New to the forum and have a little problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

New to the forum and have a little problem

Hello to all the forum members from a lunatic from the UK .

I have a slight problem with a 98 XVS 650 Dragstar ( V star) that I have permanently borrowed off my dad.

My father purchased the bike new in 98 for himself and my mother to go out on. He rode it for 2-3 years until she decided life was passing her by and wanted a divorce. Took the wind out my fathers sails and the bike was stuffed in the back of the garage with just 4,000 miles on the clock. In the time he rode it, He had a a prototype set of exhaust fitted from custom cruisers UK which at the time were called " big muthas" (which he ran for 2 years) and a three piece rear wheel with a Performance machine brake rotor and caliper. He never got to ride the bike with this wheel as the bloody idiot who made it, made a right cock-up of the bearing spacing etc. Bike stuffed into corner and LEFT. Didn't want to sell it and didn't want finish it.

Anyway, I have been off work (started in mechanical engineering and then Power take off design and install) due to a traffic accident on my way to work (on a different bike) for the past 8 years. Basicly buggered up my hands and wrist. I have been awaiting for the right time to go for my FULL entitlement to ride a bike here in the uk. I decided last year it was Now or never so I got some training done and took and past my tests. I got my hands on a cheap yamaha xj600 and rode it for 3 months after passing my test until it decided to blow a piston and lose compression. BUGGER. So I plucked up the courage and asked my dad if I could have his old bike. My amazement he said "get it on the lift and get it done.

Put it on the lift, spark plugs out, put some oil down the barrels, got the rear wheel out and sorted out the wheel. Fresh battery, Fresh fuel and fired her up. checked everything out and took her out.

Rode her for 6 months and had no problems until last week when the alternator regulator bracket fractured. I took it off, and re-routed/extended the cabling and put it out back. During this time, I was offered a set of front forks, wheel and brakes off an xvs1100 which has DUAL brake rotors up front. I always thought yamaha should have put Dual brakes up front so i brought them and installed them. Had to do a little machine work up front to get the speedo drive to fit. got it sorted and got it out the garage to test run and had a little problem.

Started the bike up and got a lot of WHITE smoke out the rear cylinder exhaust. Not sure what is up. did a compression check and both cylinders match so eliminated that. Changed the spark plugs, fresh fuel and still smoking. Checked oil level and everything ok so I was stumped.

Does anyone have any Ideas?. The only thing I can think of is the bike is flooding on the rear cylinder and pushing this out the exhaust. I have adjusted the float level tonight, but not had chance to run the bike as the exhausts are LOUD. it's louder than my Silverado and that's running a 4" open exhaust.

You can't crap on what you can't catch. and a bike is not a bike unless you feel it in you chest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. can't help you with your problem but i'm sure someone here will chime in
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Welcome

Don't know how long you ran the bike. Do you think the oil you shot into the cylinder blew out into the exhaust and is still burning off?

Does it smell of gasoline? if so you might check the float on that carb.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Don't know how long you ran the bike. Do you think the oil you shot into the cylinder blew out into the exhaust and is still burning off?

Does it smell of gasoline? if so you might check the float on that carb.

Dave
Hello dave,

thanks for the reply.

I shot the oil into the barrels when I first re-commissioned 6 months ago and I have done roughly 500 miles on her.

What is puzzling me is the the " smoke " is white as if it's a water cooled bike and the head gasket is gone. There is no blue tint to the smoke at all.

I'm gonna run the bike to day and see if the float level change has worked. I also managed to find some pictures of my bikes.

[IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab128/boothybunch/100_4246.jpg[/IMG

You can't crap on what you can't catch. and a bike is not a bike unless you feel it in you chest
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM

If it was fuel it would be black smoke and it would be backfiring alot. Does it smoke less the longer you run it? It could be a worn valve guide. When the intake valve is opening and you have a worn valve guide it will also suck oil down through the valve guide and into the cylinder. Based on your description this sounds like it might be a good place to start. Hope this helps.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply HTMNKYLVE.

I have been thinking along valve stem seals or a worn valve guide like you suggested but didn't want to go down that route unless a last resort due to the bike only having 4700 miles on the clock, but if I have to, I will.

I downloaded the service manual and have been scanning through it looking at how big a job it's going to be to pull the engine down and can't see it being a major problem. If I am going that route, I'll pull the entire bike apart and clean, paint and polish it up . While it's out, I'll give it a mild port job.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode