New to everything! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Question New to everything!

Mornin star forums! Ive got an 01 650 classic, and this is actually my first bike. I've been researching star motorcycles for about a year now, and I've really enjoyed it so far.

Few newbie questions:

-how long should i practice before hitting the roads( I've got the MSF safety course this weekend)?
-I have a detachable windshield...is that good for new riders or just a preference thing?
-I want to take my saddle bags off, but have a stripped hex head screw. Any ideas?
-Finally...cheaper to paint or buy new fenders/tank?

Thanks for any feedback, and I look forward to learning from everyone here and riding as much as possible. (I've found out pretty quickly that it's addictive!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Good morning LouDog! Congrats on the bike and congrats on taking the MSF course. That is the best thing to do when starting out. I had ridden for years and just took the course this year. Learned a lot and got the certificate for my M-class endorsement.

1) That is really up to you, but I suggest riding for a while in your neighborhood, it's an area you know well and you're already comfortable driving in. How long is up to you, and will depend on your comfort.

2) Windshield is really a preference. I had one that broke but I have to say it does keep the wind beating to a minimum.

3) You can try getting a dremel with a cutting disk and cutting a couple of slots into the head and then using a phillips or flat head to get the bolt off. Then take it to the parts store to find a replacement.

4) That's up to you and what you can find. Are you trying to get a customer look or to get the look of another stock V-Star. If you want custom it's cheaper to just paint yours but you'll lose riding time. If you don't want to lose riding time and aren't worried about cost, see if you can find a salvage yard or check out craigslist/e-bay.

Good luck, ride safe, and keep the rubber side down.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned

Welcome!

First thing you should know is that you're restricted to one question per month until such time as you have voted for the BOTM.

But since you're just getting here...

1. MSF is great. The length of time you practice is entirely up to you. When you feel confident in your bike and your abilities, stroll down a backroad or two, smell the flowers, don't hit any animals and plan your next foray.

2. Everything about motorcycling that isn't codified in statute is rider preference: bike, trim, engine size, farkle, seat, grips, windshield, clothing, etc. etc. What works for you is all that counts; the rest is just opinions. You like the windshield? You paid for it and it's yours. Enjoy.

3. The universal methods for removing stripped screws are either an "easy out tap & die" where you drill a pilot hole in the screw head, then insert a reverse threaded tap with a handle and unscrew the screw, or if you're lucky, simply drill out the stripped screw using a drill bit about the same diameter as the screw BODY (not the screw head...vewy, vewy, important...).

If either of those two methods fail, my fallback position is a 10lb splitting maul...

And now I've exceeded my monthly "genuinely helpful answer" quota, so I'm off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Welcome Lou !
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM

Welcome from VA LD.

---
Joe

2009 Road Star Silverado S
2009 Ultra Classic
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Welcome! Your first question is tough, like everyone said it depends on you and your own levels of skill and confidence and whatnot. What I did when I got my first bike was to go out at night - like, 2 or 3 AM kind of night, and stick mostly to side streets and neighborhoods. Obviously there is some danger with the darkness and all, but the drastically reduced number of cars allows you to mess up a little bit on the road and still be okay. I remember a few turns I took too wide that, just several hours beforehand, would have likely resulted in a serious accident. But that's just my 2 cents, it worked for me.

As for a windshield I've ridden with and without, its mostly about comfort/preference until you get into high-speed and high-distance riding. In all likelihood, you'll want one for the interstate, not so much for running down to the gas station.

2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Bagger
K&N
OEM Crash Bars
Silverado Windshield

www.DannyGray.com
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 PM

I'd say "welcome to the forum" but Im not allowed to talk to new people yet...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:44 PM

From one newb to another..welcome. Wait... am I allowed to do that?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Welcome loudog to a great place to get info or just have a good time. Lots of good people here. Good choice for a starter bike you'll be able to ride the crap out that.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM

new to motorcycles recently purchased a 2009 v star 950 great so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode