any additional testing at the DMV.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Well, even though you ladies are with Miescha, I'm gonna welcome you because, hey, you can never have too many ladies here, or too many purple bikes either!

I'm 5'3ish and ummm yeah, way too many pounds overweight to discuss the rest of that. I started on a Ninja 250, then rode a vstar 650 for a season and this year bought a Roadstar 1600. The roadie is a bit big, but I'm loving the power on the highway.

Welcome welcome! Ask away if you have girlie questions...I have girlie answers. Well...sometimes. Lord knows I don't know squat about much else.

#13 ·
Thank you very much for the information M'Lady, it is always good to learn about other countries. Getting a motorcycle licence is so much harder here in England and Europe generally. We have age restrictions, graduated licences, power limits etc. If it keeps on like this I may join you in the USA to get away from overbearing European legislation.

#14 ·
Now wait a second Annie . . . you say that like its a bad thing! :D

Hey Wart - I think you have too much time if you can so quickly find that photo . . . and Jaba is damn near a dead-ringer for me too!

Actually though, we've spent much of the last hour looking at that pic and our consensus is that the blond in the front row is a near twin of Carlyn, while the smallish girl in the back far left is nearly dead on for Christine and just three over to her right is DrD. I'll try to add a pic with some arrows drawn in via paint.

I'll just be happy if any of them get their endorsement and a bike before the end of summer.

#15 ·
Meischa, you know it's going to be your duty to make sure that they get their endorsment and that they stay with us on this forum. This might mean that you'll have to make some sacrifices WRT the nymph machine. They'll all need a base to compare the other machines so I'm sure the nymph machine is the way to go ;).

Girls just make sure he holds up his end of the bargain; Friday off and nymph ride. Heck I'll even go down and offer up my ride for trials :D.

#16 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking I should have added a performance guarantee to the whole Friday paid vacation deal. I think if anyone doesn't complete the course (I don't even care if you pass), then the paid vacation day gets deducted :)

And if Corsair makes the trip down from the far north to share his ride, I'll damn sure allow anyone who passes the course to take out the 'nymph machine' during the same time period.

#20 ·
WOW! You are giving them a paid day off just for doing an MSF course and you all hang out for hours reading this forum instead of working?! If it wasn't for the fact that I would have to move to the middle of nowhere (Missouri ;)) I would apply to work with you Miesch!?!?!

#24 ·
Welcome coworkers and I hope you enjoy your stay. I think you have a great boss. I'm on the other side of the coin I have ridden to work and my boss who has never ridden just picked up a ninja for cheap and now my phone is blowing up with texts about riding together.. It's amazing what a motorcycle can do to make people come together...

Okay here is my job application..

I require AC set to 68
If the phone rings and nobody will answer after 5 rings I might get it.. Or I might just let it go to voicemail.
If someone walks into the office looking for information I will suggest they use the Internet.
If I do take a message chances are you will never see it cause I won't write it down.
I plan to do as little work as possible for as long as you will pay me.
I a hottie as I'm fat,balding,missing a tooth ( damn hockey pucks) and short, I may scare people away when they see me..
I need atleast 22 weeks of vacation a year paid..

If you are interested please send me a pm..

Hahaha..

So when does the ladies of miescha calendar come out ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.