Knees Killing Me - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Knees Killing Me

Closed the deal today on a 2007 Stratoliner S. My beloved 1500SE Goldwing will once again change hands as I go back to a V-Twin. Loved the Wing, just couldn't get my knees to love it

At any rate, after 45 years on two wheels (no, not wheelchairs) here I am.

Hope to learn from the Yamaha pro's here. Kind of full circle for me as my first "big" bike was a 1970 Yamaha 125cc (brand new, too...)

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Closed the deal today on a 2007 Stratoliner S. My beloved 1500SE Goldwing will once again change hands as I go back to a V-Twin. Loved the Wing, just couldn't get my knees to love it

At any rate, after 45 years on two wheels (no, not wheelchairs) here I am.

Hope to learn from the Yamaha pro's here. Kind of full circle for me as my first "big" bike was a 1970 Yamaha 125cc (brand new, too...)

Regards
The Strato-S tips the scales at just over 800 pounds - you figure this is better for your knees?
I have a torn meniscus in my left knee and backing the strat slightly uphill into a parking spot reminds me how old I'm getting

Oh and BTW - welcome to the forum - new here myself

Last edited by stratowart; 09-01-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added welcome
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
The Strato-S tips the scales at just over 800 pounds - you figure this is better for your knees?
I have a torn meniscus in my left knee and backing the strat slightly uphill into a parking spot reminds me how old I'm getting
Actually, yes. The riding position is much better for me, the seat is lower, the controls are forward. The Wing sits higher, legs forced further apart with the flat 6 powerplant, pegs are directly under the rider and even my highway boards didn't help because they couldn't be mounted far enough forward due to the engine and fairing. It's generally agreed that Wings are difficult for taller riders, and my 1500 was much more spacious than the newer 1800's.

So where in Maine are you? Spent a lot of time in Brunswick in the Navy, and owned a home near Sebago many years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

funny - I'm between Sebago and Brunswick - small town on the outskirts of Oxford. (so closer to Sebago)
Where the hell is hither and yon located - you could be just up the road or a million miles away? let guess your answer - "yes"

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
funny - I'm between Sebago and Brunswick - small town on the outskirts of Oxford. (so closer to Sebago)
Where the hell is hither and yon located - you could be just up the road or a million miles away? let guess your answer - "yes"
Naw, I'm not that kind of person. After homes in ME, WA, MT, MI (U.P) NW Iowa is where we finally settled to spend our dotage. We're about 50 miles equidistant from SD and NE.

We had two Maine homes, one on Kettle Cove, Casco (Sebago) and on Pettengill Pond near what used to be N. Windham (behind the Red Sands restaurant where I proposed to my Maine bride) which I guess is now just called Windham. Used to be out in the country from Portland, now it's a strip city all the way from Fryeburg to Portland. Probably all the way from N. Conway to Portland...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

Yep - you do get around.
I just drove thru NW Iowa last Saturday. With my son, we drove his 94 Ford Tempo out to the Univ of So. Dakota. 26 hour drive straight thru. I flew home Sunday

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

Oh and BTW - welcome to the forum - new here myself

...and thanks for the welcome. Attendance seems sparse by comparison to the Wing Forum

I just wanted to convince myself I wasn't hallucinating when I took the Strato for a test run yesterday, and sure enough:

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yam...ner_s_2007.php

The Strato S comes in about 100lb lighter than the GL1500. Sure felt lighter. Spent most of the test drive running around town in stop & go to get the maneuvering feel and how fast it touched down at full stops (my right knee has a torn meniscus) And I was concerned about its db level, even though it has stock exhaust it seemed incredibly loud to me after all the miles on the Wing. Finally had the dealership owner run it up and down the street so I could listen to it as a bystander, and it seemed very civilized. Believe it or not, that was the tie-breaker. Up until I heard it being driven by someone else, I figured I'd stay with the Wing and keep looking.

Was very close to pulling the trigger on a new Kawasaki 1700 Voyager, but it takes a steam crane to get that damn thing upright off the kickstand. Boy are those things top heavy (886lb)! Sure like the look of them, though.

The Strato S seemed like a featherweight by comparison to either the Wing or the Voyager; much better balanced. We'll see, Ayuh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode