Newbie from New Jersey - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Newbie from New Jersey

Greetings Everyone.

My name is Rick and I'm from Atlantic County, New Jersey. I'm new to this forum, obviously, and kind of new to motorcycling. This past season was my first year and I did it on a Kawasaki ER-6n. I'm looking to get into more bike for next season.

Within five months, I racked up 9,500mi on my 649cc naked bike. I quickly learned that a cramped rider triangle—at least in the knees—wasn't conducive to being a mileage monster. This time, I want something more appropriate for it.

I am looking a pre-owned V Star 1300. I've read reviews, trolled forums and bounced between dealers until I was blue in the face and I know this is the only cruiser I want. I was very close to buying one for only $5,300 (before tax) for an '07 Touring model with Cobra pipes but alas, I decided to wait a few more months.

Even though I'm certain the V Star 1300 is the only cruiser I want, I am contemplating several sport tourers: Yamaha FJR1300, Honda ST1300, BMW F 800 ST and a Triumph Sprint ST. These bikes however would all have to be older and with about 40,000mi on it for it to be in my price range however.

Although I have many questions, I'll hold off until I've had able time to search the forum. Besides, the Intro sections probably isn't the most apt place for my inquiries anyhow.

Well, I'm looking forward to fraternizing with you folks and thanks for having me on the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM

Cruiser or Touring?

Rick,

You won't see much here about Sport touring bikes but lots about cruisers. The 1300 would be a lot more bike than your 650, not sure if that was a cruiser or a sport bike.

You may find to make any cruiser a long hall bike you may want to change your posture. With risers or handle bars. But, I have made many long trips on a couple cruisers. I think seats are overrated but many change to a better seat.

The cruiser has a low RPM engine the power is low in the range. The sport touring bikes have more horsepower that comes on later. You sit up more on the sport touring bike. Probably the Sport touring is more for highway miles.

Most of my riding is on 55 MPH roads so the cruiser is for me. But it depends on what you expect from a bike. I have also logged a lot of highway miles. No trouble keeping up with traffic.

The 1300 would make you a nice bike for all around riding. You need to look around. I should say I do not have a 1300, I have a Liner.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode