Another Newb! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Another Newb!

Hey! My name is Wayne Just joined today , Don't have V star yet but wanted to join before i got one ... to get the lows and highs of this wonderous bike! Well here's the layout...I currently own a suzuki bandit 1200 and a guy wants to trade my bike for his 04 V star 1100 with 13k, he has idone something to it such as monkey bars, drag pipes and flat black paint job as far as i can see from the pics... is there anything i should look into before considering the trade? like replacement parts due to mileage, wear and tear, etc etc.

If i do go through with it there will be a lot of things I'm going to change being that i like to make things unique and custom , so i will either sell or give away parts to you guys. so if you could give me advice on what i should look for, check, and various other thing that would be great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM

I don't have expreiance with 1100's, I own a 950.
But with any used bike the things to check are the most obvious,
and probably the most important things. Like ask if he could have
the engine cold when you go to see it, then see how it starts, hear it run, even ask him to ride it up and down the street while you're there,or better yet, let you ride it, make sure no oil leaks or gas leaks, check the oil, see if it's clean, make sure the wheels and tires are true, and in good shape, check the frame and other parts for damage, look for loose wires, make sure all lights and signals work,
and check the brakes. If all that checks out good, then make a deal.
Good luck.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 PM

Welcome Aboard.
You've come to the right spot for advice as there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here from the senior members. (No disrespect to the juniors).
I currently ride an 09, 1100 classic and love it. My only issues so far are the small fuel tank and it could use a sixth gear. Other than that, mods are only limited by your imagination (and wallet).
As far as your trade goes, make sure that the mods that have been done were for personal gains and not to cover up damage from laying it down (personal experience).
Good luck and ride safe
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode