New rider with a first bike V-Star 1100 Custom Midnight. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Smile New rider with a first bike V-Star 1100 Custom Midnight.

Hello all, as the title states, i am new and excited about finally having my first bike. My dad and brother in law gave me the bug so this weekend i went out and bought a 2005 v-star 1100 Custom midnight bike.

Love the bike, and am working on the basic riding skills as this is a much heavier bike than i learned on.

I would love any insight to riding, upkeep of my bike, or info on the best places to order parts.

Thanks all for letting me be part of the group.

Bryan Kean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 PM

Welcome

Bryan,

Good choice, and welcome. As to up keep they are pretty reliable. The owners manual will cover maintenance. Maybe all that is not fully necessary but it is a good guide. Manuals are available on line if you don't have it. I saw some riding training video's on U Tube. I think it is mostly just ride, stay out of cars way and learn as you go. I like to ride in the country. High beam in the daytime, never ride next to a car if you can help it, and watch every car that can pull or turn in front of you. I like to wiggle the headlight if I see a car I'm not sure about. After a short time you will not feel the 1100 is a heavy bike.

Good Luck
Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM

I have an '05 1100 custom, love the bike, good choice. JP Cycles is a good source for accessories and parts, but there are many others. One suggestion I would make is to get the remote oil filter kit as soon as possible. It turns an hour long oil/ filter change job into 15 minutes.

As far as riding....practice, practice, practice....any and all types of roads. One rule I've always used in my riding for 35+ years......ALWAYS expect any other vehicle to do something stupid....because they will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebk View Post
Hello all, as the title states, i am new and excited about finally having my first bike. My dad and brother in law gave me the bug so this weekend i went out and bought a 2005 v-star 1100 Custom midnight bike.

Love the bike, and am working on the basic riding skills as this is a much heavier bike than i learned on.

I would love any insight to riding, upkeep of my bike, or info on the best places to order parts.

Thanks all for letting me be part of the group.

Bryan Kean
It has been 20 yrs since i last rode. I bought a 05 v 1100 Silverado and love it as well. I took a training class thru MSF-Motorcycle Safety Federation. It brings back some of the things i forgot plus i save 10% on my insurance.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Hello Bryan! I'd recommend you take an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. There's a basic beginner's course, and an experienced biker course. The basic course (most places about 20 hours) starts at the ground level (here's the front brake, here's the clutch) but quickly puts you on the bike. By the end of the course you'll be braking quickly in a curve, tight corner manuveuring with clutch friction zone, and swerving to avoid obstacles. The one-day experienced rider course kinda builds on the basic course. You'll learn from motorcyclists who have proven experience teaching others. Some things you can learn by doing, but motorcycling shouldn't be one. Have a Great Ride!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM

"some things you learn by doing, but...........

Welcome to a great forum. I agree with Clif except the only way to learn is to be on your bike and be aware, you do really have to"do", just learn all you can, be very careful on your learning process, and by all means, ride safe and HAVE FUN.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM

Welcome Aboard.
Aside from taking a MSF course and just riding, I would highly recommend investing in the proper riding gear. A good helmet (full face is safer), leather or synthetic riding jacket, kevlar jeans or overpant, boots and gloves. As a paramedic, I can't begin to describe the carnage and waste of life I've witnessed that could have been prevented with proper riding gear. Spend the money and get the good stuff. If you ever go down (and I pray to God you don't) you'll be thankful.
I hope you enjoy your new bike.
Ride safe
Mark

Ride Safe
Mark

1992 Virago 750
2009 vstar 1100 classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode