First Ride - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

First Ride

Back in August I took the Rider's Edge Motorcycle course at UKE's Harley Davidson dealership in Kenosha Wisconsin. Passed the course on the Monday, wrote the test on the Wed, bought a new Yamaha VStar 950 that night. Since the first time I had ridden a bike was at the course and it was a Buell Blast, I was uncomfortable to ride the new 950 home from the dealership. The dealership was about 1.5 hours from home and in a high traffic area. Paid to have it delivered to my home, it was to arrive on Thursday that week.
Called my insurance that day and got insurance but they could not have my slip ready so they suggested I should not drive until i got the slip. Yeah right, new bike being delivered and not able to ride it.

The bike arrived and I thought, wow is this bike big, seemed much smaller at the dealership. I was pretty nervous about riding it. I decided until I get used to it, I would just ride it around my subdivision. I live in a pretty exclusive area and there is no traffic and the loop is approximately 3/4 of a mile. So I eased out on the street and felt like a 16 year old taking the car out for the first time, pretty nervous. Anyway went around the block about 10 times with my bright yellow full face helmet on. I stopped to talk with a neighbour wanted to show him my new ride and I guess show off. The next thing I know the local police pull up beside me and address my neighbour, " Do you know this guy?' I tell them I live 2 doors down, they still look to my neighbour for confirmation, he agrees. The police officer then states one of the neighbours had called to say a stranger on a motorcycle keeps circling the neighbourhood. I explained I just got the bike and before going out into the main road I wanted to get used the bike, he seemed to understand. Then the other police officer proceeds to get out of the car, then I start to panick, I remembered I had no insurance slip and in my haste, I was not even carrying my license. The officer walks over to me and then starts admiring the bike and asks me a few questions about the bike and then gets back into the car, Whew what a relief.
To say the least my heart was pounding a mile a minute.

Had many great rides with the bike last fall and put on 1500 miles in about 6 weeks. I am hooked. So much so that I have just bought a new Yamaha Raider S. Time to try and sell the VStar 950, need money for upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM

LOL, Welcome to the forum You can sure have fun here, learn some, and just enjoy. A good group of lighthearted folks always willing to help and throw out a good funny too

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

howdy .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Welcome! But I hate to see ya give up on the 950 so soon.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 AM

Welcome from the Australian end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode