New guy from Alaska! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

New guy from Alaska!

Bought my bike in Jan and proceeded to make it into a bobber. Took 2.5 months and about $1,500 to get it to where it is now. Here is a pic of the bike when I went to buy it sitting in the PO's garage. I will post an updated pic tomorrow in the daylight.

Last edited by scaryslow; 06-26-2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: new pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:07 AM
Banned

Hello scary.
sounds like a fun project.
Juneau we are all looking forward to the pics. LOL

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 AM

G'Day Scary, welcome to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 AM

Welcome to the forum Scary! I originally bought my bike for the same reason....just couldn't make myself change this bikes original beauty. Can't wait to see the pics.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryslow View Post
Bought my bike in Jan and proceeded to make it into a bobber.

So....does it float? (I won't Alyeska again...)

Welcome to the 7th dimension
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Roads

Scaryslow,

Welcome, wonder how the roads are up your way and how long the riding season is? I have sometimes thought of a ride up that way. The roads on the way would be a big question also? I think they are getting better but don't really know. Or would I be better off to take the ferry?

Dave
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome aboard to the mother ship. Your in for a lot of fun and info. can't wait to see the other pic.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Hi Scaryslow
Welcome to the forum, like the others said looking forward to the pic's. Enjoy your time on here with us mate
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

First off let me say thanks for the welcomes and corny Alaskan jokes. And secondly, the roads here are fine just really bumpy at times. Rear suspension is almost a must. Riding season took off this year at the end of march and will end mid-oct. There is a select few who put studs on and ride all winter! If you ride up here take the Alcan Hwy, just be prepared and careful but you will love it and it is worth the ride! Now onto the new pics!

Removed front fender, rear fender replaced w/fiberglass bobber fender from SScustomcycles.com (highly recommended for cool stuff), headlight is ebay special $60 and it was plug-and-play , drag bars from the local Yamaha shop, front tool bag was free for helping a friend work on his harley! Haha silly harley owners Some stuff you cant see are oil filter relocation (making oil changes a breeze) and a Maxair flamewire kit (this made the BIGGEST difference in starting and battery life, I HIGHLY recommend this kit). Also did a Cleever clutch lever, which is sweet!

I have blacked out everything I had time to do, I was kinda in a hurry to make sure it was ready to ride and didnt want it to look like crap. Seat was from ebay. Took maybe 10 mins to weld the seat mounts up and an hour or so of measuring. Springer seat plus stock suspension equals super comfy!

Here you can see the cover behind the trans was removed and I relocated the fuel pump up to where the air injection system was. Then I trimmed the plastic that was down there away with a Dremel. This is still a project but I get to ride it everyday. Current plans in the works are; exhaust, taller front wheel, remove lower fork covers, custom leather side bag to cover the left side where I took that cover off, and some more black paint (want the whole thing black). My idea for this bike is Less-is-more kinda deal. I loved the look of the bike (except the seat) and almost didnt change anything...but thats just not my way! Also, I wanted to do what I could for the least amount of money without looking cheap. That meant going for the product that cost just a little bit more and spending more time on details.

2002 Yamaha Vstar 1100 classic (bobber)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Looks awesome Scaryslow. I love to see a work in progress. That double suspension would definitely would be an ASSet up there. Kinda got me to thinking about that Maxair Flamewire kit. You gonna stick with the floorboards or go to pegs?
Keep up the great work and keep us posted with pics as work continues.

Ride Safe
Mark

1992 Virago 750
2009 vstar 1100 classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode