Possible new owner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Possible new owner

Hey guys im possibly buying a 2001 v star 650. It has a old school hot rod style which is basically the main reason why i want it. the only problem is the mediocre power. im going to be going to the beach alot and was wondering if it would be easy to cruise at 80mph speeds on this bike? if not then what are the options i have for putting more power up? the only thing i know of are wires and coils, a dyna ignition, hypercharger and exhaust. was wondering if anyone else knows how i would be able to bump up the performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM

80 mph?

Jetlife,

Eighty is getting near the top end for a 650. Wife and I had one for a while. I rode it a few times, I never toped it out but I suspect somewhere around 85 to 90. The engine would be turning a lot of RPM at that speed.

You can fairly easly change the air intake and exhaust then rejet the carbs. Adding 10 maybe 15% power. But, the RPM will be still high.

Nice looking bike, great for cruising, but in my opinion not for running at speeds over 70 MPH for long periods.

Don't confuse a 650 V Twin with a 600 cc sport bike.

Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Garage
The easiest option is to get a bigger bike. If you want to cruise at 80 then this is the only option open to you. One question though; are you not worried about the cost of the ticket you'll be getting? Could pay for that bigger bike.

My 2 cents worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 PM

how big an ole boy are ya?

seriously though. I weighed 175 and rode by myself for a good while on a 750 shadow, i know that has a bit more power, but ya know.....

also how experienced are you? crusing at 80 consistantly with any bike should come with the neccessary precautions, and such and so forth....yada yada.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

howdy. be sure to vote for bike of the month

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=4014

agreed. if you want to cruise at 80 and are asking about a bunch of mods, then it would be best to just go with a bigger bike.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:34 AM

Welcome JetLife !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

ya thats what i figured but this deal is too good to pass up. i weigh 165 and i have about a year of on the road experience. took the class and all that junk. have been riding dirt bikes my whole life. By the way cops do not care about 80mph speeds on the interstate. especially from people on cruisers. they're looking for the 90mph+ around here with people on rice rockets.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM

You could go for the 1100. I used to own a suzuki 650 cruiser, never could push it up past 90, but that bike was a POS. I've taken my v-star 1100 up to about 105 on the interstate before, and that's with stock engine/parts/pipes.

Of course if you want even more power the v-star 1300 not only has a larger engine displacement, the pistons have a higher compression ratio as well. If I'm not mistaken the 1300 is a 6-speed as well, whereas the 1100 (and I assume the 650) are 5-speeds.

2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Bagger
K&N
OEM Crash Bars
Silverado Windshield

www.DannyGray.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife View Post
Hey guys im possibly buying a 2001 v star 650.
In that case, I'm possibly welcoming you...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

hey guys i pulled the trigger on that bike. ill put posting pictures in the vstar forum asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode